Is McDavid, Matthews, MacKinnon the new Big Three?

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
No it’s selectively picking stats that suit your agenda. It’s cherry picking. Seguin has been the better player since day one and continues to be at least on the same level. I’ll take the guy who has proven to be better for longer.
So using stats from 4 years ago is relevant on who is the better player today? I would take Schiefele in a heartbeat over Seguin, ignoring contracts.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Having a “Big 3” implies the players are of similar caliber and also that there is a gap after them and whoever is considered #4. The gap between McDavid and these 2 is larger than the gap between Matthews/Mackinnon and #4/5. So what’s the point of a big 3?

Exactly it’s MCDavid and then the next 6-7. There is no big 3.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
No it’s selectively picking stats that suit your agenda. It’s cherry picking. Seguin has been the better player since day one and continues to be at least on the same level. I’ll take the guy who has proven to be better for longer.
You can believe whatever ridiculous things you want. Doesn't change the fact that Scheifele is better and has been for multiple years. If you want to continue to rank them based on their rookie stats, don't expect people to respect that opinion.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
You can believe whatever ridiculous things you want. Doesn't change the fact that Scheifele is better and has been for multiple years. If you want to continue to rank them based on their rookie stats, don't expect people to respect that opinion.

Multiple years? No he played on a much better team last year. Seguin has 17 more goals last season and 18 more points. Seems like he was better last year.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Yeah you’re done.
Yeah, your logic is fantastic. He outscored him in more games, therefore he's the better player.

Except that Scheifele scored 14 goals and 20 points in the playoffs, while Seguin scored zero. Therefore, Scheifele is the better player.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Multiple years? No he played on a much better team last year. Seguin has 17 more goals last season and 18 more points. Seems like he was better last year.
You know Scheifele was injured, right? Keep grasping at those straws

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Why don’t you take your own advice and be just focused on your great start, and great 6-7 players. Instead of trying to gain even more (if that’s possible) attention TO YOUR golden god. As that’s what you just called McDavid to Oiler fans. I’m sure they don’t call him that but they’re not far off. He’s called McJesus for a reason ya know...

Also, I really don’t see what’s that telling about it at all anyway? There have been McD-Matthews comparisons by leaf fans and toronto media, every day for the last and first two weeks of this season. Of course Oiler fans are going to laugh. If he offended but if they’re laughing then better on them.

I don’t know how much you watch McDavid but there’s is nobody even close to him. And if there is, it’s Sid. He always starts slow though. Not to say Matthews can’t be one day though.

And if your post was meant to say “it’s telling that sabres fans aren’t anti-Matthews as much as Oiler fans now” as an indication to suggest he’s closer to mcdavid then he is to Jack, then well....lol.

So far this is how it’s been when they’ve been in the league at the same time. Yes, Mcdavid and Eichel are a year older but Matthes has a tremendous luxury of not being stuck as the main focus and only real threat like the other two.

(No point comparing 2015 but I’ll add it in case you think I’m dodging it, but eichel got 56 in 81 and McDavid was injured half the year and put up 48 in 44 or something, while Matthews didn’t play)

So while they’ve all played against the same competition head to head:
—————

16-17:

McDavid 100 pts in 82 GP. (1.20ish PPG)

Eichel 57 pts in 61 GP. (0.94 PPG)

Matthews 69 pts in 82 GP. (0.84 PPG)

Then last year:

——
17-18:

McDavid 108 pts in 82 GP. (1.24ish)
-

-

Matthews 63 in 62 GP (1.01 PPG)

(2 pts in 7 playoff games) -Season w/Playoffs 0.95 PPG

Eichel 64 in 67 GP. (0.95 PPG)

This season

McDavid 11 pts in 5GP. (2.01 PPG)

Matthews 16 pts in 8GP (2.00 PPG)

Eichel 8 pts in 8GP (1.00PPG)

So other then a 6-8 game stretch this year with insane projections, its really the only time mcdavid and Matthews have been remotely close, and no matter how you doin it eichel and Matthews have been closer. It’s not an insult as I’ve said, if some if you soent some time watching the games he played (as many of you have flat out admitted you don’t, yet still criticize that in which you don’t see.) you wouldn’t be insulted.

**cue the insecure “ but EVSGF p/60!!! And “not as much ice time!” Arguments pending .....despite him not always going up against the best checking forwards/shutdown defensemen competition every night like eichel and mcdavid do. (Leafs overall depth must be nice)

The best objectivity comes from the eye test. No corneal abrasions here last I checked and I view both players and all bias aside they both can take control of a game at any time when the puck goes to their stick. Matthews is better without the puck but Eichel is improving.

Offensively, it’s extremely close between Eich and Matthews and based on skill Eichs ceiling is as high as anyone not named Connor, but you can’t deny the early success of Matthews.....so sure, he is ahead right now..... but it is what I said it is, really Early.

Remember when Schenn Schwartz and Petriangelo were averaging two points per game almost at this time last year? That didn’t last long. It won’t for the leafs either. (He isn’t getting 164 points)

That’s all I’m saying on the subject too, but the only thing “pretty telling” here ISN’T that Oiler fans are anti-Matthews as much as it’s that they have every right to be ....if the two are compared, right now anyway because as of this moment there is no comparison to be made.
:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: why are you in every Matthews thread trying to sell everyone including yourself on Eichel = Matthews

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
You know Scheifele was injured, right? Keep grasping at those straws

You know Seguin had 17 more goals. Would Scheifele have scored 17 goals if he played in 22 more games. Nope.

No need to get all in a huff because I correctly pointed out that Seguin has been the more consistent player in his career and they are very very close players right now and both in the group of 10 best forwards in the league. Not sure why you’re so sensitive about it. I haven’t said a single negative thing about Scheifele yet you’re acting offended for some reason.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Having a “Big 3” implies the players are of similar caliber and also that there is a gap after them and whoever is considered #4. The gap between McDavid and these 2 is larger than the gap between Matthews/Mackinnon and #4/5. So what’s the point of a big 3?

Not that I disagree with the obvious assertion that McDavid is hands down the best in the league, but I will point out that the gap that used to exist between McDavid and MacKinnon has drastically shrunk. Last year the difference in ppg between the two was .01 ppg.
MacKinnon also let the league in goals created per game at .50 compared to McDavid’s .49.

So my argument is that the gap is not large and they are in the same tier.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Damien Cox is a national Sports writer as well. His work is garbage too.

The quotes don’t back up the stats posted. To say he dominated while losing the puck possession badly and getting one shot in the first two games shows what a joke it and your post are.

Damien Cox is hands down the most arrogant, pompous, disgusting, hockey “analysts” I’ve ever seen on any panel, and I’ve watched milbury and Healy.

Disgusting as he licks his lips before and after he speaks when on hockey central at noon. Which is not often anymore thank god...

Check out these few quick stories, some are beyond incredible, how a person can be that way. And he’s not even playing a character, which would at least MAYBE make some of this stuff forgiveable, that’s the sad part.

First quick story/example displaying his Arrogance, not only does he brag about the leafs on the regular but he laughs at the suffering of others. And I quote after Darren Millard said Montreal never gets many high draftpicks but they did this year. Cox proceeds to say in a laughing, tone “Montreal finally gets a good pick this year (starts laughing while speaking) and they screwed it uppppp! Ah .... Haha haha” (about kotkaniemi)

*gets looked at awkwardly because he knows it’s u professional and his laugh was loud and it just didn’t come off funny. If I was a habs fan I’d be sweating in French.

Here’s another extremely ignorant thing he said last spring. This one was the worst of them. So Marc Savard was on the hockey central at noon panel wth him and Darren Millard, Millard says (this was during the day of game 7 vs the leafs) “so tonight if Boston should lose this will be the last game ever for their anthem singer who’s been with the team for so many years..” (Savard smiles because he must of been aquatinted with him while playing there) then Damien Cox says with a straight face right away..“Thank god!....hes awful so it’s about time.” (About it being the bruins anthem singers last game)

Savard had this look on his face like “oh really buddy, you’re actually going to say that’s about this dedicated guy and on TV for what could be his last game?” Absolutely classless. Kudos to Savard for being so professional to not even argue with Cox. Cox who is more “experienced” should of showed that acted like a professional. He could of at least backtracked and tried to make it sound better even if it was an impulsive decision, but he didn’t because he’s too much of a douche to care.

Also Savard said “I hope buffalo wins the dahlin lottery after Millard picked the coyotes.”

Cox goes “WHYYY?” ...Not in a curious way, in a way like a 19 year old at a party would ask his buddy why he didn’t want to go out downtown.”

Savard said “oh because they’re so helpless right now and I think it’d help them.”

Also on the show in late June (the same one with his kotkaniemi bashing) when buffalo squired Sheary ....Damien Cox says “why would BUFFALO of all teams give a third rounder aren’t they trying to rebuild?” Chris Johnston on the show that day was intelligent enough to say “we’ll Damien they’re looking to be better then dead last. They’ve been at this rebuild for awhile...and they need help on the wings.”

(I’m not even exaggerating with this about Cox then he goes in the most loud, arrogant “they suck so bad” type of tone)

“Oh THEY NEED HELP ahaha...” (in a way to say yeah no kidding they need help.)

anyway everything I named happened in the span of one or two shows. Those few examples are just a sample of what this biased, sorry excuse for an on-air personality is capable of. Great hire sportsnet!

Last edited:
Reactions: Frank Drebin

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Damien Cox is hands down the most arrogant, pompous, disgusting, hockey “analysts” I’ve ever seen on any panel, and I’ve watched milbury and Healy.

Disgusting as he licks his lips before and after he speaks when on hockey central at noon. (Which is not often anymore thank god, this season at least)

Check out these few quick stories, some are beyond incredible, how a person can be that way. And he’s not even playing a character.

First quick story/example displaying his Arrogance, not only does he brag about the leafs on the regular but he laughs at the suffering of others. And I quote after Darren Millard said Montreal never gets many high licks but they did this year. Cox proceeds to say in a laughing, tone “Montreal finally gets a good pick this year (starts laughing while speaking) and they screwed it uppppp! Ah .... Haha haha” (about kotkaniemi)

*gets looked at awkwardly because he knows it’s u professional and his laugh was loud and it just didn’t come off funny. If I was a habs fan I’d be sweating in French.

Here’s another extremely ignorant thing he said last spring. This one was the worst of them. So Marc Savard was on the hockey central at noon panel wth him and Darren Millard, Millard says (this was during the day of game 7 vs the leafs) “so tonight if Boston should lose this will be the last game ever for their anthem singer who’s been with the team for so many years..” (Savard smiles because he must of been aquatinted with him while playing there) then Damien Cox says with a straight face right away..“Thank god!....hes awful so it’s about time.” (About it being the bruins anthem singers last game)

Savard had this look on his face like “oh really buddy, you’re actually going to say that’s about this dedicated guy and on TV for what could be his last game?” Absolutely classless. Kudos to Savard for being so professional to not even argue with Cox. Cox who is more “experienced” should of showed that acted like a professional. He could of at least backtracked and tried to make it sound better even if it was an impulsive decision, but he didn’t because he’s too much of a *****e to care.

Also Savard said “I hope buffalo wins the dahlin lottery after Millard picked the coyotes.”

Cox goes “WHYYY?” ...Not in a curious way, in a way like a 19 year old at a party would ask his buddy why he didn’t want to go out downtown.”

Savard said “oh because they’re so helpless right now and I think it’d help them.”

Also on the show in late June (the same one with his kotkaniemi bashing) when buffalo squired Sheary ....Damien Cox says “why would BUFFALO of all teams give a third rounder aren’t they trying to rebuild?” Chris Johnston on the show that day was intelligent enough to say “we’ll Damien they’re looking to be better then dead last. They’ve been at this rebuild for awhile...and they need help on the wings.”

(I’m not even exaggerating with this about Cox then he goes in the most loud, arrogant “they suck so bad” type of tone)

“Oh THEY NEED HELP ahaha...” (in a way to say yeah no kidding they need help.)

anyway everything I named happened in the span of one or two shows. Those few examples are just a sample of what this biased, sorry excuse for an on-air personality is capable of. Great hire sportsnet!

Yeah he’s amongst the worst in history for sure.

Just because someone is a reporter and writes to a national audience doesn’t mean jack about the quality of their reporting.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Not that I disagree with the obvious assertion that McDavid is hands down the best in the league, but I will point out that the gap that used to exist between McDavid and MacKinnon has drastically shrunk. Last year the difference in ppg between the two was .01 ppg.
MacKinnon also let the league in goals created per game at .50 compared to McDavid’s .49.

So my argument is that the gap is not large and they are in the same tier.

The gap is large enough for Mac to be in the second tier. If can consistently produce those numbers then the gap would be smaller for sure.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
You know Seguin had 17 more goals. Would Scheifele have scored 17 goals if he played in 22 more games. Nope.

No need to get all in a huff because I correctly pointed out that Seguin has been the more consistent player in his career and they are very very close players right now and both in the group of 10 best forwards in the league. Not sure why you’re so sensitive about it. I haven’t said a single negative thing about Scheifele yet you’re acting offended for some reason.
You keep saying consistency but it doesn't seem like you understand that word

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->