Is McDavid as popular as Crosby was at the same age?

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Can we really call someone who feels the need to be entertained beyond the actual product on the ice or the need to live vicariously through celebrities a fan?
I like hockey without the hoopla, but I do enjoy the hoopla.

And I recognize the reality that in order to get non hockey fans to get in to the sport, having little personality goes a long way.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I like hockey without the hoopla, but I do enjoy the hoopla.

And I recognize the reality that in order to get non hockey fans to get in to the sport, having little personality goes a long way.

If a sport needs "personalities" to grow the sport, then that is a problem. The exclusivity of hockey and a slow down in youth playing hockey is real problem, not that the next superstar doesn't catch the attention of the "Squirrel!!" crowd off-ice.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
No and it's because he plays in Edmonton. The problem with having a star player in a small market is that his exposure will be limited because few people outside of Edmonton care about the Oilers.

It would be best for McDavid and the NHL as a whole if he were to play in a larger market. Put him in New York, LA, Toronto, Montreal, Chicago, Boston or Philly and hockey would benefit extraordinarily. Unfortunately, he was drafted by Edmonton, so here we are. Good for the Oilers and their fans, bad for the NHL and hockey in general.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
If a sport needs "personalities" to grow the sport, then that is a problem. The exclusivity of hockey and a slow down in youth playing hockey is real problem, not that the next superstar doesn't catch the attention of the "Squirrel!!" crowd off-ice.
You need PR to market any product no matter how good it is.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Problem in what sense? You either like hockey or you don't. The highest quality league in the world doesn't need a bunch of idiots dancing around their sticks and over the top celebrations. I could care less whether the league grows in popularity or not if that is what it takes to grow the sport.
To be fair, I used to like guys riding their sticks after goals.

I also liked brawls. The odd spear here and there. Maybe a cheap shot or two.

Basically any Pitt/Philly, Bos/MTL game until about 5 years ago.

The league has clamped down on some things that made it entertaining. Teams have clamped down on players saying much of anything. It all leads to a less marketable product.

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
I think Crosby was more popular at that young age because there wasn't another "Crosby" in the league to compare him to. I remember when Crosby came in it was strictly "Crosby vs Ovechkin" hype.

McDavid entered the league with another "Crosby" in it.

Plying in the US on the east coast likely also plays a factor.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Popular = how much somebody is liked, not how much somebody is known. I think many either forget or are too young to remember that Crosby was very disliked his first few seasons in the league as he had this reputation of being a whiner, not to mention that many preferred Ovechkin over him.

OP specifically stated when Crosby was the same age as McDavid, therefore anything after his 3rd NHL season (all of his cups and gold medals) are irrelevant.
Crosby had a cup at age 21. McDavid entered the NHL 7 months older than Crosby.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I don't think Mcdavid playing in Edmonton prevents him from being popular in the US. Gretzky is the most popular player of all time and played in Edmonton. LeBron James played in Cleveland. He just needs to be marketed properly.

Reactions: A91

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
SID gave Canada it's greatest sporting moment in history. Of course he's going to be known, 27 million Canadians lost their marbles that day.

McDavid will only reach such popularity if he does something for Canada at the Olympics when everyone is watching.

What does it matter if he's popular in the country south of us, it's not a Hockey country.

Our greatest moment in sports history? I'm a fan of the golden goal, but that's a but much.

Reactions: A91 and Future GOAT

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
It's funny.

I remember Crosby going on Jay Leno in August 05, and he was so hyped not just because Gretzky said this kid could beat my records, and of course everything he did at the junior level, but because without hockey for a year (LOCKOUT) there was the two years of hype with the Sidney Crosby sweepstakes, Of course Ovechkin and even Malkin was getting a lot of talk during this time but nothing like Crosby in Canada anyway. I still remember the four teams that had the best chance to get him. Well, 3 of the 4. I am guessing either the Oilers or Isanders were the 4th team I just can't remember. The DUcks, Buffalo and the Pens. The Pens won obviously.

Crosby was born just 10 days after me, and was drafted to the Penguins on July 30th, 2005 which was my 18th birthday. (The draft happened way later this year) and was held in some room you'd have a fancy dinner or press conference in to those who didn't see it)

ALl this being said, the hype for McDavid was so big too, but I just feel more on a Canada-scale, TSN, Since Hockey left ESPN, I don't know how many Americans heard about McDavid unless they were die-hard hockey fans, or just big hockey fans, of one of the 24 American Teams. (There are many) I understand the game is bigger in the States now then ever it just seems like it wasn't a big of an international deal if that makes sense.

This is largely because Pittsburgh drafted Crosby and Edmonton drafted McDavid of course.

I think the comparisons will never end until the day they retire because the hype was so close, as is the skill, as is the production.

I don't think there's a definitive answer either way.

If I had a gun to my head I'd say Crosby had more hype.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
The NHL hit the jackpot having Sid and Ovie in the same conference and later, division. They've both grown the game so much in their respective cities.

The league struck out with 97 and 34 going to different conferences and McDavid going to the Pacific timezone. Not to mention they are on two regions that don't have a massive potential for growth

Reactions: Sam Spade

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
This is completely untrue, Crosby has a much bigger following among hockey fans, hell I think it's grown now that McDavid is here.

Crosby is far more polarizing, though. For every Sid "fan"... there's 10 people who HATE his f***ing guts. McD has fans, but I don't think anybody actually dislikes the guy. So in that context, who is more liked?

Edit: Oh nevermind... it looks like people have made the same point, since your comment. Carry on.

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
So does Crosby. No one in the league has any sort of personality, except maybe Subban and Ovy.

They are all bunch of robots and thats a problem.

That's not "a problem". If I wanted to watch clowns, I'd go to the circus. There's a fine line between being a "personality" and portraying yourself as someone who puts yourself before the team. I like Ovechkin's personality, it's genuine. I dislike Subban's schtick, it's try-hard.

(The only thing Ovi's ever done that I didn't "like", personality-wise, was the "warming my hands over my stick it's so hot right now" celebration. I thought that was a bit egotistical.)

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
That's not "a problem". If I wanted to watch clowns, I'd go to the circus. There's a fine line between being a "personality" and portraying yourself as someone who puts yourself before the team. I like Ovechkin's personality, it's genuine. I dislike Subban's schtick, it's try-hard.
I wonder what is the difference between Ovechkin and Subban?

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
Disagree with the first two points. McDavid had coverage from TSN as early as 2012. When he was only 13.

McDavid had considerable hype and it’s really hard to say who was the clear cut better prospect.

Crosby has a bigger appeal playing in the United States but early on he had a bad reputation of being a cry baby. I think Crosby is more recognizable, but popular or as liked it’s a toss up.
Hard to like someone you've never heard of. In answer to the question, no.

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
McDavid is more liked among hockey fans.

Crosby was more well known among non-hockey fans/sports fans in general and still is.

Based on what? Crosby sells more jerseys. Don't think non-hockey fans are the market for those.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I don't think Mcdavid playing in Edmonton prevents him from being popular in the US. Gretzky is the most popular player of all time and played in Edmonton. LeBron James played in Cleveland. He just needs to be marketed properly.

I would say more that smaller markets make it more difficult but not impossible. Gretzky and LeBron are in discussions for the best in their sports all time, so they're going to get recognition regardless of where they play. LeBron also played in a bigger market in Miami and Gretzky in LA. With McDavid, it's likely he's less well-known than he would be if he were in NY or LA, but I think most casual sports fans have likely heard of him, and no doubt as he gets more and more success, particularly playoff success, he'll get more recognition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->