Is now the time to deal JVR?

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
No, the time to sell was at the entry draft I hopes of returning a top 10 pick in 2015.

Ship has now sailed and so the next time to sell would be at the draft in 2016 when draft positions are known.

However based on his contribution and contract and much needed size on team full of smaller prospects he is the big body that will go to the net and stand in the crease screening the goalie.

Making an already small team smaller not the way to go.

I've only seen him do this a handful of times since being a Leaf. JVR is so overrated it's ridiculous. He's so far from a power forward. Lazy, bad defensively and disappears often for long stretches. I just pray that Shanny picked up on this and sells high on him.

dougieg93

Pray for Parayko
Jun 17, 2007
San Francisco, CA
He needs to be traded by the deadline before his no trade clause kicks in the following season. I would expect a fairly significant return as I imagine a lot of teams would be interested in him.

hockeystick89

Oct 30, 2009
I think the fact that we got him for Luke Schenn causes a lot of people to over rate him. His potential is intriguing but he is also so streaky. I say let Babcock and him spend a few months together then trade him next year if he doesn't improve.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
4.25 for 4.25.

You're NOT CHANGING ANYTHING. They'd still NEED us to eat salary.

Just stop.

:shakehead

The Penguins have 6 million left and a bunch of roster spots left!

Not only that, but they don't have ANY better players then what we got. We just got their best forward prospect and their 1st..

Actually we gave up a 2nd, and we may not get their first. It is lottery protected. Also we gave up Biggs and 1.3M a year in salary retention.

And we were actually shooting for their best prospects in Pouiiot and Maata. Not their 3rd best prospect. Fair return for an elite player who is only turning just 28.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
:laugh: Yes he does. it's why Philly traded him in the first place. head issues, and the fact he is v. inconsistent and soft.

which - minus the the concussion isssues here, is exactly the problem with JVR here. He should 100 percent go just as much as Bozak and Dion.

The number of players in the NHL without some consistency issues is slim to none and every player traded isn't inherently flawed. I don't know, just seems like a weak argument for one of the best assets on the team to be shipped out.

HOTD

Jan 11, 2013
No.

JVR is a young player. He's a top line guy.

Is he going to have a rough year? Yeah. Because he and Kadri will be the only form of scoring we have. I don't care about trade value, because this guy shouldn't be traded.

Bozak, yes.

JVR? Nah

Agreed. I'm excited to see what kind of impact Babcock will have with all the Leafs, but in particular JVR. I think he's got more to give.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
I think the fact that we got him for Luke Schenn causes a lot of people to over rate him. His potential is intriguing but he is also so streaky. I say let Babcock and him spend a few months together then trade him next year if he doesn't improve.

That sounds like a significant risk to take for a rebuilding team. Should we not be trying to maximize values? Does anyone see him being a valuable contributor by the time we are reaxy to contend?

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
I've only seen him do this a handful of times since being a Leaf. JVR is so overrated it's ridiculous. He's so far from a power forward. Lazy, bad defensively and disappears often for long stretches. I just pray that Shanny picked up on this and sells high on him.

He isn't a power forward, he's a skilled winger with a bigger body who can go to the net. If you'd only seen him do that a handful of times as a Leaf you should try turning on the game sometime, he literally does it multiple times a game.

HOTD

Jan 11, 2013
That sounds like a significant risk to take for a rebuilding team. Should we not be trying to maximize values? Does anyone see him being a valuable contributor by the time we are reaxy to contend?

He just turned 25 in May.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
The number of players in the NHL without some consistency issues is slim to none and every player traded isn't inherently flawed. I don't know, just seems like a weak argument for one of the best assets on the team to be shipped out.

He disappeared for games on end. Were not talking just here and there. He has no defensive game to speak of, was probably the worst floater on that line and is in all likelyhood about to take a serious dip in production. The only thing going for him is the contract.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
We are ahead of schedule on this rebuild we need to let the rest of the trades come to us.

Fearless

May 6, 2010
No Mans' Land
Yes, but not because I think he's a bad player.

His contract makes him very, very desirable among playoff bound teams. He could be worth a kings ransoms in futures.

I thought JVR performed much better when he was on Kadri's line last season compared to when he was with Kessel?

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
He isn't a power forward, he's a skilled winger with a bigger body who can go to the net. If you'd only seen him do that a handful of times as a Leaf you should try turning on the game sometime, he literally does it multiple times a game.

Maybe the multiple times were all in the one game he had shown up in between the 5-6 games of being non existent?

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
I'm torn on this one -- JVR offers size, skating, skill, and smarts (offensively anyway).

I never understood why Carlyle let the old "big line" get away with so much, but JVR definitely developed some bad habits. If he can develop a 200-foot game, he's a very good player, and the one that is hard to find. Would really like to see what Babcock can do with him.

Put him on a line with Kadri and a Santorelli type (maybe Santa himself), and see what kind of game he plays then - bet his possession numbers would go through the roof.

On the other hand, he's right in his prime years now, his numbers probably take a hit this year without Kessel, and he has a good contract, which is useless for the Leafs (they don't need the space), but would be very valuable to some teams (e.g. sending him to Chicago and taking back Bickell as a dump, salaries become a wash.)

But I don't see the urgency - only reason for trading him would be to trade high, so if offers aren't there, then you don't trade him.

hockeystick89

Oct 30, 2009

I agree that we should be trying to maximize value, I just think despite only being a couple years younger than Kessel, JvR will still hold decent value despite how the first half of next season goes. IMO he seems like a pretty coachable player and I would like to see what "the best coach in hockey" can do with him before shipping him off.

There could be a lot more to this guy, or he could be Ponikarovski.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
I feel like that without kessel, JVR's numbers are gonna go to **** and so is his value. This offseason would be the best to trade him and bozak lol

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
I'm torn on this one -- JVR offers size, skating, skill, and smarts (offensively anyway).

I never understood why Carlyle let the old "big line" get away with so much, but JVR definitely developed some bad habits. If he can develop a 200-foot game, he's a very good player, and the one that is hard to find. Would really like to see what Babcock can do with him.

Put him on a line with Kadri and a Santorelli type (maybe Santa himself), and see what kind of game he plays then - bet his possession numbers would go through the roof.

On the other hand, he's right in his prime years now, his numbers probably take a hit this year without Kessel, and he has a good contract, which is useless for the Leafs (they don't need the space), but would be very valuable to some teams (e.g. sending him to Chicago and taking back Bickell as a dump, salaries become a wash.)

But I don't see the urgency - only reason for trading him would be to trade high, so if offers aren't there, then you don't trade him.

I dont think we should give him away by any means, Im just worried that the honeymoon is about to come to a completely disastrous end and it may be too late to maximize value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad