Speculation: Is MB interested in Yakupov?

brian70

Jul 8, 2012
A #1 pick overall at his lowest value, no doubt many GMs have inquired about the asking price. But if the Oilers were to trade him, I would assume they would add something in order to get a top 2 defenseman, something they badly need.

Habs can't afford to let go of Subban, the only D that would be worth it, so I don't see anything that would fill a need on Edmonton's roster. Defense prospects they don't need with Schultz, Klefbom, Marincin and Nurse.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Habs could make room for a franchise forward - thing is Yakupov isn't a franchise forward, and is a long, long way from that. A franchise forward competes hard and helps his team win many games, he's a team leader who makes teammates better. At this point Yakupov stands a better chance of being in the KHL in a couple of years than he does being a franchise player in the NHL any time soon.

For the price a team would have to pay for his "potential"...don't want him...at all. I don't think he'll ever "lead" an NHL team to anything substantial before he's a UFA. If he ends up having more successful playoff series than unsuccessful ones in his NHL career, I'll be awfully surprised. He's not showing up to compete in early season NHL games..imagine the playoffs? Sarnia found that out in the OHL..once the intensity picked up...Yakupov's intensity waned - he disappeared for the most part.

Why would anyone want to overpay for a one-way undersized winger who turns the puck over constantly because he thinks he can go end to end without passing?

Someone mentioned Filatov..well where's he? Imagine paying a king's ransom for Yakupov, he continues to struggle and then eventually not getting the ice time he thinks should be anointed to him, and like Filatov bolts back to Russia once his ELC is up? A move like that could set a franchise back another decade.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
:laugh:

That's some pretty weak *** argument.

We're not talking about Desharnais here, we are talking about a 1st overall with speed and talent. You just have an agenda against him and try to discredit. To say he's a bust after a good rookie season is just ridiculous.

Alexandre Daigle:sarcasm:
Trust me buddy, it's possible

Habsterix*

I was watching yet another Oilers' game last night and Yakupov is inexistant. The effort is inconsistent at best and I understand why he isn't getting played more.

There is one player on the Oilers (aside from Dubnyk) who stood out and that's Taylor Hall. I'd give a lot for him but I'm sure he's not available.

Yakupov? Not worth the asking price and/or the risk.

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
If the Oilers trade Yak, they better get a nice package.
The only down fall I see at this point is that Yak doesn't respect the defensive side of the game. But then again, no real vet to show him the way.
Has far as Montreal goes, I don't think Yak is a good fit. Where would he fit? Next to Galchenyuk? Offensively sure but not on a 200 foot suffice.I don't want to turn into the oilers with to much youth. Also, what would the Oilers want? A top 9+ or a few top prospect and picks?

PricePkPatch*

The only down fall I see at this point is that Yak doesn't respect the defensive side of the game. But then again, no real vet to show him the way.
Has far as Montreal goes, I don't think Yak is a good fit. Where would he fit? Next to Galchenyuk? Offensively sure but not on a 200 foot suffice.I don't want to turn into the oilers with to much youth. Also, what would the Oilers want? A top 9+ or a few top prospect and picks?

You do know there is a proper middle between the Oilers and... well, any other team in the NHL?

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Habs could make room for a franchise forward - thing is Yakupov isn't a franchise forward, and is a long, long way from that. A franchise forward competes hard and helps his team win many games, he's a team leader who makes teammates better. At this point Yakupov stands a better chance of being in the KHL in a couple of years than he does being a franchise player in the NHL any time soon.

For the price a team would have to pay for his "potential"...don't want him...at all. I don't think he'll ever "lead" an NHL team to anything substantial before he's a UFA. If he ends up having more successful playoff series than unsuccessful ones in his NHL career, I'll be awfully surprised. He's not showing up to compete in early season NHL games..imagine the playoffs? Sarnia found that out in the OHL..once the intensity picked up...Yakupov's intensity waned - he disappeared for the most part.

Why would anyone want to overpay for a one-way undersized winger who turns the puck over constantly because he thinks he can go end to end without passing?

Someone mentioned Filatov..well where's he? Imagine paying a king's ransom for Yakupov, he continues to struggle and then eventually not getting the ice time he thinks should be anointed to him, and like Filatov bolts back to Russia once his ELC is up? A move like that could set a franchise back another decade.

Yakupov is real though his rookie year was great, Filatov was a hack from the get go.

I like your description of Yak : " a one-way undersized winger who turns the puck over constantly because he thinks he can go end to end without passing?" That must be the most unfair descrption someone has made of a 19 years old player.

Yakupov is strugling but usually he plays with a lot of heart, he neefs to understand he's not the top gun anymore and pass the puck more. Sure he's a bit Pejorative Slured and thinks way too highly of himself, to a point where he's laughable, but he's really gifted. He needs to into the playoffs and ses how hard it is.

domdo345

Jun 4, 2008

Well you certainly know Yakupov much better than I do but I find this surprising as I always thought he was the kind of player that wanted to score the big goals. Kane is as much invisible in the playoffs but boy does he likes to score big goals. Last year we had all the occasions to nail the Sens, but other than Gallagher and Subban, who was here that you knew could score a big one?

He certainly holds on to the puck too long, but so it is for Eller and only at 23 yo he's coming through.

I agree that I would not pay the big price for him. This is a high maintnance player and he will clash with the management's philosophy (as he would with 90% of the teams). Do you hope that a trade will be a slap in the face or that our leaders are capable of changing his attitude? I, for sure, would be against giving up important roster players for incertitude. But we badly need someone that wants to score goals more than anything because ATM there's pretty much only Gallagher filling this role.

Anyway it's pretty much a no brainer as I'm pretty sure Bergy won't want to pay the price and others GMs like Sather and Nill seems to be agressive in these situations.

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
High maintenance players can be worth it. Just like, say, cars, sure that ferrari needs more maintenance than a corolla but it will win the race easily. Yakupov will thrive under the right system and coach. Note that im not saying this is Therrien!

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Well you certainly know Yakupov much better than I do but I find this surprising as I always thought he was the kind of player that wanted to score the big goals. Kane is as much invisible in the playoffs but boy does he likes to score big goals. Last year we had all the occasions to nail the Sens, but other than Gallagher and Subban, who was here that you knew could score a big one?

He certainly holds on to the puck too long, but so it is for Eller and only at 23 yo he's coming through.

His Conn Smythe begs to differ

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal

He would obviously not be avaible for trade if he WAS a franchise player right now. But he has the potential to become one and shrewd gms trade for what will be, not what is. There's obviously the risk that he goes to the KHL, but that's a moot point because if he gets to there, it will be because he's not able to develop as a franchise player. So the only variable here is, can Yakupov become a franchise/star player. IMO, he stands a better chance of that than any other prospect that could feasibly be traded for.

He was also coming back from a cerebral commotion which affected his play. Do you think he was 100% and should really be judged harshly for his team co-leading 5 points in 6 games ?

Filatov never had any semblance of success at the NHL level and like someone else said, that's a pretty unfair assessment of Yakupov.

Last edited:

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
High maintenance players can be worth it. Just like, say, cars, sure that ferrari needs more maintenance than a corolla but it will win the race easily. Yakupov will thrive under the right system and coach. Note that im not saying this is Therrien!

Useless shot at MT. He has been our best coach with young players in over a decade.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax

Are you kidding me? Boyd Gordon, Ryan Smyth, and Andrew Ference all have established track records as leaders, mentors, and examples for younger players who want to learn how to work hard on and off the ice. They don't need more leadership from veterans, they need more work and less sense of "entitlement" from younger players.

You also have to appreciate how difficult it is to be a focal point of leadership on a pro sports team these days, now that "bullying" is apparently at the forefront, and borderline criminal at this point. Ladies in men's leagues are starting to catch feelings.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Radulov=Yakupov

Interestingly enough, see if anyone can guess which of the two this scouting report is describing:

"A tremendously skilled winger, ________ is a treat to watch. He has excellent puck control and playmaking ability, and can rip hard wrist shots in full flight. A true game-breaking forward".

The answer, of course, is the one who took the path of least resistance to millions of dollars, and ended up back in Russia.

