Is McDavid as popular as Crosby was at the same age?

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Even though hockey isn't a big sport at all, it seems like Crosby (even early in his career) was known by most people, even among non hockey fans. If you asked a non-hockey fan to name two hockey players, they'd probably say Gretzky and Crosby.

Only asking this because I was with a few friends the other day (non-hockey fans) and I was a little surprised to learn that none of them knew who McDavid was. But all of them knew Crosby/Ovechkin/Gretzky. This is in Canada btw.

Based on my few personal experiences, it really seems like Crosby was much more well known among non-hockey fans and in general than McDavid, even at the same age.

Is this actually the case? If so, why do you think it is?

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Crosby was more of a household name because he was a better and more hyped prospect. He was also a Stanley cup Champion at basically the same age Connor is now.

Disagree with the first two points. McDavid had coverage from TSN as early as 2012. When he was only 13.

McDavid had considerable hype and it’s really hard to say who was the clear cut better prospect.

Crosby has a bigger appeal playing in the United States but early on he had a bad reputation of being a cry baby. I think Crosby is more recognizable, but popular or as liked it’s a toss up.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Oilers fans will of course disagree but outside of a few teams McDavid could not have gotten drafted to a worse place for the NHL than Edmonton.

Gretzky was doing things that were unthinkable so getting SI and Time magazine covers and massive mainstream coverage was going to happen despite playing in Edmonton.

McDavid will do great things but he won’t break any records or anything that pushes him beyond Canada and hockey fans in the States and into mainstream culture.

Last edited:

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
No because he doesn't play in the US. The NHL is terrible at marketing their product but when they do, it was always Crosby. I mean in McDavid's rookie year, there were no games on NBC and only one I believe last season. lol

Dec 3, 2005
Vancouver BC
McDavid.jpeg

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Playing for Edmonton definitely makes him less known to the casual sports fan in America. You ask the average person to name an NHL player, it will be Crosby and Ovechkin all-day.

It’s not a knock on McDavid. He’d be more well known if he played for Toronto or Montreal, or almost any USA team besides Carolina, Florida and Arizona.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Crosby and Ovechkin got non stop coverage, they were all the NHL and media marketed to the point of greatly overrating them. It made a big impact on the league considering the lockout, everyone including the players recognized the importance of the Capitals and Penguins. The 2009 Caps/Pens series was the peak, easily the most hyped series in a long time.

Compared to now, hockey is much more diversified in its marketing of various players and rivalries. You don't see McDavid point tracking stats appearing on screen during an Ottawa vs Sharks game for example.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Putting aside ability level, you have to remember the context of Crosby and AO back in 2005. The league had just had a lockout, and lockouts had done serious damage to other leagues (baseball, most notably--they looked the other way on the McGuire/Sosa doping because they knew damned well that those two and that story were saving the league). Crosby already had a lot of hype as the top young player in a long time, and the league latched their promotional wagon to that. It started with the draft and just kept rolling from there. In a way, it was a pretty big gamble. If Crosby had gone the way of Stefan, Berard, or Daigle, the league may well have taken a huge hit in terms of the (particularly American) fan base.

McDavid would have had to be insanely good (like 200 point season good) to get the same kind of promotional machine behind him.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
In the states I feel like Crosby was really well marketed whereas McDavid was marketed the same as Crosby on TSN but not on EPSN. Although I used to watch ESPN much more.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
Mcdavid playing in Canada (and in the west) sure doesn't help his case but Im pretty sure there was a lot more coverage/media hype for crosby (and ovechkin for that matter) the lockout sucked but these two guys coming into the league at the same time really sparked the NHL. It was actually crazy how every kid it seems like either wore 87 or put his equipments on like ovechkin

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Crosby was definitely more hyped up. It's just tougher to get the American media excited for a player playing in Canada. In my lifetime I'd say that the most hyped up players were Dangle, Crosby, Lindros and Mcdavid. Lindros and Crosby being #1 and 2. Skill aside, that's just the way it is with marketing. You don't need to sell a player to a Canadian audience when it comes to hockey.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
SID gave Canada it's greatest sporting moment in history. Of course he's going to be known, 27 million Canadians lost their marbles that day.

McDavid will only reach such popularity if he does something for Canada at the Olympics when everyone is watching.

What does it matter if he's popular in the country south of us, it's not a Hockey country.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
McDavid is more liked among hockey fans.

Crosby was more well known among non-hockey fans/sports fans in general and still is.

Early in his career, Crosby was definitely more of a polarising figure among hockey fans (many disliked his whiny attitude, others bough a little too much into the Crosby vs. Ovechkin rivalry), so maybe that's what you're getting at. Otherwise, I can't at all agree with the statement.

McDavid, for as phenomenal as he is, is nowhere near as popular as Crosby is/was.
Maybe some day McDavid will captain the oilers to 3 stanley cups, or score a gold-medal clinching over-time winner on home ice. Until then, Crosby is firmly in the lead in terms of popularity - And deservedly so.

Reactions: Dash86

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
The answer is who really cares about what random non fans of the NHL in the states think?

In Canada I am sure everyone knows who he is but I am sure the same could be said for Crosby.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Disagree with the first two points. McDavid had coverage from TSN as early as 2012. When he was only 13.

McDavid had considerable hype and it’s really hard to say who was the clear cut better prospect.
Yeah no, Crosby was the most hyped kid since Gretzky and Lemieux, Crosby gave his first interview at age 7, at 12 he played AAA Peewee in the Dartmouth area and they couldn't keep track of his point totals only to say "well" over 200 points. he was so good the next year in AAA Bantam he had target on his back and routinely was pulled from games by the coach after getting a big lead, his folks even tried to sue nova scotia's minor hockey council to put him in midget 2 years early, they lost but the next 2 years in AAA Midget are legionary, leading scorer by 80+ points, MVP's and playoff MVP, then of course his ridiculous stats in junior with 350 points in 142 games.

Crosby will go down in history no only as a top hyped prospect but one that backed it up with being a winner at just about every level. McDavid needs to do more than skate fast and put up meaningless point totals to be even in the conversation. So far a McDavid lead team at any level has yet to win anything.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Crosby broke in following the no4/no5 season and everyone was extra excited about the return of the NHL and he knocked it out of the park. Hard to top that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad