Is now the time to deal JVR?

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Most on here know that I am not his biggest fan but now I am genuinely concerned. His value may never get higher and in fact is more than likely to completely plummet.

His main plus is his beautiful contract which should make him a wanted asset but is it enough to cover the negatives?

He plays a soft game.
He disappears for games at a time.
He has no concept of defense.
And Im afraid were about to add lack of offense to his weaknesses as well.

Is now the time to sell relatively high on him?

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
I'd say sure, go ahead. Make sure you drive a hard ass bargain on this one though and get as much value as possible, taking on short term bad contracts too (that floor is kinda creeping up on us) to get more value.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Yes.

If i'm kyle dubas I'm actively shopping him and bozak very hard. Their value is going to plummet.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Most on here know that I am not his biggest fan but now I am genuinely concerned. His value may never get higher and in fact is more than likely to completely plummet.

His main plus is his beautiful contract which should make him a wanted asset but is it enough to cover the negatives?

He plays a soft game.
He disappears for games at a time.
He has no concept of defense.
And Im afraid were about to add lack of offense to his weaknesses as well.

Is now the time to sell relatively high on him?
i dont think we should deal jvr, but i think he would bring back a boat load. He has a incredible contract and that would bring us back some great assets plus he is only 26 and locked up for 3 more years. I think we should keep him unless we get an offer for a potential number one dmen like t.sanheim, or seth jones, or ristolinen. He should be our most valuable roster player right now

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Should have been packaged off to Pittsburg with Kessel to get a better return from Rutherford. But that opportunity was lost when Leafs let Kessel go for cheap.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If there's value, sure.

But I think waiting until the 2016 dead line or draft is better. We need some salary here and we need some form of top end contribution and he can provide that.

He's not untouchable though.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Should have been packaged off to Pittsburg with Kessel to get a better return from Rutherford. But that opportunity was lost when Leafs let Kessel go for cheap.

Pittsburgh can't afford both. They have only have 6 million in cap space and need to sign another 5 forwards + a goalie.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Yes, but not because I think he's a bad player.

His contract makes him very, very desirable among playoff bound teams. He could be worth a kings ransoms in futures.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
i dont think we should deal jvr, but i think he would bring back a boat load. He has a incredible contract and that would bring us back some great assets plus he is only 26 and locked up for 3 more years. I think we should keep him unless we get an offer for a potential number one dmen like t.sanheim, or seth jones, or ristolinen. He should be our most valuable roster player right now

Most valuable based on what though? Other than his contract, what is his great attraction to other teams?

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Well if they are going to deal him, now is the time.

Losing Kessel as a linemate and picking up Kadri and Lupul/Parenteau will only hurt his numbers, in all likelihood.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Most valuable based on what though? Other than his contract, what is his great attraction to other teams?
he has been a 30 and 30 guy for the past 3 years, would have had 70 points if the team didnt collapse. He is only 26 and can be a core piece, he has been great in the playoffs ever since his rookie year when he was third liner, he has shown to have some of the best hands for a pf. He can be soft but has shown that he is alright at defense in the few games that he played of bozaks line. Like you said he has a steal of a contract and has shown to be able to perform with elite talent. He would be traded for by a team with a great play maker who need a talented finising player.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
I would be looking at a deal around JVR for Maata + salary dumps.

Unfortunately, Kunitz and Scuderi both said they won't waive to come to Toronto. This is probably why we had to retain in the Kessel deal too.

Anaheim is another good option. Maybe Washington. Lots of teams could take on JVR's little cap hit.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
No.

JVR is a young player. He's a top line guy.

Is he going to have a rough year? Yeah. Because he and Kadri will be the only form of scoring we have. I don't care about trade value, because this guy shouldn't be traded.

Bozak, yes.

JVR? Nah

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino