Is McDavid as popular as Crosby was at the same age?

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
Weezy when he was the best rapper alive shouted out Crosby. Never would happen with McDavid, his name is a little too white.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I wonder what is the difference between Ovechkin and Subban?

While we should always try to examine potential biases, simply expressing their personalities is a small commonality and their actual personalities are distinct enough that liking one and not the other doesn't really point it toward race.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
McDavid doesn't have DA LOOK like Crosby had so it hinders McJesus' popularity among teen girls

In a weird way this is what I came here to say. I remember when Crosby came around all the girls who didn’t even watch hockey were Crosby fans because of his looks

Reactions: ThewThew

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
While we should always try to examine potential biases, simply expressing their personalities is a small commonality and their actual personalities are distinct enough that liking one and not the other doesn't really point it toward race.

Whoa. Was he suggesting that I preferred one over the other, based on race?

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
And its bollocks. What has Subban does that is so classless? Donating to children's hospitals?

Did I say Subban was "classless"?

You don't need to read anything into what I said, or look for anything between the lines... I used plain english. Read it for what it says. It's not bullocks, it's my opinion, and my preference... one guy is overtly preoccupied with his self-image, the other is not to that extreme extent.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Did I say Subban was "classless"?

You don't need to read anything into what I said, or look for anything between the lines... I used plain english. Read it for what it says. It's not bullocks, it's my opinion, and my preference... one guy is overtly preoccupied with his self-image, the other is not to that extreme extent.
Your opinion is baseless and therefore wrong.

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
Your opinion is baseless and therefore wrong.

So you like everybody you've met in your life so far? Jesus Christ. I think I'm entitled to determine for myself, who I do like and don't like, based on their personalities, and their actions.

As for actual evidence to support my assertions... Here's my introduction to P.K. Subban, the man:

Count the number of times he talks about himself in an overtly flattering manner. Me! Me! Me! I don't think I've ever heard an athlete go on and on about himself as much as he did. And as much as I think it's wonderful that somebody would donate $10M to a hospital, this interview really went a long way in showing a large part of the motivation behind it. Legacy. It's about his "brand" and his "legacy". It's self-serving shit. Not "team first" type stuff.

I also felt like it put his franchise in a compromising position, quite frankly. It reeked of a power-move. And look at where everybody is today. The Habs are in the cellar, and I look at this moment as a keystone in their descent.

You aren't Canadian, are you?

Reactions: Riptide

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
So you like everybody you've met in your life so far? Jesus Christ. I think I'm entitled to determine for myself, who I do like and don't like, based on their personalities, and their actions.

As for actual evidence to support my assertions... Here's my introduction to P.K. Subban, the man:

Count the number of times he talks about himself in an overtly flattering manner. Me! Me! Me! I don't think I've ever heard an athlete go on and on about himself as much as he did. And as much as I think it's wonderful that somebody would donate $10M to a hospital, this interview really went a long way in showing a large part of the motivation behind it. Legacy. It's about his "brand" and his "legacy". It's self-serving ****. Not "team first" type stuff.

I also felt like it put his franchise in a compromising position, quite frankly. It reeked of a power-move. And look at where everybody is today. The Habs are in the cellar, and I look at this moment as a keystone in their descent.

You aren't Canadian, are you?

I mean I can’t comprehend how anyone thinks like this.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
well, it's hard to remember exactly what Crosby was back then since we're all biased by him becoming a still-active league legend in the years since.

I'd say that Crosby was a bit of a bigger deal, and that it was not only driven by Crosby himself but by that healthy rivalry between him and Ovechkin. That rivalry is referenced in modern day, but it's really not what it was like back then.

We even see the media and fans trying to find a rival for McDavid but there is just no young player who is close enough for there to be a real rivalry.

One other factor is that the league has grown quite a bit in popularity. I assume that the cap today being 70-80 million vs 50-60 million reflects a growth in league revenue. I'd assume that league revenue is proportional to the amount of paying fans and fans watching hockey programs, and so more people would be aware of McDavid now than Crosby then.

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
No it’s not a Canadian thing.

How would you know? Like, I'm sitting here telling you about our culture, and our mindset... and you're f***ing arguing with me, telling me I'm wrong. Unbelievable.

You're never gonna get it, man. And not because you can't be bothered to watch the evidence I provided you with, after you ignorantly accused me of forming baseless opinions (nothing says "I'm educated and informed" like a guy who can't sit still for a couple of minutes to review the material that explains to him what he doesn't understand).... but simply because you are not one of us.

Also, News Flash!! This will come as a surprise to you, but I'm not the first person to conclude P.K. Subban is selfish and egocentric.

Reactions: Riptide

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
How would you know? Like, I'm sitting here telling you about our culture, and our mindset... and you're ****ing arguing with me, telling me I'm wrong. Unbelievable.

You're never gonna get it, man. And not because you can't be bothered to watch the evidence I provided you with, after you ignorantly accused me of forming baseless opinions (nothing says "I'm educated and informed" like a guy who can't sit still for a couple of minutes to review the material that explains to him what he doesn't understand).... but simply because you are not one of us.

Also, News Flash!! This will come as a surprise to you, but I'm not the first person to conclude P.K. Subban is selfish and egocentric.
I saw the video. And you are completely wrong.

I thought Canadian culture was diverse and multicultural. Silly me though.

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
I saw the video. And you are completely wrong.

I thought Canadian culture was diverse and multicultural. Silly me though.

You're dead in the water, bro. You know how I know you're in way over your head with me? You've resorted to lying. You didn't watch the video. It's 9 minutes long, and you replied 7 minutes after I posted. That's not even accounting for time to receive notification, then read what I wrote (which wasn't short), and then write your own reply. You're embarrassing yourself. Tell me more about who I am, please... so we can all see what you're not.

What does diversity and multiculturalism have to do with mindset and mentality in hockey culture? I'm even gonna tip you off that I'm basically settin' you up here, because I have a funny feeling you're so uninformed that you wouldn't know when you're skating on thin ice.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
You're dead in the water, bro. You know how I know you're in way over your head with me? You've resorted to lying. You didn't watch the video. It's 9 minutes long, and you replied 7 minutes after I posted. That's not even accounting for time to receive notification, then read what I wrote (which wasn't short), and then write your own reply. You're embarrassing yourself. Tell me more about who I am, please... so we can all see what you're not.

What does diversity and multiculturalism have to do with mindset and mentality in hockey culture? I'm even gonna tip you off that I'm basically settin' you up here, because I have a funny feeling you're so uninformed that you wouldn't know when you're skating on thin ice.
I watched the video when it came out...That video didn't come out today.

Nothing in the video suggest the guy puts himself over his team, I don't know how you get this idea. The guy is just having fun. Is that too much for you? My god you must be boring to deal with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad