Is McDavid as popular as Crosby was at the same age?

TheSenator

The other guys
Apr 4, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Crosby's popularity was the result of a perfect storm.

The league was hungry for a "next one" and Crosby'd been billed as the heir-apparent for half a decade. Getting drafted to the Pens and being Mario's literal heir-apparent was the first plot-development. The fact that he was playing for an American team drew even more eyes of curious spectators south of the border looking to see what all the hype was about.

The lockout added fuel to the fire with the lack of supply creating a massive demand for NHL hockey. Articles were being pumped out non-stop hyping up his eventual debut and fans were chomping at the bit to see it.

Ovechkin provided the perfect rival by also being an uber-hyped, once-in-a-generation player just a hair behind Crosby in pedigree. The first half-decade of their careers the media was comparing everything they did under a microscope until Crosby eventually proved himself to be the more consistent player.

The Olympics provided the perfect setting and of course, true to nature, Crosby scored the golden goal. It made for a Hollywood-esque storyline that captured the heart of Canada and made Crosby a national hero. Additionally the Olympic games were a unique opportunity to showcase the game to people who otherwise wouldn't pay attention across the globe. They have the potential to create household names overnight and Crosby absolutely rose to the occasion.

McDavid, as great as he is, will never be on the same kind of stage that Crosby was. Crosby's popularity is an example of what can happen with the perfect setting, stage and cast paired up with a near-flawless performance.

His career to-date has been a perfect show.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Crosby always had team success. If McDavid played for Calgary for example, he would be alot more popular.

lol the Flames have had very little team success, the Oilers have more playoff round wins than the Flames since getting McDavid.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
I don't know about the general sentiment but I like McD a lot more than Crosby. Crosby's whiny crybaby antics really annoyed me.

hockeeyyy

Sep 29, 2017
I think people are conflating popularity with respect.

Crosby was a very popular player who became the face of the game after the lockout. It was the perfect opportunity for the league to market the youngest player in the league.

But on the other hand, his popularity was juxtaposed by the absence of respect for his game as well. He complained (a lot), and rarely took accountability for his own actions on the ice.

Then Crosby grew up.

Crosby is no longer the face of the game, that probably goes to two or three different players now, but he's widely respected for his leadership and career highlights now.

McDavid is very popular, not to Crosby's degree, but the difference is that the league and fans immensely respect his skill on the ice. He doesn't complain, and just keeps on skating.

Reactions: Future GOAT

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
No, unfortunately I don't believe he is.

The reasoning behind it comes down to two things:

1. McDavid plays in a small Canadian market, while Crosby played in the USA.

2. Success. Crosby made the playoffs four of his first five seasons in the NHL and captained his team to a Cup in his fourth. McDavid has made the playoffs once and Edmonton looks as though they'll miss again this year.

McDavid is one of the most exciting players I've ever seen. His speed and skill combination is unlike anyone else. Unfortunately, Edmonton has been completely mismanaged. They haven't surrounded him with talent and because of the way hockey is, he can't carry the team by himself. Take a look at the talent drop off after McDavid, Draisaitl and RNH. Very scary.

Until Edmonton rebuilds or he demands a trade we won't see him carry as much popularity as other stars. Especially in the USA.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
McDavid was not (unbelievably) anointed as the bullet-proof first overall pick early in his draft year according to some. Eichel was stealing a bit of the hype and looking back, it was crazy even then. Thankfully, cooler heads prevailed and McDavid became the consensus "next one" as it was obvious he was truly generational. And even then I think he was undersold a bit.

Reactions: Future GOAT

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
lol the Flames have had very little team success, the Oilers have more playoff round wins than the Flames since getting McDavid.

Sure, if we also ignore each teams respective failures, 1 playoff round win is better than 0 playoff round wins. You can make any arguement if you limit the scope, but bending the scope doesn't alter reality.

Simply put, since McDavid has been drafted, Calgary has had more points. The further you go back, the more pronounced the difference.

My point was, if McDavid was on a better team, he would be more popular. Obviously there have been better teams than Calgary, I chose Calgary because they are also an Alberta team with a similar market.

hockeeyyy

Sep 29, 2017
McDavid was not (unbelievably) anointed as the bullet-proof first overall pick early in his draft year according to some. Eichel was stealing a bit of the hype and looking back, it was crazy even then. Thankfully, cooler heads prevailed and McDavid became the consensus "next one" as it was obvious he was truly generational. And even then I think he was undersold a bit.
I think that was a function of the American media trying to hype one of their own. Among the sheer majority of hockey fans, McDavid was the undisputed top-pick.

Even Buffalo was disappointed they lost the lottery.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Technically by the same age, Crosby had been to two SCFs, winning one of them, with two performances that were among the best of his era.

That alone would raise his stature regardless of market and timing.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Sidney is one of the faces of Canada. Everyone in Canada can point to you and tell you who Sidney Crosby is.

McDavid isn't close. Once he wins a Gold Medal at the Olympics then a conversation can be had but he'll never reach 87 levels The nhl is too small in importance to talk about popularity without International play.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Sure, if we also ignore each teams respective failures, 1 playoff round win is better than 0 playoff round wins. You can make any arguement if you limit the scope, but bending the scope doesn't alter reality.

Simply put, since McDavid has been drafted, Calgary has had more points. The further you go back, the more pronounced the difference.

My point was, if McDavid was on a better team, he would be more popular. Obviously there have been better teams than Calgary, I chose Calgary because they are also an Alberta team with a similar market.

Reality is McDavid is already more popular already than any player in the history of the Flames franchise.

The Forbes article shows he makes somewhere in the range of $4 million a year in endorsement deals, no Flames player in the history of their franchise would get even half that.

Edmonton is actually probably a better hockey market overall, Calgary is more wishy washy in their fan support.

Even this year despite all the bruhaha, the Flames are only a whopping 6 points ahead of the Oilers despite their troubles, so kudos to them for that but that's hardly some kind of massive chasm. If McDavid was on a team 6 points higher, it's not like his popularity would double.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I don't think so. Mostly because the Crosby hype and following can only be matched by Lindros and Gretzky.

McDavid was hyped, but I think playing in Edmonton and not winning very much yet has made the hype around him a bit quieter.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The situation is similar to Mario Lemieux, Mario came into the league where Wayne Gretzky was already holding the mantle of the top star, and had to suffer through some bad Pittsburgh teams early in his career.

I think being in a Canadian market actually *helps* a player's popularity though. Edmonton is really not by hockey standards a small market any more, there are 1.5 million+ people now in Northern Alberta and almost 4 million total in Alberta.

In hockey terms, that's likely the largest hockey interested market area in the league after the GTA, Montreal area, and maybe Vancouver area. The population of Alberta has like doubled since the days of the Oilers being a small town market in the 90s.

Population of US metro centers is meaningless when 95% of the people don't give a crap about ice hockey.

The team success point is valid but plenty of players have started on poor teams and turned things around in the long run (Lemieux, Yzerman, Stamkos, etc.). When he has a better team to play with he will have more popularity and likely overtake Crosby for good in this category.

Hank Plank

Jun 5, 2012
Alberta
Reality is McDavid is already more popular already than any player in the history of the Flames franchise.

The Forbes article shows he makes somewhere in the range of $4 million a year in endorsement deals, no Flames player in the history of their franchise would get even half that.

Edmonton is actually probably a better hockey market overall, Calgary is more wishy washy in their fan support.

Even this year despite all the bruhaha, the Flames are only a whopping 6 points ahead of the Oilers despite their troubles, so kudos to them for that but that's hardly some kind of massive chasm. If McDavid was on a team 6 points higher, it's not like his popularity would double.
This gave me a good laugh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad