Speculation: Is MB interested in Yakupov?

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
We don't have room for another franchise forward if that is what he pans out to be. We have Galchenyuk as our franchise forward, we have Subban as our franchise dman and Price is making elite goalie money. We would give up a tonne of cap space depth in 3-4 years with him on our team.

It simply isn't feasible.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
We don't have room for another franchise forward if that is what he pans out to be. We have Galchenyuk as our franchise forward, we have Subban as our franchise dman and Price is making elite goalie money. We would give up a tonne of cap space depth in 3-4 years with him on our team.

The cap is going to be ridiculous until the next lockout. Money wont be an issue.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
I bet this kid doesn't make it past Bergevin's character detector on the front door of the Bell Centre, and personally... I'm glad. Do. Not. Want. At all. Would take half the player with double the dedication to hard work/play and getting better.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013

Seriously?

How does Chicago have 4 elite forwards, 2 elite defenceman, and an elite goalie?

Trust me, we can quite easily make room for a franchise forward and have good depth on the team, even if the cap doesn't go up.

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal

Wat :help: Why is it always a question of choosing between two players with habs fans ? Can't we have more than one good player at every position (except goalie maybe) ?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Yes, turn that personal Andy (as you usually do) instead of understanding the rational behind it. In your conspiracy world, I bet I'm the one convincing the NHL GM's to be reluctant in wasting draft picks on Russian players, right? :shakehead

The fact and the matter is that it's a huge gamble. The guy is as far as it gets from being a team player so far this season, unwilling to buy into a system which could make his team better. Backchecking and hitting is not his style, according to his own words. So let's get him and when he doesn't do it here either, watch him pull a Perezhoggin on us. That'd be so much fun!

Everybody that's been on this board for a few years is fully aware of your bias towards Russians or Europeans. So ya, your position isn't surprising.
It doesn't mean your opinion is actually wrong in this particular case, clearly there are issues involving the kid otherwise we're simply not talking about him being traded, but you can't possibly blame anyone for saying they're not surprised by your response.

I mean, you have such a bias that you actually laughed when I suggested that Jagr was a much better fit on every level than Briere last summer. How's that turning out?
I mean, it's not like you simply disagreed (even if that wouldn't make any sense), you flat out laughed. That pretty much says it all in terms of your idea of Europeans/Russians.

As for Yakupov, he's a 1st overall that had a pretty successful rookie season. He also has a history with your top pick when they formed a great duo in the OHL. His value is now at an absolute worst thus far in his career, so you should definitely be inquiring as to how much he'd cost. If he's too pricey, so be it. But if you're not even going to inquire, then you're not doing a good job.

Never

Can you hear me now?
Sep 16, 2009
Calgary
Seriously?

How does Chicago have 4 elite forwards, 2 elite defenceman, and an elite goalie?

Trust me, we can quite easily make room for a franchise forward and have good depth on the team, even if the cap doesn't go up.

Crawford isn't elite.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010

Look at Chicago they just keep their elite guys and tinker around them, that's what i'd do.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Seriously?

Uh, some teams can manage a cap, some can't. Chicago has their payroll tied up in franchise players, young ones. Montreal has their cap tied up in the likes of DD, Gionta, Bourque, Briere and Josh Mother****in Gorges.

Crawford isn't elite.

If he isn't what you call 'elite', what is Price?

PricePkPatch*

I am not at all sure I want YAK.
First he is NOT burning up the league right now.
He has proven he is top NHL forward.

and now after just a few games he is making waves about a trade?
He has NOT earned the right to ASK or to demand a trade.
By asking for a trade this early he is telling the NHL I don't care for who I play. OOOPS, not much loyalty there!!
ADD to this the wild overpayment demands from OIL fans, I think the best thing for the Habs to do is NOTHING, let Yak disturb the hell out of the OILERS. Habs just might be dodging a bullet with this guy.

That's kind of counter-circular logic. We would NOT be discussing a potential trade if Yakupov had proven himself yet.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke

I don't believe this to be true. Good teams will be able to fit more than three elite players into their lineup. If the Habs limit ourselves to three "franchise players," then by extension they limit their chances of winning the cup.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

lol the Habs can't even score goals outside of the young line yet you would not want to get more firepower?

Ice Poutine

LA POUTINE IS BACK!
Feb 18, 2006
ON MY CHAIR
DD for Yakupov who hopefully after that trade will bolt back home to Russia. We save his salary, DD's salary and everyone's happy as a clam. A hockey clam fer sure.

jlawrence

Jul 1, 2012
I would personally be very interested in Yakupov, I think he can be a 40 goal scorer. That being said, I dont think we can afford him in a trade. MB should at least kick tires on the kid, but if I was him, I would make a hard push.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

Chicago has Kane, Toews, Hossa, Keith, and Seabrook... that is five guys in the same league as Price, Galchenyuk, and Subban, assuming Galchenyuk ever reaches that level.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Nikita Filatov was once traded for a third rounder. When a Russian phenom has a major slump, and is said to lack characters, GMs everywhere in the league are fearful to make an offer.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Chicago has Kane, Toews, Hossa, Keith, and Seabrook... that is five guys in the same league as Price, Galchenyuk, and Subban, assuming Galchenyuk ever reaches that level.

That's right, but they were signed to longer cheaper deals earlier or got cap circumvented contracts.
So if Bergevin waits until players have seriously proven their worth, we won't be able to keep all of them for very long unless the cap increases big time, and of course, assuming Bergevin stops giving somewhat big deals to crappy players.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Nikita Filatov was once traded for a third rounder. When a Russian phenom has a major slump, and is said to lack characters, GMs everywhere in the league are fearful to make an offer.

Flight. Risk.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
That's right, but they were signed to longer cheaper deals earlier or got cap circumvented contracts.
So if Bergevin waits until players have seriously proven their worth, we won't be able to keep all of them for very long unless the cap increases big time, and of course, assuming Bergevin stops giving somewhat big deals to crappy players.

I think we can fit 4 good players.

If Yakupov is acquired, we hope for a 30 goal scorer. If he becomes a 50 goal scorer, he will get a raise, and we will figure out how to cope with the pain.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I think we can fit 4 good players.

If Yakupov is acquired, we hope for a 30 goal scorer. If he becomes a 50 goal scorer, he will get a raise, and we will figure out how to cope with the pain.

Gallagher-Galchenyuk-PK-Price.

Gallagher is on pace to become a 30-40 goal player. He'll probably end up more between 30-35, but he'll get his dough unless we extend him early like we did with MaxPac.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Gallagher-Galchenyuk-PK-Price.

Gallagher is on pace to become a 30-40 goal player. He'll probably end up more between 30-35, but he'll get his dough unless we extend him early like we did with MaxPac.

It's really hard to project Gallagher. He has so much tenacity, and he's only 5'9, I worry he will be crippled out before he hits UFA.

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
DD for Yakupov who hopefully after that trade will bolt back home to Russia. We save his salary, DD's salary and everyone's happy as a clam. A hockey clam fer sure.

Hum... :rolleyes:

Do we want Yakupov?

7YSzikn.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad