Is now the time to deal JVR?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
alright. I'll specify.

JVR's consistency problems is that he doesn't use his size at all. not all the time. Carlyle commented on this a few years ago. James before was a "yes but" player. You tell him anything and there was always a "yes but," response. (to compare this to new prospect Marner - everytime he is asked to do something, it's "yes, coach,, sure coach."

JVR does't use his body for a big man, he doesn't use his speed (you know what I mean - like you know when he can cut around a player and no one can catch him. he doesn't do that nearly enough). So this is (for me) quintessential big boy, big talent - doesn't use it/put it together consistently enough. And like Kessel my main problem is - it's okay if you are "not very good" but you can not be a liability. JVR is a liability. (and for him it's two fold, because it's not just even strength it's on the PK/PP as well).

And my pet peeve is that while his "in between the legs" move was all cute and all, it became his go to, instead of just mucking it up, and all. I am all team skill and all - but be a grit grinder some of the time as well.

JVR isn't necessary here. the only way I see him staying is if we can't get another talent (as it appears to me that they don't want to kick anyone from the marlies that they don't have to).
im not going to lie, i love jvr and want to keep the guy but whenever he did that stupid between the legs shot i wanted to go and strangle this guy. That move really was unlikely to ever work and he tried it way too often. Heres to hopinh Babcock tells him to keep it simple and drive to the net and try and force it in rather than that dumb move

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
nah i dont see it. He never got the chance to play under a real coach here in toronto who focused on proper defensive structure. Babcock will help this team out a lot. He gets to go from bozak to kadri as his center which is a huge boost for him both offensively and defensively. If he commits himself he can stay a 30 and 30 guy on this team. I dont see him going down to 40 points.

He sucked with Kadri last year and both of them are defensive black holes. I fail to see how things ends well. As I said this honeymoon is about to end very nastylike.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I think he has amazing value and should be moved on from if they can hit it out of the park.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
He sucked with Kadri last year and both of them are defensive black holes. I fail to see how things ends well. As I said this honeymoon is about to end very nastylike.
what are you saying, kadri was really good defensively last year. He improved his overall game playing with winnik and continued to be one of our best forwards, he continued to backcheck, and throw out hits under horachek. Now with winnik back i bet he improves his d game even more. Kadri can become a ROR type player for us going forward meaning strong two way forward who can play center or wing, hopefully we sign him long term under 5.5 million. And Jvr was better with kadri many posters here said it, the fact is jvr is a great talent that is young and signed cheap,he can score and produce points. He still has potential left that Babcock can helo him discover. He should be kept unless we are blown away with a trade.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
im not going to lie, i love jvr and want to keep the guy but whenever he did that stupid between the legs shot i wanted to go and strangle this guy. That move really was unlikely to ever work and he tried it way too often. Heres to hopinh Babcock tells him to keep it simple and drive to the net and try and force it in rather than that dumb move

I bet you if JVR does it when he could have simply tapped it in, JVR isn't touching the ice for a long while.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
if we are going to rebuild, don't half-ass it. everything that isn't locked up via RFA must go!

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
The thing that shocked me was, I really thought Leafs was going to trade JVR to Carolina for their 5th overall and Semin.

Anyhow, I will give. JVR a yr, if he can't play the Babcock ways, he is bye bye in my book.
In my mind, I am hoping Babcock can turn JVR into the big Center that Leafs lacking.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Montreal should be calling for him, they completely struck out today and they're desperate for scoring. Bergevin in his 4th season might be starting to feel the heat.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
I hope not. Other GMs will wait out this rookie management group until they get him for exactly what they want and not a penny more.

StatsNightHero

Mar 25, 2014
I think they'd be wise to move him now. He's young, big, talented and cheap for the next few years. He should be able to return as much if not more than Kessel. If we keep him he's on the wrong side of 30 by the time we are good and no longer cheap. At which point we'll be wishing we could replace him with a good younger player who is cheap. If we trade him, then we should be able to get at least a mid-first or an equivalent prospect plus some other pieces. And keeping him around through the rebuild might get us a few wins which for the next couple years we really don't need. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
They can if we eat Hornqvist' contract. 4.25 for 4.25.

Better than eating Kessel's 1.3 is it not? And we get better players back than we did for Kessel alone.

What the... are you trolling? Hornqvist is one of their key top six players, he's a better player than JVR, he plays a full 200 foot game, and he's only two years older. Why on earth would they want us to "eat" that contract? Go on the Pens board, I'm not sure they'd trade us Hornqvist for JVR straight up, and you're calling it a salary dump? Hahaha. SMH. :help:

I'm totally flabbergasted that anyone could think this.

Then again, you always randomly make up falsehoods about Leafs players, I'm not surprised you'd do the same for a team you know nothing about, but usually you at least make it a little less absurd.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

Well JVR's whole line as a unit was terrible defensively. He needs improvement, But it should be correctable.

We must have two guys named Kadri though; That's not what I saw.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
What the... are you trolling? Hornqvist is one of their key top six players, he's a better player than JVR, he plays a full 200 foot game, and he's only two years older. Why on earth would they want us to "eat" that contract? Go on the Pens board, I'm not sure they'd trade us Hornqvist for JVR straight up, and you're calling it a salary dump? Hahaha. SMH. :help:

I'm totally flabbergasted that anyone could think this.

you're also forgetting the fact that Hornqvist has a no trade clause.

JMilne*

I am a JVR fan but I do agree now is the time to trade him , but I think he would get more value at the trade deadline to a contending team because his cap hit is so manageable . A contending team trying to make a deep playoff run but is just missing a key big body goal scoring winger would love to have JVR I feel like he would be able to fetch a first rounder and a very good prospect

D3ADLY

Jan 8, 2009
Twitter @AgentDeadly
Leafs should be actively shopping Bozak and Lupul and not JvR. If someone happens to blow us away with JvR offer we take it other wise no need to even put up for sale sign on this guy.

socratic

Jun 27, 2011
JVR and Phaneuf to Washington for Laich, Burakovsky (or Kuznetsov), Madison Bowey (Top D prospect), and 2016 1st or 2nd.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Keep him until hes a pending UFA unless some team blows our socks off.

Sharabhi

Jan 10, 2008
Now is not the time! It's clearly a buyers market.

Someone has to score on this team and play the PP1, so he should still get the points, especially with Babcock's guidance.

HOTD

Jan 11, 2013
I do care if it means a guy we could have landed a small fortune for is suddenly traded for pennies on the dollar. I dont want another Kessel deal.

You're right, you're starting to convince me. Would help land Matthews as well :yo:

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Yes, JVR can bring back something great. I was pleased with the return Kessel got us but then I also understand his contract lowered his value. With JVR it is the other way around, he is not as talented as Kessel (a bit less flawed on the other hand) but he has a contract that makes him very valuable to top teams tight up against the cap (like all of them).

I think now is the time to deal him, before playing with less talented players in a more defensive oriented system hurts his production.

But who knows? Leafs might see him as a core piece for the future and want to keep him?

91Kadri91*

JVR certainly is, but Kadri most certainly is not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad