Is McDavid, Matthews, MacKinnon the new Big Three?

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
It's telling how last year most of the anti-Matthews posts were coming from Sabres fans, and this year they're instead coming from Oilers fans. Like most people I think McDavid is a far better player than Matthews, but it's interesting that there's a bit of insecurity there.

If I were an Oilers fan I would expend no mental energy on McDavid vs X (the media will ALWAYS spin that narrative), and focus on my team's shitty ownership and management. People in Edmonton should be demanding Katz and his front office cronies heads on sticks, not getting outraged over another player stealing attention from their golden god.

Reactions: hockeeyyy

oilchamp99

Jan 5, 2011
Edmonton
Matthews vs McDavid isn't really a debate...anyone with any iota of hockey knowledge knows no-one is in McDavid's tier. It's the next tier where things get murky. Personally, I don't think Matthews is #2 yet because I feel he still has a lot to prove (i.e. needs to prove it for a longer period of time) but he does have lots of time to prove it.

The best part is neither player has peaked yet... I can honestly say McDavid looks better than ever out there and the fact he could and probably will get better, is truly mind blowing.

Reactions: Tmu84

i1

Nov 10, 2011
Newfoundland
Let me know when he breaks 70 points in a season.

When Laine was putting up a better GPG, goal scoring was overrated.

Now Matthews has a hot streak and it makes him the greatest. We will see at the end of the year who has more goals :laugh:

Matthews' career GPG is 4% higher than Laine's, if we want to ignore hot and cold streaks.

Also he got 69 points as a rookie and 63 in 62 last year, it would be more shocking if he didn't hit 70 :laugh:

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Matthews' career GPG is 4% higher than Laine's, if we want to ignore hot and cold streaks...
So? Who is comparing Laine to McDavid and MacKinnon? Jets fans don't do that. We are emotionally secure in what our 3rd year player has shown and don't need exterior endless validation.

Again, let's compare goal totals at the end of this year for the two if you want to go that route. Should be a no brainer AM finishes ahead, right?

Enough

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
No he's not to be honest, but with how much he's scored he hasn't needed to be. Infact he's been noticeably worse defensively this year then when he looked at his best last year.

That's pretty normal though when youngins first start scoring like this, and being relied on to score like this. MacK has never been a great defender, so with him, we've seen a pretty steady progression defensively despite the offensive explosion...but Rantanen hasn't been quite as good defensively as he used to be, since taking off.

Give them time to figure out how to combine more of that defensive side of their game with their offensive dominance. And honestly, if it never happens because they can't sacrifice any more attention/focus to their defense while maintaining their offense, then you still can't really complain. But with their youth and inexperience as league-leading scorers, them finding more of a balance as they mature isn't exactly unlikely.

i1

Nov 10, 2011
Newfoundland
So? Who is comparing Laine to McDavid and MacKinnon? Jets fans don't do that. We are emotionally secure in what our 3rd year player has shown and don't need exterior endless validation.

Again, let's compare goal totals at the end of this year for the two if you want to go that route. Shoild be a no brainer AM finishes ahead, right?

Enough

I quoted you comparing Laine to Matthews, I never brought up either of those players.
Laine is also an elite goal scorer so far in his career, enjoy him.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
That's pretty normal though when youngins first start scoring like this, and being relied on to score like this. MacK has never been a great defender, so with him, we've seen a pretty steady progression defensively despite the offensive explosion...but Rantanen hasn't been quite as good defensively as he used to be, since taking off.

Give them time to figure out how to combine more of that defensive side of their game with their offensive dominance. And honestly, if it never happens because they can't sacrifice any more attention/focus to their defense while maintaining their offense, then you still can't really complain. But with their youth and inexperience as league-leading scorers, them finding more of a balance as they mature isn't exactly unlikely.

Of course it is, I was just telling the truth about him. We don't need to lie about Matthews to make him seem better than he already is, he hasn't been as good defensively but I'll take the 10 goals in 7 games anytime over Selke level defense.

Last edited:
Reactions: cgf

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
It's telling how last year most of the anti-Matthews posts were coming from Sabres fans, and this year they're instead coming from Oilers fans. Like most people I think McDavid is a far better player than Matthews, but it's interesting that there's a bit of insecurity there.

If I were an Oilers fan I would expend no mental energy on McDavid vs X (the media will ALWAYS spin that narrative), and focus on my team's ****ty ownership and management. People in Edmonton should be demanding Katz and his front office cronies heads on sticks, not getting outraged over another player stealing attention from their golden god.
Probably because leafs fans love to compare almost as much as they love to have the best of something. You can blame it on the media but I've been around here long enough to see a pattern of behavior from leafs fans. When a player gets hot they love to compare him to a superior player who may be going through a tough stretch or season, like when mcdavid had the flu last october.

But you're right, there is no comparison to be made. Leafs fans should spend more time being happy about having their first real roster in decades rather than wondering if morgan rielly is the best pick from 2012, or if Kadri has the best contract in the league, or if zaitsev is the best fa acquisition of last season, or if the leafs have the best center depth in the league, or if Toronto is the best place in the league you play.

Now, before you reply to me, i suggest that you worry about something a little more important than a strangers opinion over the internet. I suggest you worry about climate change instead. Put your efforts towards that.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
He was absolutely dominant against Washington lmao

Matthews legend grows in Stanley Cup playoff spotlight: Arthur | The Star

The Capitals had no answer for his line. They were completely flummoxed. What killed the Leafs is the Capitals insane depth.

Hahaha what a fluff piece of garbage article. Yeah he had 1 shot in the first two game and lost the possession battle badly. Then had a good game three and sub par game 4. That article reads like it was written by someone from the Leafs board.

Last edited by a moderator:

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
What does McDavid being tier up from the other two have to do with the OP question? McDavid is better than MacKinnon and Matthews but that doesn't mean they cant be the next big 3 in the NHL. The question wasn't whether or not McDavid was better than the other two, its whether or not this 3 players are the new big 3 in the NHL

Edit:^^^^this post is directed towards few people who answered no to the question saying McDavid is better than the other two

Last edited:
Reactions: hockeeyyy

hockeeyyy

Sep 29, 2017
Hahaha what a fluff piece of garbage article. Yeah he had 1 shot in the first two game and lost the possession battle badly. Then had a good game three and sub par game 4. That article reads like it was written by someone from the Leafs board.
A national sports writer getting quotes from the capitals is fluff piece of garbage? Lol okay.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Actually it’s the exact opposite of cherry picking numbers. What you did is cherry picking numbers. :laugh:
How are Scheifele's numbers from before he broke out relevant to this discussion? Saying he's better now and has been better for years isn't cherry picking, it's ignoring irrelevant outdated information.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
What does McDavid being tier up from the other two have to do with the OP question? McDavid is better than MacKinnon and Matthews but that doesn't mean they cant be the next big 3 in the NHL. The question wasn't whether or not McDavid was better than the other two, its whether or not this 3 players are the new big 3 in the NHL

Edit:^^^^this post is directed towards few people who answered no to the question saying McDavid is better than the other two

Having a “Big 3” implies the players are of similar caliber and also that there is a gap after them and whoever is considered #4. The gap between McDavid and these 2 is larger than the gap between Matthews/Mackinnon and #4/5. So what’s the point of a big 3?

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN

If I were an Oilers fan I would expend no mental energy on McDavid vs X (the media will ALWAYS spin that narrative), and focus on my team's ****ty ownership and management. People in Edmonton should be demanding Katz and his front office cronies heads on sticks, not getting outraged over another player stealing attention from their golden god.

Why don’t you take your own advice and be just focused on your great start, and great 6-7 players. Instead of trying to gain even more (if that’s possible) attention TO YOUR golden god. As that’s what you just called McDavid to Oiler fans. I’m sure they don’t call him that but they’re not far off. He’s called McJesus for a reason ya know...

Also, I really don’t see what’s that telling about it at all anyway? There have been McD-Matthews comparisons by leaf fans and toronto media, every day for the last and first two weeks of this season. Of course Oiler fans are going to laugh. If he offended but if they’re laughing then better on them.

I don’t know how much you watch McDavid but there’s is nobody even close to him. And if there is, it’s Sid. He always starts slow though. Not to say Matthews can’t be one day though.

And if your post was meant to say “it’s telling that sabres fans aren’t anti-Matthews as much as Oiler fans now” as an indication to suggest he’s closer to mcdavid then he is to Jack, then well....lol.

So far this is how it’s been when they’ve been in the league at the same time. Yes, Mcdavid and Eichel are a year older but Matthes has a tremendous luxury of not being stuck as the main focus and only real threat like the other two.

(No point comparing 2015 but I’ll add it in case you think I’m dodging it, but eichel got 56 in 81 and McDavid was injured half the year and put up 48 in 44 or something, while Matthews didn’t play)

So while they’ve all played against the same competition head to head:
—————

16-17:

McDavid 100 pts in 82 GP. (1.20ish PPG)

Eichel 57 pts in 61 GP. (0.94 PPG)

Matthews 69 pts in 82 GP. (0.84 PPG)

Then last year:

——
17-18:

McDavid 108 pts in 82 GP. (1.24ish)
-

-

Matthews 63 in 62 GP (1.01 PPG)

(2 pts in 7 playoff games) -Season w/Playoffs 0.95 PPG

Eichel 64 in 67 GP. (0.95 PPG)

This season

McDavid 11 pts in 5GP. (2.01 PPG)

Matthews 16 pts in 8GP (2.00 PPG)

Eichel 8 pts in 8GP (1.00PPG)

So other then a 6-8 game stretch this year with insane projections, its really the only time mcdavid and Matthews have been remotely close, and no matter how you doin it eichel and Matthews have been closer. It’s not an insult as I’ve said, if some if you soent some time watching the games he played (as many of you have flat out admitted you don’t, yet still criticize that in which you don’t see.) you wouldn’t be insulted.

**cue the insecure “ but EVSGF p/60!!! And “not as much ice time!” Arguments pending .....despite him not always going up against the best checking forwards/shutdown defensemen competition every night like eichel and mcdavid do. (Leafs overall depth must be nice)

The best objectivity comes from the eye test. No corneal abrasions here last I checked and I view both players and all bias aside they both can take control of a game at any time when the puck goes to their stick. Matthews is better without the puck but Eichel is improving.

Offensively, it’s extremely close between Eich and Matthews and based on skill Eichs ceiling is as high as anyone not named Connor, but you can’t deny the early success of Matthews.....so sure, he is ahead right now..... but it is what I said it is, really Early.

Remember when Schenn Schwartz and Petriangelo were averaging two points per game almost at this time last year? That didn’t last long. It won’t for the leafs either. (He isn’t getting 164 points)

That’s all I’m saying on the subject too, but the only thing “pretty telling” here ISN’T that Oiler fans are anti-Matthews as much as it’s that they have every right to be ....if the two are compared, right now anyway because as of this moment there is no comparison to be made.

Last edited:
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
How are Scheifele's numbers from before he broke out relevant to this discussion? Saying he's better now and has been better for years isn't cherry picking, it's ignoring irrelevant outdated information.

No it’s selectively picking stats that suit your agenda. It’s cherry picking. Seguin has been the better player since day one and continues to be at least on the same level. I’ll take the guy who has proven to be better for longer.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

Kind of defeats the purpose of saying there is a Big 3 when one of them stands out from that group.

Reactions: nabob

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
A national sports writer getting quotes from the capitals is fluff piece of garbage? Lol okay.

Damien Cox is a national Sports writer as well. His work is garbage too.

The quotes don’t back up the stats posted. To say he dominated while losing the puck possession badly and getting one shot in the first two games shows what a joke it and your post are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad