Is Minnesota the biggest disappointment in the league?

Antsman41

Quack, Quack, Quack!
Aug 12, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Complaining about sickness, injuries, and un-lucky plays is more annoying than coaching issues, wasted money, and goalies.

How can we have the some of the worst illness and injury issues every year?

Can we hire a new Med Team or something, ****.

But... Yeo is also not good here. He doesn't hold anyone accountable and doesn't steer a tight ship.

Koivu is also worthless unless someone has hacked his leg or swore at him...

This team is frustrating because we never suck enough to fully rebuild like Chicago/Pittsburg and we have to please the fans by buying 'ok' talent every so often to barely miss the playoffs or get booted round 1, it's annoying...

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Minnesota has been a bit too reliant on big name free agents making up the core of their team in recent years. In my opinion at least. UFA is risky and not an ideal path to go for that.

I'd say they've been the most disappointing. On paper, looking at names alone, they should be good enough for the playoffs. Dallas was a team people thought or hoped would take the next step, Minnesota is a team people thought were already at that next step. Nobody should be surprised by Colorado. Nobody who follows statistics or understands how to look beyond single season accomplishments.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Minny will be no where near bad enough for McEichel. That's all but sewn up by Buffalo and Edmonton. I really hope Edmonton finds a bit of a hot streak to keep them out of the top 3. I'd be ok with Buffalo and Carolina landing the two of them, but please no one in the west.

As for biggest disappointment? I'd give that to Dallas. Everyone expected them to build on last year's success, and it looked like they were poised to do so with the acquisitions of Spezza and Hemsky. No one really predicted how bad their D would perform, or how hard Lehtonen **** the bed. They're basically like the Avs were last year, only without the ridiculous PDO.
I don't think so.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Yeah, I'd say so. Honestly, they look lifeless and anemic, generating little. Everyone except Zucker snd Nino having down years offensively, Vanek has been pretty bad (stop doing your stupid behind the ****ing back passes and snipe it), and inconsistent goaltending. Oh, and most of their d-men having mumps at some point hurts as well.

Honestly, I think Mike Yeo has to go. I'd be shocked if he isn't canned the way the Wild are playing. Hell, just making Justin Falk and Stu Bickel a pairing is grounds for termination on its own. I really like the Wild and hope they turn it around, because they sure have the talent to do so.

Yeo does suck and should have been fired the last 2 years but they just gave him extension after playoffs so I have trouble seeing Wild firing him at this time

Weber's Better
Jul 7, 2008
"Best top six in the league."

Just goes to show you can't buy success. Minnesota has splurged on big name free agents three times now and it hasn't won them squat.

I doubt any reasonable person ever claimed the Wild as the best top six in the league. They're usually bottom 3rd in the league in scoring and clearly don't have the guns to compare to Chi,Pit,Ana,etc.

In terms of most disappointing it's pretty clearly Edmonton, 1 win in 21 games after everything they've done. Boston would be #2 if the season ended today.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
Meh, every year it's somebody. Been hearing about those "improving" Wild for 2-3 years now or "watch out for those Wild" etc. Yeah, whatever. Show me on the ice. Same for all the juggernaut predictions about teams like the Sharks and Blues. Show me in the postseason. Win when it counts. Yawn.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Minnesota has been a bit too reliant on big name free agents making up the core of their team in recent years. In my opinion at least. UFA is risky and not an ideal path to go for that.

I'd say they've been the most disappointing. On paper, looking at names alone, they should be good enough for the playoffs. Dallas was a team people thought or hoped would take the next step, Minnesota is a team people thought were already at that next step. Nobody should be surprised by Colorado. Nobody who follows statistics or understands how to look beyond single season accomplishments.
UFA's tend to cash in, and then stop playing the way they used to...which is how they got the big money...in the first place...
As mentioned by many, you can't build your team with high profile UFA's over and over...looks good on their whiny owner, who insisted everyone just stop over spending, and the goes out and gets Parise and Suter...;)

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
UFA's tend to cash in, and then stop playing the way they used to...which is how they got the big money...in the first place...
As mentioned by many, you can't build your team with high profile UFA's over and over...looks good on their whiny owner, who insisted everyone just stop over spending, and the goes out and gets Parise and Suter...;)

Yea Suter that bum playing 30 minutes a night

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
I doubt any reasonable person ever claimed the Wild as the best top six in the league. They're usually bottom 3rd in the league in scoring and clearly don't have the guns to compare to Chi,Pit,Ana,etc.

In terms of most disappointing it's pretty clearly Edmonton, 1 win in 21 games after everything they've done. Boston would be #2 if the season ended today.

Ecxcept this year they are 11th in 5 on 5 goals. Not sure that's bottom of the league.

Last edited:

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Scandella
Brodin
Haula
Koivu
Granlund
Zucker
Kuemper
All Drafted by the wild

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
You guys nearly beat Chicago last year. Maybe a coaching change is needed but the pieces are there for success.

TJL48

Nov 30, 2011
St. Paul
I don't get the built through free agency comments. What were the wild supposed to do. They weren't bad enough to get high draft picks. There only big free agents were suter, Parise, and Vanek. Suter and Parise have been far from disappointments and I think Vanek will heat up and not be as bad as he started off.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012

Go back to August and September. Both Wild and Dallas fans were falling all over themselves arguing about who had the better top six. The Vanek signing and Spezza trade were being heralded for both teams.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
I don't get the built through free agency comments. What were the wild supposed to do. They weren't bad enough to get high draft picks. There only big free agents were suter, Parise, and Vanek. Suter and Parise have been far from disappointments and I think Vanek will heat up and not be as bad as he started off.

Exactly half the players on the wild were drafted by the wild. Vanek has got the wild to overtime a lot but they have failed to get the extra point.

TrustyPatches*

Colorado i like seeing them lose in the playoffs it's not as fun in the regular season.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Signing Vanek, not having a quality goalie, I'd say Minnesota are paying the price for dumb decisions.

RangerRider114

Sep 17, 2014
The Isle of Coney
Personally, I always thought Minny overachieved last year. I think they're right where they should be.

The most disappointing this year would have to be Boston and Colorado, by a landslide.

Nothingman*

Go back to August and September. Both Wild and Dallas fans were falling all over themselves arguing about who had the better top six. The Vanek signing and Spezza trade were being heralded for both teams.

Yeah. That is pretty entertaining reading!

I think the Avs were expected to have a little fall back from last year. Just not this far.

Stars are underperforming but are really fun to watch when they are 'on'.

The Wild are a conundrum of how to run a franchise from expansion. They had been focused on butts in the seats and just making the playoffs early on. And they did that....at the expense of the future with their midling finishes and trading prospects/players for aging stars past their prime (to put butts in the seats). I thought at the time signing Parise and Suter were a mistake because they were just getting their minors restocked because, at that time, they had nothing to speak of on the farm. But they went all in a year or two too soon in my estimation. They were banking a LOT on their youth being better than it is to fill the roster earlier than when they are ready. So here they are with a lot of low30s semi-stars with not really elite finishers and a farm system with very little. So little on the farm that anything resembling 3/4th line material is touted as a stud it seems (look at the Iowa record...they are last). And the youth has been just OK at best when called upon to fill the roster. Some decent youth but nothing other franchises don't come up with regularly. The Wild are paying for their impatience now. I guess, as I quoted the statement, when has a 'bought' team last won the Cup? I honestly cannot remember when in the cap era. And I thigh that is what me and the quoted poster are getting at.

I guess you can take it for what it's worth from a Hawks fan living in the Twin Cities with a more objective view than most Wild fans I meet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad