Is McDavid, Matthews, MacKinnon the new Big Three?

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
I agree with this, but why is Hall never throw in with the McDavid, Matthews, MacKinnon, Eichel, Scheifele, Laine, etc.. arguments. Age?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Matthews needs to do something before he can be put with these two, please. Matthews is in the same tier as the other PPG players, and behind Crosby, Malkin, Kucherov, Karlsson.

What has Matthews done that hasn't been done by Seguin, Stamkos, Tavares, Barzal, Scheifele, Eichel, etc ?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Matthews needs to do something before he can be put with these two, please. Matthews is in the same tier as the other PPG players, and behind Crosby, Malkin, Kucherov, Karlsson.

What has Matthews done that hasn't been done by Seguin, Stamkos, Tavares, Barzal, Scheifele, Eichel, etc ?
Why is Eichel always put at the same level of Matthews? What has he done?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
As much as Matthews, which is a rookie season around .6 PPG, a 2nd season on a PPG and a 3rd on PPG.
And that's the only stat that is comparable. Matthews kills him in everything else. And only Matthews gets knocked for no "70" point season. Maathews had a 40 goal season as a rookie. Eichel has never cored 30.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
And that's the only stat that is comparable. Matthews kills him in everything else. And only Matthews gets knocked for no "70" point season. Maathews had a 40 goal season as a rookie. Eichel has never cored 30.
Matthews is a goal scorer, Eichel is not. Matthews never topped 30 assists, what about this ?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Matthews is a goal scorer, Eichel is not. Matthews never topped 30 assists, what about this ?
Matthews has scored more points and more goals. Matthews plays a lot less (Even this year) and produces more.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Matthews has scored more points and more goals. Matthews plays a lot less (Even this year) and produces more.
The only year where that is true is in their rookie season, Matthews does not produce substantially more than Eichel.

Also, we both know which is the way worst supporting cast.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
both have comparable stats. are on the same tier. willing Matthews isn't changing it. accept they are both great players.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Scheifele is an excellent centre, no doubt about it. But to suggest he's on par with Matthews or MacKinnon is pretty funny. I'm going to assume RedBar is referring to Scheifele's 2016-17 season, in which he produced 82 points in 79 games. A very good season for any first line centre. And the following season, a decent 60 points in 60 games.

But he's not on the offensive brilliant levels of Matthews or MacKinnon. In fact, I could probably reference a few offensive stats here:

Matthews: 40 HDGF / 16 HDGA; 553 SCF / 479 SCA; 63 GF / 31 GA
MacKinnon: 33 HDGF / 23 HDGA; 553 SCF / 516 SCA; 64 GF / 47 GA
Scheifele: 24 HDGF / 18 HDGA; 453 SCF / 398 SCA; 48 GF / 35 GA

The offensive gap between Matthews and MacKinnon vs. Scheifele is pretty wide. Defensively, Scheifele seems to have a better handle on things, but the interesting thing about Scheifele's numbers is that he's given up a lot of goals at evens compared to Matthews, who had two more games played last season. The even strength gap between Matthews and the other two is huge as well.

This doesn't even include the power play.

I think Scheifele deserves mention as one of the top-ten centres in the league, maybe top-15, but he can't carry the jockstraps of Matthews or MacKinnon. At all.

You're take on scheifele is garbage

He's "maybe" a top 15 centre. No he's absolutely a top 10 centre

Scheifele has score more than Matthews in the last 2 seasons
And did waýyyyyyy better than matthews did in the playoffs who could score only 2 points
While scheifele lead his team to the western conference finals
14 goals in 17 games

20 points>>>>>2 points AINEC
If I would rather have had scheifele in the playoffs last year, that doesn't change a few games into this season

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
I couldn't give a **** if Matthews was ranked 2nd or 50th if the team is making the playoffs and actually competes for the cup over the next several seasons instead of watching an amazing talent on a sinking ship.

Also if McDavid was on the Leafs people would call him so overrated like they do with Matthews now. There is no escape. Matthews will only get his respect IF he leaves the Leafs, and that's only so fans can find something to laugh at Leaf fans about.

Matthews gets tons of respect.

It’s not about that. No one even denies how good he is. It’s the media overblowing a hot start just like last year. We’ve seen this episode before. Yes, Matthews looks much better then last year but he’s still not Connor McDavid and this obsession from the Toronto based media to compare their best with THE best And SOME (not many) but SOME leaf fans overblow his value. I just called him the second best young forward in the game. That’s extremely high praise considering the other talents out there. I’ve seen every game Matthews has played this season except the last one versus the pens but from what I hear it wasn’t much to miss due to good defensive work by the Pens.

Anyway your right in a way that all that love can backfire and produce hate and it’s really no fault of the player of most of the fan base but this whole “no respect unless he leaves Toronto” I don’t buy. Sundin, Gilmour, Clark, Joseph got tons of respect. Maybe people want him to win more hardware or a round before they give him praise. Is it fair? No, not really but that’s now how it works here. It could be a lot worse. He could dominate every game and be stuck next to a team of nobodies and get injured every year. With how good he is and how good the team is, and being front and center in every site, article, headline, highlight, if he does great (which he is now) it will NOT go unnoticed.

Isn’t this a thread claiming how Matthews is in this so called big three anyway? What’s the problem?

Almost every team would love to have him he’s leading in scoring and your team is 6-2. But it’s two weeks into the season! No one is going to declare him the best player in hockey two weeks into the season even though there’s been plenty of talk on tv, radio and on here if he is....he gets more coverage then any player I’ve seen in twenty years on shows like hockey central. No idea what there is to be upset about.

You're take on scheifele is garbage

He's "maybe" a top 15 centre. No he's absolutely a top 10 centre

Scheifele has score more than Matthews in the last 2 seasons
And did waýyyyyyy better than matthews did in the playoffs who could score only 2 points
While scheifele lead his team to the western conference finals
14 goals in 17 games

20 points>>>>>2 points AINEC
If I would rather have had scheifele in the playoffs last year, that doesn't change a few games into this season

I agree.

I couldn’t believe I read someone say that about scheifele. Btw this is unrelated but I saw your not worth “early but not worth ten million, that’s for sure” in the other thread came after the worst game you could ever say that about, seeing as it was his best game of the season and had you seen it you wouldn’t of said it. Lol. All that matters though is production but yeah, he plays that way every game he will have 90 points with ease. It’s a 8 year deal and people forget that about this deal it just started, with the cap going up every year and thinking about how much better he will get over those years it’s a very fair contract. That’s just what I wanted to say but got distracted. It’s all good if you feel that way though, everyone’s entitled to their opinion.

As for scheifele, he’s the guy right there with Mackinnon barkov Matthews eichel they’re all in the same tier of center. Some may be ahead of others and Eichels probably last in that group for now despite all the effort because that’s how it goes but anyone calling scheifele not the same tier after a few games into the year is ridiculous. He’s arguably a top 5 center.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tmu84

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
The only year where that is true is in their rookie season, Matthews does not produce substantially more than Eichel.

Also, we both know which is the way worst supporting cast.
148 points in 154 games (0.96 PPG)
182 points in 216 games (0.84 PPG)

Which one do you think is the better scorer? Auston Matthews is also better defensively so you’re gonna have to do better job convincing me that Eichel and Matthews are in the same tier.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
That is the laziest argument going. He missed like 20 games last season, of course he would have blown past 70pts. Everybody knows it too. Same goes for Eichel. You can't apply the final point total to an argument and choose to ignore the games missed just to fit the narrative.

Cling to it while you can though I guess. It won't be for much longer.

I am not clinging to anything. It is fact. Hilarious that Leaf fans ignored the GP in the Laine rookie year.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Scheifele is 2 and a half years older than Mackinnon. He’s almost 4 years older than McDavid. Mackinnon is closer to Mcdavids age than Scheifele is to Mackinnon.

Also lol @ saying people are putting stock into a small sample to start the season and instead they should use the small sample at the end of last season

I can't help but agree, but that's not why I'm replying to this. I'm replying because, damnit Jebediah, your avatar is awesome!

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
148 points in 154 games (0.96 PPG)
182 points in 216 games (0.84 PPG)

Which one do you think is the better scorer? Auston Matthews is also better defensively so you’re gonna have to do better job convincing me that Eichel and Matthews are in the same tier.
Not sure why people think Matthews is great defensively when he has 11 ES points and is a +- 0

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Why is Eichel always put at the same level of Matthews? What has he done?

Anchoring an entire team?

You know what eichel has done (statistics are extremely close every season) and I don’t have to repeat it.

Try watching him, even when he gets no points he’s still arguably the best player on the ice like last game versus the sharks.

You really wouldn’t have to even ask this if you watched. The only other guy on the team with goals is Sheary, two of which were plays eichel created. It’s absolutely ridiculous how little talent there is on buffalo right now. Or they got it and it’s eiher too young and inexperienced. Guys have been snake bitten but this is ridiculous now.

Besides no one even says eichel is better then Matthews. If you’re insulted he’s compared to him, again you really pay no attention at all to the games he plays. Avs fans and sharks fans both said he was far and way the best sabres and in those games buffalo lost 6-1 and 5-1. 8 chances against the sharks of real quality and if I remember correctly besides having a highlight reel goal he created called off against the avs he had at least five quality chances then too. He’s top ten in shots and sooner or later there going to find their way in.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Yes I watch most Toronto games. I live in Toronto.
Ok, then you would know how good he is at stripping the puck, being in good position in his own zone and boxing out key players. He doesn’t play PK minutes but that doesn’t mean he isn’t good defensively. But, Eichel isn’t better which is why I said Matthews is better offensively and defensively.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Have you watched him play before?

This, Matthews is becoming great defensively I first noticed it last year and while the commentary can be contrived at times where they look for it a little much, whether it’s to marvel or just appease the fanbase I don’t know? (Because some of the replays are of the simplest variety) he is becoming a top ten center jn defense.

This year he’s even better that way.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1