Is Minnesota the biggest disappointment in the league?

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I've never been that big of a Yeo fan, but I've never been a huge Yeo hater either. I'm indifferent to him, though he is starting to get on my nerves lately.

As for Koivu, no, I'm not a Koivu fan. He's not a bad player per say, but he's not the center to lead us to the promised land. The only reason he's been our first line center is because we've never had anyone good enough to replace him. And I have every right to be critical of him this year. Not only is he not in the top 30 in production, he's not even in the top 60! Our supposed 1st line center is 68th in the league in points production! That's absolutely pathetic for someone who's supposed to be driving our offense.

And as for the captain issue, that's not a problem at all. Parise has displayed better leadership qualities the moment he arrived here. Give him the captaincy if Koivu ever left, keep Suter as an alternate and then just make Pommers the other alternate. He was Buffalo's captain for a while and would be fine by me to wear an A.

I don't consider Koivu to technically be our 1st line center. I believe that's Granlund's duty. He gets more of the offensive duties, while Koivu is more of the defensive 2nd line guy. I think Koivu gets slightly more TOI/G, but I don't think he has the offensive responsibilities that Granlund has. Granlund is the guy that should be driving offensive production, which is a hard task to place on a young guy.

Our problem is that we've never had a true 1st line center, but they're not easy gems to find, and we haven't exactly been in a position to draft one. We always fell in that middling pick range where the "superstar" play-making, goal-scoring 1st line centers are already grabbed. Blaming Koivu for not being this superstar just doesn't seem fair, he's been very productive these past few years (0.8 PPG). He's off to a very slow start, but so is the team.

If Koivu ever left, Parise would get the C, but I feel as a team, getting rid of the captain and the face of your franchise for such a long time, would be a bit demoralizing. But I don't think it needs to come to that and I don't think it ever will.

How are we going to go out and get this #1 superstar center? Koivu isn't going to be able to pull that kind of player in a deal. Our centers may not be superstars, but we have plenty of depth at the position. Granlund and Koivu are both 2nd line centers. Granlund is the offensive version, Koivu the defensive version. Maybe we should start discussing trading Granlund, I mean he's only got 15 points and he's the offensive part of our Top 6. Seriously though, we don't need to make these kinds of trades and I don't think they'd help. There's not much out there and we'd have to give up a lot to acquire a player like that.

As far as Yeo goes, I love that bald-headed dude. Guy has brought us to the playoffs in 2 of the first 3 seasons he coached in the NHL. Consecutive playoff appearances and we actually advanced a round. Baby steps, it's not time to panic yet. We were in this position last year too and we had some terrible injuries then too, we came out strong in January and we were celebrating a victory over the Avs in Game 7 in May.

This team is better than they were last year and we looked great last night. I mean, c'mon, we were starting a 30 year old goalie that has started in 5 NHL games. Of course, it's gonna be a hard game to win. I don't think I saw more than a handful of chances by the Jets last night and we held them to 23 shots. Yeo's system was working fantastically last night and if we play like that, we're making the playoffs and we're gonna deserve to be there. I'm really hoping Brodin is alright at this point though because our Top 4 can't take that hit.

Jul 10, 2010
No, only because the best teams have one #1 center and a 1b type center

Minnesota needs to invest more into the Center ice position

And Koivu in my mind is a 2C not a #1 or a 1b

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
can't get how people think those 4 minutes should be played again

imagine there is no goal scored, do they have to repeat it too?

They currently sit 6 points out of the playoffs and have spent alot of money in recent years.

If they turn it around whos' spot do they take?

I don't consider the jackets a major disappointment because of the absurd amount of injuries

Colorado and Dallas say hi

Last edited by a moderator:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
You're seriously under-estimating the Devils. We still have plenty of time to fight our way into the mix.

I don't think you understand how bad Edmonton is that might be the worst team EVER and that's no joke 1 win in 21 games

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Avs aren't even close. Fancy Stat followers predicted this since December 2013, what with their constantly being out-possessed and outshot. They then lose their best possession center and grab a pylon for their D. What did anyone think was going to happen?

I think you can make a case for the Avs just based on how hard they've fallen. No one expected them to maintain top tier status, but I dare say no one expected them to toil in the basement either. That being said, Dallas gets my vote if only because Minnesota is predictably mediocre. Dallas looked poised for a run into play contention but their goaltending and defense have been almost as laughable as Hemsky's stats sheet.

You're seriously under-estimating the Devils. We still have plenty of time to fight our way into the mix.

Nobody can out tank Edmonton. They have failure down to a fine science.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
to us Nashville fans, Minnesota hasn't been disappointment at all :sarcasm::naughty:

I am very much loving Leipold spending all his wife's money for no results....

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
While I did expect Minnesota to take the next step, Boston has been a legitimate contender for years. I think they're the biggest disappointment.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I think the Wild will turn it around and be in the mix for the playoffs. I haven't seen enough of their games to have a handle on whether it's the goaltending or team defense or both but they are giving up too many goals. Once they tighten that up they will be OK.

Central division is tough. Last season Dallas and Colorado surprised but have not been good this season, although both teams have been playing better lately. This season Nashville and Winnipeg look to be legit after missing the playoffs last season. Ain't no gimme games in the Central.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I'm really glad Sutter and Parise decided to sign with Minnesota, instead of Detroit. Thank you Minnesota.

I'm not.

Think of how good the Wings would be with Suter on the top pairing instead of Ericsson. Kindl pushed out of the lineup and instead of having him having any minutes you have Kronwall-Suter-Dekeyser-Smith-Quincey-Ericsson instead. You understand how much better that makes the Wings?

As a Wings fan who thought Suter to Detroit was a forgone conclusion, it frustrates me to see him go to Minnesota and wonder what could have been. Especially since Minnesota with Suter has been arguably worse than Detroit without Suter. Like, come on, man.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Minnesota is actually playing pretty well IMO, they've just been hampered by incredibly weak goaltending (3rd worst team save % in the league).

They have a positive goal differential (+3) and are the 4th best possession team in the league going by corsi. Give them even average goaltending and they'd be solidly in the playoffs at the moment.

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
Colorado WON the NHL Hall Of Fame aka the Central Division last year. They are currently sitting in 7th and their goal differential is telling me that's not a lot to do with bad lucks. So they're gonna take the cake as far as disappointments go.

The Jackets have had injuries and are now on a tear.

Minnesota is actually a +3. They've lost some bad games like their collapse to my Rangers in the first month of the season.

Dallas hadn't established a strong defense, so to me that's growing pains for a contender.

Edmonton is more like... "guess it's not working?" rather than failing to meet lofty expectations. They sucked and still suck.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Bet that asshat parise feels stupid now. Still hate him for convincing Suter to sign w minny .

Who has the better team now, eh Zach?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I think most of us knew their centers were a little soft for the Western Conference, but I'm blown away at how ineffective Koivu and Granlund have actually been. I know their team problems run deeper than that but those two guys have been the biggest disappointments from the outside looking. At least they have the pieces/assets to re-shape their team as need be. It may be a blessing in disguise for them, to be honest.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
I'd say the Avs and Stars are the biggest surprises, but the Wild are the biggest disappointment.

On paper, the Wild have one of the best teams in the league. Them not even being in a playoff spot is definitely disappointing.

Now we know how jets fans feel not having any goaltending in years past. It really sucks.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I don't know about that center argument. Toronto and Winnipeg do more with less. There are also really bad teams with great centers, like Dallas and Carolina.

There are teams at the top who don't have top 10 centers. The Preds, Rangers, Habs, and Blues come to mind.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
"Best top six in the league."

Just goes to show you can't buy success. Minnesota has splurged on big name free agents three times now and it hasn't won them squat.

Pretty sure the wild drafted two of there top 4 d and devolped one of them. Same with the third leading goal scorer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad