Is now the time to deal JVR?

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Considering the return we got for kessel, I wouldn't trust this group with another significant trade for a while.

Sonic Disturbance

Grandmaster User
Jan 1, 2009
Depends. On one hand, the market value this summer has been terrible (see: Kessel, Hamilton trades). On the other hand, JVR's numbers will almost surely plummet without Kessel on the other wing. Before he played with Kessel, he had a career-high of 40 points. Maybe trade him while he's still considered a 30-goal, 60ish point forward?

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
he has been a 30 and 30 guy for the past 3 years, would have had 70 points if the team didnt collapse. He is only 26 and can be a core piece, he has been great in the playoffs ever since his rookie year when he was third liner, he has shown to have some of the best hands for a pf. He can be soft but has shown that he is alright at defense in the few games that he played of bozaks line. Like you said he has a steal of a contract and has shown to be able to perform with elite talent. He would be traded for by a team with a great play maker who need a talented finising player.
Dude is terrible defensively. Hes been a 30-30 guy alongside Phil Kessel. You think he even approaches that this year? This sounds a whole lot like all the reasons people wanted to KEEP Phil. JVR is just as guilty of giving up. He disappears for games on end.

Time to stop makinv excuses for him. Im willing to bet by this time next year if hes still a Leaf were talking about how we offload a soft 40 pt player.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
No, the time to sell was at the entry draft I hopes of returning a top 10 pick in 2015.

Ship has now sailed and so the next time to sell would be at the draft in 2016 when draft positions are known.

However based on his contribution and contract and much needed size on team full of smaller prospects he is the big body that will go to the net and stand in the crease screening the goalie.

Making an already small team smaller not the way to go.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
No, the time to sell was at the entry draft I hopes of returning a top 10 pick in 2015.

Ship has now sailed and so the next time to sell would be at the draft in 2016 when draft positions are known.

However based on his contribution and contract and much needed size on team full of smaller prospects he is the big body that will go to the net and stand in the crease screening the goalie.

Making an already small team smaller not the way to go.
A big body means nothing if you dont use it. And now he doesnt have Phil to do all the heavy lifting. He and Bozak are screwed.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
If we keep him for another year...he likely plays with Kadri and PA Parenteau (assuming Lupul is injured). Missing out on Kessel especially on the power play is really going to hurt his numbers. Babcock will also implement a system and ask for a 200 foot game, which means no more floating = more drop in offensive numbers. If he has a good year he could probably be a 20-25 guy with 45 points, maybe a bit more.

If we identify him as a core piece that we want to extend after his current deal and make cup runs with then keep him. Otherwise his value won't ever be higher than it is now.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I'd trade him. He's still young and can net a better package than a Brandon Saad. He's signed to a great deal so you explore options, but only trade him if you get a premium.

New Jersey could be a solid fit.

1st 2016 (should be a high one)
2nd 2016
Steve Santini
Reid Boucher

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
JVR has no baggage and a solid contract, they would have no problem getting a solid return for him. With that said though, I don't think you can ice all slugs like Buffalo, especially when top 3 are lottery now. There is very little benefit to finishing dead last vs bottom 5 both for draft and development.

Todd Skill

Feb 17, 2012
giphy.gif

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Pittsburgh can't afford both. They have only have 6 million in cap space and need to sign another 5 forwards + a goalie.

They can if we eat Hornqvist' contract. 4.25 for 4.25.

Better than eating Kessel's 1.3 is it not? And we get better players back than we did for Kessel alone.

Not hard to suggest and be creative. And if you are Rutherford why wouldn't you do this? You just gave him the best top 6 in hockey.

One would think you could ask for the world if a GM was offered this.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell

Better than eating Kessel's 1.3 is it not? And we get better players back than we did for Kessel alone.

Not hard to suggest and be creative. And if you are Rutherford why wouldn't you do this? You just gave him the best top 6 in hockey.

Maybe we should call him back??

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Yes. We traded a very bad young defenseman for him, and it's now time to trade him for a very good young defenseman.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
JVR has no baggage and a solid contract, they would have no problem getting a solid return for him. With that said though, I don't think you can ice all slugs like Buffalo, especially when top 3 are lottery now. There is very little benefit to finishing dead last vs bottom 5 both for draft and development.

:laugh: Yes he does. it's why Philly traded him in the first place. head issues, and the fact he is v. inconsistent and soft.

which - minus the the concussion isssues here, is exactly the problem with JVR here. He should 100 percent go just as much as Bozak and Dion.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I'm actually looking forward to see how he does with Babcock as his coach. If he's traded though that's fine, he's got really good value with his contract for a couple more years.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010

4.25 for 4.25.

You're NOT CHANGING ANYTHING. They'd still NEED us to eat salary.

Just stop.

:shakehead

The Penguins have 6 million left and a bunch of roster spots left!

Not only that, but they don't have ANY better players then what we got. We just got their best forward prospect and their 1st..

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
:laugh: Yes he does. it's why Philly traded him in the first place. head issues, and the fact he is v. inconsistent and soft.

which - minus the the concussion isssues here, is exactly the problem with JVR here. He should 100 percent go just as much as Bozak and Dion.
This is why I love you Daisy!! Clarity in the middle of a **** storm.

JVR has all the same issues Phil had really. Just less talented and a much better contract.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Hornqvist, for everyone saying "we could eat his contract", has a No trade clause.
And I would assume, like Scuderi and Kunitz - the Leafs are not on it.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
I wonder if there's a deal to be had with Anaheim and Nick Ritchie?...

You read my mind. ANA seems like a perfect fit and they have the prospect pool to make it enticing for TOR. I wonder what JVR + Gardiner could fetch from them?

Other teams I think JVR could be a fit for: Boston, PHI, CAL, WPG, FLA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad