Is Minnesota the biggest disappointment in the league?

gopherman23

Jul 10, 2013
Minnesota
I remember everyone all Gaga over Granlund.

What happened?

He had a great Olympics, had 13pts in 17 games after the Olympic break, and he was good in the playoffs. Expectations were pretty high coming into the season as they should have been.

His biggest problem is getting knocked off the puck too easily. He needs to hit the weights hard this offseason. He also needs to shoot the puck more and not always try to make the cute play.

DonKingKong

Dec 18, 2014
Yup. The mild I mean wilds season is over. Everyone else may have to play 82 games but the Wild only get to play half a season. Looks like they are all done. Jeez. I am willing to wait and see how they do in the second HALF of the season before I throw them on the crap heap. The Wild struggled a bit during the first half of the season but a team with that much talent and solid coaching will turn it around or at least I am willing to bet they will. I for one hope they don't because when they are on their game they are one heck of a team but I still think that they will get it together and get back into a playoff spot before it is all said and done.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Kind of like what your team was built on? Hawks also sucked and drafted poorly. It is not foolproof....ask the Oil. That is the most simpleton hockey thought that is way too common here on HF.
Predators have had two top five picks in their history. One was their expansion year (1998) and the other was after a strike shortened season (2012). Blues and Blackhawks have had multiple top 5 picks including a few 1st overalls. For the Predators There is only 2 top ten picks on their roster (Wilson at 7 which was a traded pick for Vokoun and Seth Jones) neither is making a huge impact. Eventually those teams will fall to the bottom of the division.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
They will turn it around.

When all is said and done, they are kicking one of Vancouver or Winnipeg out of the playoff picture.

If their goaltending turns it around its possible. They are getting the goaltending Jets have been getting in recent years. Jets injuries on D could still catch up to them. Easy for me to say as a Jets fan but we seem to be picking up steam as the year goes on. Even our bad games we seem to be picking up points.

Vancouver is a red dwarf of their team from five years ago but even they have two solid enough goalies and plenty of players capable in the role they are in.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
I don't think you understand how bad Edmonton is that might be the worst team EVER and that's no joke 1 win in 21 games

And outside of that 4 gaem winning streak we had...3 wins all season...this is by far the lowestpoint in the franchises history...this management team has zero shame...to walk into the dressing room and tell the players that pretty mcuh no help is coming..figure it out...MacT says - trades are very hard to make ...meanwhile there was a trade later that very day...not to mention several players on waivers that could help (not be the solution) to our garbage C depth.

Anway, Dallas is the biggest disappointment...everyone and their grandmother thought the cup as all but theirs to lose.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Yup. The mild I mean wilds season is over. Everyone else may have to play 82 games but the Wild only get to play half a season. Looks like they are all done. Jeez. I am willing to wait and see how they do in the second HALF of the season before I throw them on the crap heap. The Wild struggled a bit during the first half of the season but a team with that much talent and solid coaching will turn it around or at least I am willing to bet they will. I for one hope they don't because when they are on their game they are one heck of a team but I still think that they will get it together and get back into a playoff spot before it is all said and done.

Yep. The Wild are a good young team, who are getting some awful puck luck this year. They'll be fine in the long run this year.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I think they have a good roster and a very nice, mobile defense. Mike Yeo needs to go. Don't forget he came from Pittsburgh, under the tutelage of one Dan Bylsma. His system can get predictable.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
It is a bit strange. On paper it looks like an excellent roster. I honestly don't catch many Wild games, so not sure, but it seems like there is a missing ingredient on that team.

DeYarmond Edison

drinkingpinkrabbits
Apr 10, 2011
Bored in the USA
I honestly don't ever watch Wild games now that the Wings play in the East. But I've been puzzled for awhile as to how they underachieve so much while having a considerable amount of star power.

Is it a problem with effort? With heart? Goaltending?
Serious question.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
It is a bit strange. On paper it looks like an excellent roster. I honestly don't catch many Wild games, so not sure, but it seems like there is a missing ingredient on that team.

It's called having worst goaltending in the league by both goalies.

Stu Grimson

Apr 16, 2014
For those mentioning Colorado:shakehead

Team played way over their heads and it was simple to see this was coming based on advanced stats. Not to mention their coach is hot garbage.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I honestly don't ever watch Wild games now that the Wings play in the East. But I've been puzzled for awhile as to how they underachieve so much while having a considerable amount of star power.

Is it a problem with effort? With heart? Goaltending?
Serious question.

100% Goaltending.

The Wild's goaltending has had a .864 Save percentage and 3.8 GAA in the month of December, despite still only allowing 28 Shots/game.

With the exception of the goaltending, all underling numbers are very solid for the Wild.

But just like great goaltending can prop up a bad team(Read:Colorado), bad goaltending can sink a quality one.

That's all we are seeing here. All the rest of the narratives about heart, needing better Cs, etc are just fluff. The goalies simply aren't stopping enough pucks.

space321

May 11, 2011
They currently sit 6 points out of the playoffs and have spent alot of money in recent years.

If they turn it around whos' spot do they take?

I don't consider the jackets a major disappointment because of the absurd amount of injuries they've had

Have you seen our injuries? We basically never had our top 4 D in the same game for the past two months, and our forwards are on a rotation too. Lately both our starting goaltenders have been playing with some kind of stomach illness. And now Zucker is out sick. And Granlund and Brodin are both injured. Nice isn't it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->