Is McDavid as popular as Crosby was at the same age?

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
So you like everybody you've met in your life so far? Jesus Christ. I think I'm entitled to determine for myself, who I do like and don't like, based on their personalities, and their actions.

As for actual evidence to support my assertions... Here's my introduction to P.K. Subban, the man:

Count the number of times he talks about himself in an overtly flattering manner. Me! Me! Me! I don't think I've ever heard an athlete go on and on about himself as much as he did. And as much as I think it's wonderful that somebody would donate $10M to a hospital, this interview really went a long way in showing a large part of the motivation behind it. Legacy. It's about his "brand" and his "legacy". It's self-serving ****. Not "team first" type stuff.

I also felt like it put his franchise in a compromising position, quite frankly. It reeked of a power-move. And look at where everybody is today. The Habs are in the cellar, and I look at this moment as a keystone in their descent.

You aren't Canadian, are you?

In the end, you're supposed to be in business for yourself. "Team first" in a multi million dollar business? Lol yeah, right.

Only a fool wouldn't try to maximize his earnings. You think the owners truly care about the players, in general? They sure are quick to kick playere to the curb when they don't need them anymore.

I agree with Eichel when he was mad at his teammates for sucking and making him miss out on a big bonus. There is no charity in this business.

What Subban is doing might even help the sport? Despite being selfish and egotistical.

Hank Plank

Jun 5, 2012
Alberta
Also, News Flash!! This will come as a surprise to you, but I'm not the first person to conclude P.K. Subban is selfish and egocentric.
Subban has a gargantuan ego no question about it. Crosby, not really sure if he does have a huge ego he never comes across that way the opposite in fact. McDavid, I have no idea what kind of personality he has that's a big part of the problem the guy is hard to market. Turnip level charisma.

Reactions: Tweed

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
I mean you’re totally wrong and Crosby first two seasons were much better than McDavid by his third he led his team to the Stanley Cup finals. Crosby had a much more competitive league to go against as well.
You could go with that, if you just glance at their numbers without giving the details behind them any intelligent thought.

Last edited:

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
I watched the video when it came out...That video didn't come out today.

Nothing in the video suggest the guy puts himself over his team, I don't know how you get this idea. The guy is just having fun. Is that too much for you? My god you must be boring to deal with.

Everything about that video suggests P.K. Subban puts P.K. Subban first. You don't know how I (and tens of thousands of others) get that idea... because YOU ARE NOT CANADIAN. I can't explain that to you any better, or more clearly than I already have.

But thanks for rewatching it today (I call bs that you watched it back then) and trying to understand it through my lens... and re-evaluating your position, retracting your comment that bore a heavy resemblance to ignorant puke. And you wonder why you "can't comprehend". You didn't even try to comprehend, you just went straight to judging MY OPINION, derived from MY CULTURE... as wrong.

Reactions: Riptide

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Everything about that video suggests P.K. Subban puts P.K. Subban first. You don't know how I (and tens of thousands of others) get that idea... because YOU ARE NOT CANADIAN. I can't explain that to you any better, or more clearly than I already have.

But thanks for rewatching it today (I call bs that you watched it back then) and trying to understand it through my lens... and re-evaluating your position, retracting your comment that bore a heavy resemblance to ignorant puke. And you wonder why you "can't comprehend". You didn't even try to comprehend, you just went straight to judging MY OPINION, derived from MY CULTURE... as wrong.

Unless the Canada you are talking about is oppressive, totalitarian regime with no room for difference in cultural values, I don't know how you get this idea.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
I remember when I was in high school, a lot of girls who had no clue about hockey or watched it would talk about that “Crosby cutie”

Not sure if that’s the case for McDavid.

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
In the end, you're supposed to be in business for yourself. "Team first" in a multi million dollar business? Lol yeah, right.

Only a fool wouldn't try to maximize his earnings. You think the owners truly care about the players, in general? They sure are quick to kick playere to the curb when they don't need them anymore.

I agree with Eichel when he was mad at his teammates for sucking and making him miss out on a big bonus. There is no charity in this business.

What Subban is doing might even help the sport? Despite being selfish and egotistical.

In what rules-of-life book does it say that you're supposed to be in it for yourself? I know people that would give ANYTHING to have the same opportunity as Subban, a lack of financial success and absence of personal legacy being the EASIEST price to pay.

I agree with you in principle though, you need to maximize your earnings. I've never begrudged anyone that, including PK. But that's not what we're discussing. We're discussing HOW you maximize your profits (assuming being a me-first clown is PK's strategy to building what he is calling a "brand").

Players are employees, and assets. That needs to be understood. I'm not certain that what Subban does, hurts the sport in general. In the Straussian sense, the polarizing effect can yield some positive. In otherwords, it might not be a bad thing to have a PK Subban around to stir the pot from time to time. However, I will contest the notion that his polar opposite is "the problem" with the sport... which was the horribly unintelligent claim that I was originally addressing.

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
Unless the Canada you are talking about is oppressive, totalitarian regime with no room for difference in cultural values, I don't know how you get this idea.

You keep talking about PK like he's some foreigner or something. What the f*** is wrong with you? Talking about diversity and muticulturalism, as if that has anything to do with a hockey player coming up in hockey culture in the world's premiere hockey country where hockey is a religion, and not a f***ing pasttime.

Are you under the impression that PK isn't Canadian? Or that he didn't come up through the Canadian Hockey System, one that is brimming with Canadian Hockey Culture?

Do you even understand what any of that stuff is? Do you have any clue? At all? I guess not.

Have you ever even been to Canada?

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
You keep talking about PK like he's some foreigner or something. What the **** is wrong with you? Talking about diversity and muticulturalism, as if that has anything to do with a hockey player coming up in hockey culture in the world's premiere hockey country where hockey is a religion, and not a ****ing pasttime.

Are you under the impression that PK isn't Canadian? Or that he didn't come up through the Canadian Hockey System, one that is brimming with Canadian Hockey Culture?

Do you even understand what any of that stuff is? Do you have any clue? At all? I guess not.

Have you ever even been to Canada?
What is this hockey culture nonsense you are talking about and how has he violated it by having little bit of fun?

If that is hockey culture up there then its absolute toxic and should be gotten rid of ASAP.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Crosby was definitely more popular/talked about.

When he entered the league, every single thing he did was talked about and put under a microscope. His first game in Canada, every time he would dive, etc etc. It was huge and a reason a lot of people hated him.

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
I don't see why he wouldn't be. They both have a gaping hole where their personality should be.

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
What is this hockey culture nonsense you are talking about and how has he violated it by having little bit of fun?

If that is hockey culture up there then its absolute toxic and should be gotten rid of ASAP.

Since we're now both on the same page, in so much that we've arrived at the crux of the issue; your lack of comprehension of "hockey culture"... let's move forward. I'm not going to attempt to explain it to you any further than I already have... seeing as it's taken a better part of the night just to get you to realize and acknowledge that you're completely oblivious about it. Sorry champ, I just don't have time to take you school.

But to answer the latter half of your innocent question, which seems to be the part that's got you up in arms, as succinctly as possible for me:

There's a difference between being a fun person, having a fun moment, and doing a fun thing... and being a person whose sole drive is to appear to be a fun person having fun moments doing fun things, and continually grabbing the mic and seeking the spotlight, all for the sake of elevating one's self-image and personal financial gain, to the detriment of your colleagues, teammates, and your employer's paying customers.

It's a good goddamn thing for him that he's actually a nice person, otherwise he'd never made it outta junior on account of his teammates caving his head in every practice. His worst case scenario is he hops around the league, talking his way outta each town one way or another, until he realizes that a real brand is build with on-ice success and that it's accomplished as a team... and not with goofy outfits and headline-grabbing punchlines.

You see some funky hip edgy goofball that's fun to watch. I see an uncouth egocentric look-at-me clown that hurts his team.

Anyway, I think we're pretty much at risk of derailing the thread here.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Since we're now both on the same page, in so much that we've arrived at the crux of the issue; your lack of comprehension of "hockey culture"... let's move forward. I'm not going to attempt to explain it to you any further than I already have... seeing as it's taken a better part of the night just to get you to realize and acknowledge that you're completely oblivious about it. Sorry champ, I just don't have time to take you school.

But to answer the latter half of your innocent question, which seems to be the part that's got you up in arms, as succinctly as possible for me:

There's a difference between being a fun person, having a fun moment, and doing a fun thing... and being a person whose sole drive is to appear to be a fun person having fun moments doing fun things, and continually grabbing the mic and seeking the spotlight, all for the sake of elevating one's self-image and personal financial gain, to the detriment of your colleagues, teammates, and your employer's paying customers.

It's a good goddamn thing for him that he's actually a nice person, otherwise he'd never made it outta junior on account of his teammates caving his head in every practice. His worst case scenario is he hops around the league, talking his way outta each town one way or another, until he realizes that a real brand is build with on-ice success and that it's accomplished as a team... and not with goofy outfits and headline-grabbing punchlines.

You see some funky hip edgy goofball that's fun to watch. I see an uncouth egocentric look-at-me clown that hurts his team.

Not to derail the thread but how did Subban hurt his team?
He was the best player on the Habs for half a decade along with Price.
A team with minimal forward talent was consistent playoff contenders.
Then he was traded and they went to ****

Goes to NSH and helps them make their first Cup Final. How does he hurt his team exactly?

Reactions: holy

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017

Goes to NSH and helps them make their first Cup Final. How does he hurt his team exactly?
Cause he has a brand, man. No one with a brand has ever done well in sports. Me me me me me. Dancing before the game, who does he think he is?

This Tweed guy sounds like he's 100 years old.

Reactions: A91

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn

But somehow Ovechkin is not doing that but Subban is?

I see.

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006

For starters, he put the Habs organization in an extremely uncomfortable position. They responded by moving him. They went to shit, after that trade.

Obviously, it's not ALL on him. It takes two to tango, but there's no way ownership was gonna let him put them over a barrel like that. Bergevin's also done a pretty good job himself, I will add.

PK's antics in the SCF played a pretty big role in them not winning the cup, in my opinion. That Listerine idiocy had the opposite effect of what that team needed, at that time. As a Pens fan, I can tell you I absolutely did not think we could beat the Preds, after witnessing what they were truly capable of... and the gum flapping he did, gave Sid and the Pens just enough gas to hold on and weather the storm long enough to win on lucky breaks.

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
But somehow Ovechkin is not doing that but Subban is?

I see.

There's a difference between what Ovechkin says and does. He doesn't spend his whole air-time self aggrandizing. He spends it being a care-free goofball big-kid.

Like, I'm sorry I can't explain it to you any better than that, and that you're just not equipped to grasp what a lot of us are seeing and saying.

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
Cause he has a brand, man. No one with a brand has ever done well in sports. Me me me me me. Dancing before the game, who does he think he is?

This Tweed guy sounds like he's 100 years old.

Try and keep this all straight in your head, if you can. We're not talking about "doing well in sports"... we're talking about how towing the company line is not the problem with the NHL or its marketability, and how Canadian players coming up through the system standout in an adverse way, when they don't exemplify the culture.

I'm going to say this again, with the continued hopes that it'll sink in for some of you folks.... it's not because he has "a brand", man. It's because his brand is all about reminding you that he has a brand. His whole schtick is counterculture. You're honestly surprised there's backlash? You don't have to be an actual Brand Engineer (like me), to understand the simple parts of it.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
McDavid isn't as polarizing as Crosby and the Oilers aren't as infamous as the Penguins.

Also McDavid hasn't shown up in the post season when everyone is watching.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
@Tweed Alright, but the real question is are you 100 years old?

Sounds like you want to live in a bubble where all that exists is the good old Canadian way of living, when folks had humility and the only pride they knew was the pride of having their galoshes stick to the floor after a long day of rolling around in maple syrup.

Also do you think there is more of what you seemingly don't like in PK Subban in the league today than there was in the past? To me, it seems like the problem you have with him stems from his need to express his individuality in such a homogenous atmosphere, which only really expresses itself as a brand culture because that's how it would be expressed in this day and age. But from what I've seen there's been a decline in these type of players as the years go by, which is why it gets brought up so often that players have no personality anymore.

PK becomes an easy target because he's really one of the only guys left in the league who can embrace being a villain in any way. For him all he has to do is stand out a little bit for people to lose their minds. He dances during warm up? Clown. He says me instead of we? In a vice sports interview that's about himself? Clown.

The whole it's all about reminding you he has a brand is overblown though. You're acting like he has his name on the front of the jersey and talks about being on The Money Team all day.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Not even close in the States. Crosby by a bazillion. Half of the average hockey fans down here still barely know who McDavid is or pay to see the Oilers. Crosby was an instant hot ticket and still is in every city.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Funny how it works, as the general consensus here would probably be, that McDavid is the more entertaining/flashy player between the two.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
I think McDavid had more hype going into the league, but since he's been in the NHL he's not close to Crosby. Playing for the Pens was huge as not only were they stateside, but they had a lot of recent history with Lemieux, Jagr, etc. Lemieux also coming out of retirement definitely helped create more interest. I went to a lot of Devils games as a kid, but that season Lemieux was back all of my friends (who never watched hockey) were getting tickets to see the Pens when they were in town playing the Devils or Rangers. Then you had the great Ovi v Crosby rivalry. McDavid, while being just as impressive as Crosby, just doesn't have that hype and backstory stateside.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I don't think so. I also don't think McDavid's accomplishments to date have much relevance to the question.

Reasons why I don't think McDavid is as popular as Crosby was:

1. McDavid entered the league with Crosby in his prime and as the best player in the world and of his generation. While I think McDavid is better at this point, I'd say Crosby is still the face of the NHL.

2. Crosby came into the league at the perfect time for the NHL. Just coming out of a lockout that wiped a whole season, here was this superstar that the league could market the heck out of. And he lived up to the hype.

3. While I've never generally agreed with the sentiment, I think the exposure of McDavid is lessened playing in Edmonton. For me, it reminds me of Mike Trout and the Angels. Best player in MLB, will go down as one of the league's greats, but I don't think he gets as much recognition as he warrants.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad