Is Minnesota the biggest disappointment in the league?

Oct 18, 2011
They currently sit 6 points out of the playoffs and have spent alot of money in recent years.

If they turn it around whos' spot do they take?

I don't consider the jackets a major disappointment because of the absurd amount of injuries they've had

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Yeah, I'd say so. Honestly, they look lifeless and anemic, generating little. Everyone except Zucker snd Nino having down years offensively, Vanek has been pretty bad (stop doing your stupid behind the ****ing back passes and snipe it), and inconsistent goaltending. Oh, and most of their d-men having mumps at some point hurts as well.

Honestly, I think Mike Yeo has to go. I'd be shocked if he isn't canned the way the Wild are playing. Hell, just making Justin Falk and Stu Bickel a pairing is grounds for termination on its own. I really like the Wild and hope they turn it around, because they sure have the talent to do so.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It turns out if you're hoping for Eichel, this kinda play isn't so disappointing.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
It turns out if you're hoping for Eichel, this kinda play isn't so disappointing.

Minny will be no where near bad enough for McEichel. That's all but sewn up by Buffalo and Edmonton. I really hope Edmonton finds a bit of a hot streak to keep them out of the top 3. I'd be ok with Buffalo and Carolina landing the two of them, but please no one in the west.

As for biggest disappointment? I'd give that to Dallas. Everyone expected them to build on last year's success, and it looked like they were poised to do so with the acquisitions of Spezza and Hemsky. No one really predicted how bad their D would perform, or how hard Lehtonen **** the bed. They're basically like the Avs were last year, only without the ridiculous PDO.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Minny will be no where near bad enough for McEichel. That's all but sewn up by Buffalo and Edmonton. I really hope Edmonton finds a bit of a hot streak to keep them out of the top 3. I'd be ok with Buffalo and Carolina landing the two of them, but please no one in the west.

I don't know. It doesn't look like most of the guys even want another win all season.

Billy Mays Here*

The classic Wild are back everybody!!! We're too bad to make the playoffs but we're too good to collapse completely and get a top meaningful draft pick. Except this time when we draft around 10th overall it won't be due to a lack of talent, it will be due to horrific goal-tending, no worthwhile centers, and a bunch of underachievers. Add in a coach that is in over his head and a stubborn GM that is unwilling to make the big moves necessary to shake this team out of its repetitive ways and you have a perfect recipe for repetitive mediocre results.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
"Best top six in the league."

Just goes to show you can't buy success. Minnesota has splurged on big name free agents three times now and it hasn't won them squat.

Billy Mays Here*

"Best top six in the league."

Just goes to show you can't buy success. Minnesota has splurged on big name free agents three times now and it hasn't won them squat.

Those nice wingers we've acquired could sure use a talented center or two to play with. Too bad we don't have any. Though in Vanek's case I'm not sure it would help much.

Acetylene

Every dog has it’s day
Jul 10, 2010
Sweden
Yeah, I'd say that Minnesota are the biggest disappointment so far. Not sure why people think Dallas would be good this year, with that horrid defense.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
Granlund is not up to par. I thought he was gonna break out in a big way considering he is the go to offensive center and he would be playing with good-great wingers every shift.

Mickey Redmond*

Nov 2, 2010
I'm really glad Sutter and Parise decided to sign with Minnesota, instead of Detroit. Thank you Minnesota.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The biggest?

EITHER

:avs They had a great record last year, then went out and added veterans Iginla, Tanguay and Stuart to compete even more and then... fall on their face.

OR

:edmonton They didn't add big salary veterans like the Avs did, but they were expected to turn the corner. And they did: into a blind alley. Hey, at least they are visually better.

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
The biggest?

EITHER

:avs They had a great record last year, then went out and added veterans Iginla, Tanguay and Stuart to compete even more and then... fall on their face.

OR

:edmonton They didn't add big salary veterans like the Avs did, but they were expected to turn the corner. And they did: into a blind alley. Hey, at least they are visually better.

They added Nikitin,Fayne and Pouliot who combine for 12 million in cap hit.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
They, themselves, aren't exactly disappointing. If anything, the circumstances that has lead them to this point, are disappointing. So many injuries and illnesses. Goalies sick and when they're not battling MS, they're battling walls. Our Top 4 just being a revolving door of mumps and injuries. It seems like everyone has been either hurt or sick at some point this season.

They played well last night and they were in a similar position last year. I ain't got no worries.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
The biggest?

EITHER

OR

Avs aren't even close. Fancy Stat followers predicted this since December 2013, what with their constantly being out-possessed and outshot. They then lose their best possession center and grab a pylon for their D. What did anyone think was going to happen?

Billy Mays Here*

I'm really glad Sutter and Parise decided to sign with Minnesota, instead of Detroit. Thank you Minnesota.

Look at you trying to convince yourself you never needed them, sounds like you're still bitter. Detroit would absolutely be a better team with them, so don't try to deny it or in this case, flaunting around that Detroit is doing better than us even without having signed them.

That being said, it is a shame their talents have gone to waste somewhat with this team. They're both very special players playing on a team where they're so superior to the rest of their teammates that it's almost painful knowing they could be doing far better on a team with other high skill players. Crosby and Parise on the same line would be magic. Or maybe a team where Suter isn't forced to play 30 minutes a night to make up for a horrific blend of AHLers that currently ride the merry-go-round that is our 3rd defensive pairing.

Oh, and you can't even spell Suter right so. . . . yeah.

They, themselves, aren't exactly disappointing. If anything, the circumstances that has lead them to this point, are disappointing. So many injuries and illnesses. Goalies sick and when they're not battling MS, they're battling walls. Our Top 4 just being a revolving door of mumps and injuries. It seems like everyone has been either hurt or sick at some point this season.

They played well last night and they were in a similar position last year. I ain't got no worries.

You're going to blame a number of players missing a few games each due to various sicknesses as the reason this team sucks right now? No, the problems with this bunch run far, far deeper than that. Let's not make sickness and injuries an excuse here. Especially not when a team like Winnipeg has had its entire core of top 4 d-men all out with injuries at the same time and somehow they find a way to keep winning games.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
I'd say the Avs and Stars are the biggest surprises, but the Wild are the biggest disappointment.

On paper, the Wild have one of the best teams in the league. Them not even being in a playoff spot is definitely disappointing.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
You're going to blame a number of players missing a few games each due to various sicknesses as the reason this team sucks right now? No, the problems with this bunch run far, far deeper than that. Let's not make sickness and injuries an excuse here. Especially not when a team like Winnipeg has had its entire core of top 4 d-men all out with injuries at the same time and somehow they find a way to keep winning games.

Nah, instead let's blame the coach and trade away our captain. Were you saying the same things around this time last year? I bet ya were.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Both yes and no. They're obviously going pretty hard to be competitive. At the same time it's not hard to find weak spots looking at the roster. Definitely doesn't match up with the best teams down the middle. Playoffs, yes, should be. Top3 in the conference, no, shouldn't be.

Billy Mays Here*

Nah, instead let's blame the coach and trade away our captain. Were you saying the same things around this time last year? I bet ya were.

I've never been that big of a Yeo fan, but I've never been a huge Yeo hater either. I'm indifferent to him, though he is starting to get on my nerves lately.

As for Koivu, no, I'm not a Koivu fan. He's not a bad player per say, but he's not the center to lead us to the promised land. The only reason he's been our first line center is because we've never had anyone good enough to replace him. And I have every right to be critical of him this year. Not only is he not in the top 30 in production, he's not even in the top 60! Our supposed 1st line center is 68th in the league in points production! That's absolutely pathetic for someone who's supposed to be driving our offense.

And as for the captain issue, that's not a problem at all. Parise has displayed better leadership qualities the moment he arrived here. Give him the captaincy if Koivu ever left, keep Suter as an alternate and then just make Pommers the other alternate. He was Buffalo's captain for a while and would be fine by me to wear an A.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->