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
Useless shot at MT. He has been our best coach with young players in over a decade.

Perhaps I should have written ''not necessarily Therrien''. While I agree Therrien has had great success with our prospects so far I honestly don't know if it would work out with a pure offensive player like Yakupov (the prospects who progressed the most were two way players like Eller). Would Therrien trust Yakupov enough to use him on the first two lines? If the answer is ''no'' then we might as well not acquire him. If Therrien is willing to accept the risks of playing Yakupov 14-16mins a game because of the rewards it would bring, then yes we should inquire.

It wasn't meant as a shot on Therrien, whom I think gets far too much criticism here. He simply appears reluctant to use players he does not trust in his zone.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

If I was the Habs I'd be more likely to give the Islanders a 1st(2015?) for Vanek's rights if I could sign him long term. 6-8 years 7-7.5 mil cap hit, front loaded

Impact winger is the one spot where they could need a player outside the organisation. Only 30 with 5-6 good years left. With a top center he is a guy that should score 35-40 every year.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
If I was the Habs I'd be more likely to give the Islanders a 1st(2015?) for Vanek's rights if I could sign him long term. 6-8 years 7-7.5 mil cap hit, front loaded

Impact winger is the one spot where they could need a player outside the organisation. Only 30 with 5-6 good years left. With a top center he is a guy that should score 35-40 every year.

I'd be all over signing Vanek to a deal like that. I know he isn't Hossa, but it could be similar to the Hawks signing a 30 year old Hossa. Add a 30 year old impact winger to a young core and you make your team that much better.

I read somewhere that he's a good friend of Plekanec, so that might entice him to sign here. Although for now all signs are pointing to him signing with the Wild.

One problem: 2015 is McDavid, you never know what can happen.........

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
I'd be all over signing Vanek to a deal like that. I know he isn't Hossa, but it could be similar to the Hawks signing a 30 year old Hossa. Add a 30 year old impact winger to a young core and you make your team that much better.

I read somewhere that he's a good friend of Plekanec, so that might entice him to sign here. Although for now all signs are pointing to him signing with the Wild.

Yeah just like he is buds with Jagr............that helped out tremendously. :shakehead

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
I don't know if Yakupov is available but MB will call to see. He said he always looking to make the team better. If Edmonton gets another first overall pick. They will take Aaron Ekblad. Possibly trade Yakupov for a top 6 forward under 24, a top prospect and a 1st round pick.

I'm thinking Max Pacioretty, Nathan Beaulieu and a 1st round pick might get us Yakupov.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

With their current structure I don't see the Wild paying 7-7.5 mil for Vanek. They could squeeze him in but with the big deals already in place they'd be having to cut other guys loose. They already have about 20 mil tied up in their top 3 forwards.

Maybe the possibility of McDavid is what gets us Vanek and to the top 4-5 in the NHL in 14-15? I'm assuming he doesn't sign in NYI at this point, that could change of course.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I don't know if Yakupov is available but MB will call to see. He said he always looking to make the team better. If Edmonton gets another first overall pick. They will take Aaron Ekblad. Possibly trade Yakupov for a top 6 forward under 24, a top prospect and a 1st round pick.

I'm thinking Max Pacioretty, Nathan Beaulieu and a 1st round pick might get us Yakupov.

No way I do that deal right now.

Pac is an established 70 point calibre winger making peanuts, those guys usually make 5.5-6 mil/year.

Beaulieu has the upside of a #2-3 d-man.

Plus adding a 1st.

I could see Edmonton wanting a guy like Gorges, but they'd also want a top prospect like McCarron/Tinordi/Beaulieu plus 1st

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
It would have if the Habs wanted him.

Neither Gauthier or MB had any interest in Jagr or at least at what he was asking.

Briere money, but for only one year and only half guaranteed (2 million in bonuses)? A lot of us knew long ago who would look better at that price point, but what are ya gonna do.

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
I wouldn't be opposed to Vanek, but we do need a goalscorer. Against Ottawa in the series we couldn't buy a goal. Don't tell me Anderson is impenetrable. There aren't tons of those players available, the last one was Bobby Ryan. Yakupov is a great fit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad