Is our TOP4 (D) Really that bad ?

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
So all and all there's 14 better D's out there IMO and 1 draw. Still we have better D-core atm than 15 teams imo.

We want to win the Cup, not be a middle of the pack team. Can't compare ourselves to crappy teams and pat ourselves on the back, gotta be able to beat the BEST out there.

Also, I didn't go through all your comparisons, but Washington for example has a solidly better blueline than us. Niskanen is a stud defensively, better than anything we have, and Carlson is a stud offensively, better than anything we have in that respect. Orlov, Orpik, etc round them out too. So we might be ranked more in the ~15-20 range, strictly looking at bluelines.

Ya, besides some of the rather optimistic evaluations and nods to our guys, I think we want to be much better than middle of the pack, especially in the playoffs. Given our exit in the 1st round twice in a row, I think a good analysis of what the missing ingredients are is definitely in order.

Given that we need at least one center and a top-4 defender, I think Dubas has some challenges and work to do.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
This isn't true. He's always had very good defensive advanced stats. He'll be a top 4 D no matter where he goes next. He's also getting a big raise. People go over-the-top in knocking Leafs D.
Advanced stats don't prove whether someone is a good defender or not, so it's not false that he's a terrible defender. People don't go over-the-top in knocking leafs D at all. What people say are true. It's a horrendous defense core that needs to be significantly re worked if the team wants to have a defense that doesn't suck.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
You don't finish with as good a record as we did with a "bad" defense corps.
When your goalie bails you out 24/7 and your offence scores quite a bit of goals, then yes you do 'finish with as good a record as we did with a "bad" defense corps'.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Advanced stats don't prove whether someone is a good defender or not, so it's not false that he's a terrible defender. People don't go over-the-top in knocking leafs D at all. What people say are true. It's a horrendous defense core that needs to be significantly re worked if the team wants to have a defense that doesn't suck.

If we were to ignore your posts, that might be true.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
That post does not describe my post perfectly at all. It's easily the truth and it's ridiculous to argue against it.
Ridiculous to argue against it? Jeez you're not some hockey messiah, stop acting all high and mighty thinking you're better than everyone else.
Your opinion is worse than the average Leaf fan these days.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
If we were to ignore your posts, that might be true.
unsurprisingly, you are incorrect. people will still say the leafs defense sucks because its true and there are many proposals made with the objective of the leafs acquiring a dman because they need a dman

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Ridiculous to argue against it? Jeez you're not some hockey messiah, stop acting all high and mighty thinking you're better than everyone else.

LOL. Holy understatements Batman!

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Like I said, the truth is out there. But then again, so are you. Hmm ...
i have found the truth. i already told you that and you are being, unsurprisingly, delusional yet again. if you can't handle being incorrect, don't be rude to others because they are

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
my opinion is not worse than the 'average leaf fan'. it is much better than the 'average leaf fan' because the 'average leaf fan' overrates everything about the leafs, including their defense, which is just preposterous

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
my opinion is not worse than the 'average leaf fan'. it is much better than the 'average leaf fan' because the 'average leaf fan' overrates everything about the leafs, including their defense, which is just preposterous

You're doing the same horrible stuff you think the "average leaf fan" is doing but in the opposite direction. You can't be this far gone to not see this right? You're acting exactly like any other casual fan.
Spewing hot take opinions and acting like it's gospel as soon as you type it down. You don't know how to explain your view points. You just say things and if people think differently, they're dumb.

Again, you're not some hockey messiah. You're an "average fan".

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
i have found the truth. i already told you that and you are being, unsurprisingly, delusional yet again. if you can't handle being incorrect, don't be rude to others because they are

Where did you find it? How did you recognize it?

You're doing the same horrible stuff you think the "average leaf fan" is doing but in the opposite direction. You can't be this far gone to not see this right? You're acting exactly like any other casual fan.
Spewing hot take opinions and acting like it's gospel as soon as you type it down. You don't know how to explain your view points. You just say things and if people think differently, they're dumb.

Holy overstatements Batman!

rent free

Apr 6, 2015

what i'm say are not hot takes whatsoever. hot takes are saying jake gardiner is a poor defender because of game 7. i am not saying that. i say jake gardiner is a bad defender because he's been a bad defender for his entire career. another hot take is 'the leafs defense is terrible' because of game 7. i never said that. i always say the leafs defense is crap because of how they play in their own zone.

another thing. whatever you claim i think i am or whatever i think of others is false. i don't think they're dumb and i don't think i'm a hockey messiah. they're opinions are incorrect, thats all.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
what i'm say are not hot takes whatsoever. hot takes are saying jake gardiner is a poor defender because of game 7. i am not saying that. i say jake gardiner is a bad defender because he's been a bad defender for his entire career. another hot take is 'the leafs defense is terrible' because of game 7. i never said that. i always say the leafs defense is crap because of how they play in their own zone.

another thing. whatever you claim i think i am or whatever i think of others is false. i don't think they're dumb and i don't think i'm a hockey messiah. they're opinions are incorrect, thats all.

Jake Gardiner is actually a good Dman and the Leafs defence is not crap.

Your opinions are incorrect, that's all.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Jake Gardiner is actually a good Dman and the Leafs defence is not crap.

Your opinions are incorrect, that's all.
my opinions are correct and once again, you are incorrect. its quite insane you actually believe a soft, turnover machine who benefits from playing on one of the top offensive cores in the league is actually a good dman. its more insane that you don't think the leafs defense is crap. theres more to evaluating a defense core than just looking at the stat sheet.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
When your goalie bails you out 24/7 and your offence scores quite a bit of goals, then yes you do 'finish with as good a record as we did with a "bad" defense corps'.

Our goaltending was very mediocre this year.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
my opinions are correct and once again, you are incorrect. its quite insane you actually believe a soft, turnover machine who benefits from playing on one of the top offensive cores in the league is actually a good dman. its more insane that you don't think the leafs defense is crap. theres more to evaluating a defense core than just looking at the stat sheet.

If you want to have a rational discussion, I suggest you stop routinely using words like "insane", "turnover machine", "crap" and so on. Also stop insisting you're some know-it-all oracle, it makes you sounds like an arrogant d-bag. I hope that helps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad