Speculation: Is MB interested in Yakupov?

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Based on that interview....

-Issues with communicating (English being a second language might contribute)
-Does not have good relationship with coach
-Does not have support from fellow players (Regarding communication on how to deal w/the situation)
-Wants to help team
-Wants to win

He doesn't seem like a problem player to me. Seems like he has issues communicating with the team and with the players. I'd definitely side with Nail on any Nail vs. Oilers issues. Put him in a good environment and these "issues" dissolve into nothing. He'll be happy to win again and his skills will be utilized properly.

Bring him to MTL. We've got:

-Russian players
-A coach and GM who are good with players
-Players he is familiar with and a strong leadership group
-A need for goalscoring skill in our top-6
-A core set to take it to the next level

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yakupov is the scapegoat for the ****ing mess thats in Edmonton right now. Eakins even turned the locker room on him too, theres been speculation that Hall and Eberle don't even pass him the puck. He makes Hall/RNH/Eberle play against the ****** opposition while Yak is on the ice against Patrick Marleau's, Datsyuks, Sedins. Edmonton oilers are slowly becoming the black sheep of the NHL. There management does not know how to build a hockey team and has terrible player assessment and development. It's been clear since 2007.

To deny Yakupovs talent is to be naive. He's had the some of ********* players in the NHL to play with. He's at very least going to become a Phil Kessel but his ceiling is so much higher. Plus, playing with a his childhood teammate? Also, Montreal Canadiens are known to have a structured and disciplined regimen in the locker room. Galchenyuk+yakupov+PK+Price has kinda a stanley cup stink to it.

I'd make a gun for it.
?

The guy seems to be going out of his way to support him publicly.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Weren't they linemates together? I had read they were amazing together the season before Gally was hurt.

So that would be just one year. And even then, I don't think they were linemates the entire season. Some posters in this thread make it sound like they chiseled their intitials into trees together.

PunkinDrublic*

Did i read someone who said trade Eller for Yak ?

How the **** can the Habs trade their best center for a right winger ?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Based on that interview....

-Issues with communicating (English being a second language might contribute)
-Does not have good relationship with coach
-Does not have support from fellow players (Regarding communication on how to deal w/the situation)
-Wants to help team
-Wants to win

He doesn't seem like a problem player to me. Seems like he has issues communicating with the team and with the players. I'd definitely side with Nail on any Nail vs. Oilers issues. Put him in a good environment and these "issues" dissolve into nothing. He'll be happy to win again and his skills will be utilized properly.

Bring him to MTL. We've got:

-Russian players
-A coach and GM who are good with players
-Players he is familiar with and a strong leadership group
-A need for goalscoring skill in our top-6
-A core set to take it to the next level
Is it wrong to blame Larionov for part of this? Man... he's been around, he should know better than this.

Souffle

A soupçon of nutmeg
Aug 9, 2003
Le Creuset
Visit site
Take a look at Yak's shift in the 3rd vs Florida with a 1 goal lead. 3 mistakes on the shift got him stapled to the bench for the last 8 minutes of the game.

If he's already disgruntled with Eakins, imagine what'll happen when Therrien calls him out in public. Larionov is supposedly unhappy with his usage because he's playing on the 3rd and 4th lines. Where would he play if he were a Hab? We've already learned that breaking up the kid line at this point is not a good idea. He can't play on Pleks line because he's a black hole defensively. So he'd be playing on the 3rd / 4th line here also.

You can't deny his talent, and the Habs can use a pure sniper like him. But at this point he just isn't a fit. And who knows how much he'd cost.

I'm not sure that's necessarily true. The problem with Edmonton (one of them, at least) is that they have no solid veterans to surround the top end young players. I think their young core is much better than what they've shown so far -- but I also think they're carrying too much responsibility.

If Yakupov came to Montreal, he would probably play bottom 6 minutes. But that won't matter much if he's properly surrounded. I also think that coaching a young talented player is easier when you have veterans around. Telling the player that he can't mistakes, that he has to play a certain way, etc. puts a lot of responsibility on him to get better out of fear. When you have veterans, you can point to them as examples, and they'll even do some of the coaching for you on the bench after a shift. It's a different type of teaching and a different kind of accountability.

Anyway, I don't see the Habs giving up the assets it would take, but I wouldn't be too worried about his coachability.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
So that would be just one year. And even then, I don't think they were linemates the entire season. Some posters in this thread make it sound like they chiseled their intitials into trees together.
I don't know about those other posters but everything I read was they were fantastic together.

I couldn't tell you myself though as I never saw them together.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013

Didn't they live together as well? Didn't Galchenyuk's Dad play a huge part in Yakupov's development and bring him to Sarnia?

I thought I read that somewhere.... may have just imagined it though.

Is it wrong to blame Larionov for part of this? Man... he's been around, he should know better than this.

Yeah, I don't think that's very good guidance from your agent. He should be able to bring this right to Eakins/MacT and communicate it. There's absolutely no need for all this if all it is is ice time.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Ryan Murray would be of interest to all GM's, Yakupov is a great offensive player, he truly offends my sensibilities.:nod:

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com

The only way I see the Habs making a package is if they can cobble up something that does not include our core players going forward but still fill the Oilers need enough for them to bite. They need a Goalie and Budaj deserve a shot at being number 1 something he going to get via free agency soon next year. They need better defence and god only know how negotiation are going with Markov. They need leadership and I don't see the Habs going forward with Gionta. There the likely pieces in a package not all of them together add a first, a third and probably a juicy prospect in the AHL.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
It irks me to see Hab fans offering up Pacioretty + assets like Beaulieu and Fucale for Yakupov in the Yakupov thread on the main trade rumor board here. :shakehead

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada

Chucks family brought Yakupov into their home in Sarnia and they were best friends for the 2 years they were there. From all accounts they're still good freinds as well.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yeah, I don't think that's very good guidance from your agent. He should be able to bring this right to Eakins/MacT and communicate it. There's absolutely no need for all this if all it is is ice time.
Bob Mackenzie just gave his thoughts and it actually makes sense...

He says Larionov got "in front of things last night" to take the focus off his player and put it on him, essentially taking a bullet. But then Yak comes back AGAIN and speaks out publicly.

So from Bobby Mac's perspective this isn't Larionov's idea, he's basically at Yak's mercy. Still, even if this is true he'd better get better control of his client. 'Cause all this public grousing doesn't do anything but make Yak look bad.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Bob Mackenzie just gave his thoughts and it actually makes sense...

He says Larionov got "in front of things last night" to take the focus off his player and put it on him, essentially taking a bullet. But then Yak comes back AGAIN and speaks out publicly.

So from Bobby Mac's perspective this isn't Larionov's idea, he's basically at Yak's mercy. Still, even if this is true he'd better get better control of his client. 'Cause all this public grousing doesn't do anything but make Yak look bad.

I watched the same segment and I agree. It's kind of a shame, he looks like a decent kid, he just has no idea what he's saying. The maturity definitely isn't there yet.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I watched the same segment and I agree. It's kind of a shame, he looks like a decent kid, he just has no idea what he's saying. The maturity definitely isn't there yet.

Then its his agents job to look him in the eye and tell his to shut his freaking mouth.

A guy whose played a whole half a season and is struggling right now to tell a rookie coach that they want more ice time, and to say this publically is NOT going to go over well no matter how much potential they posess.

I hope the kid turns it around, I gave him a pass on the " i dont like to back check or skate hard or hit all the time" based on his new language issues. But he's burning through mulligans way to fast and there is no need for it. Saying he "wants to have fun" is just really really bad optics.

Marc-E-

Sep 19, 2004
Montréal, Québec
The price I've be willing to pay for Yakupov would be Beaulieu, Fucale and a roster player (Gorges/Bourque) Fucale can be replace by drafting others goalies (window of time) Beaulieu? We've guys like Nygren, Dietz, Thrower in our pipeline. Gorges can be replace (I know he's popular in the dressing room; but this is buisness) we're here to built a contender team or I give Bourque who's a decent wingers who could score 20+ goals.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal

First of all, Eller is not our best center ATM. Maybe in a few years, and even then, Chukie will surpass him quite soon.

Second, you gotta give to get. Trading Eller for Yakupov, assuming Yakupov works out in Montreal, could make sense. Just put Galchenyuk back at center with Yakupov and Gallagher and voila.

Basically, you're trading a 2nd-3rd line center for a guy with 1st line winger potential. If Eller wasn't so overrated, everybody would agree that the trade makes sense.

That being said, I wouldn't make the trade just on the basis of what we've heard so far from Yakupov. Maybe a lot is lost in translation, but he doesn't seem to be the sharpest tool in the toolbox.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
The price I've be willing to pay for Yakupov would be Beaulieu, Fucale and a roster player (Gorges/Bourque) Fucale can be replace by drafting others goalies (window of time) Beaulieu? We've guys like Nygren, Dietz, Thrower in our pipeline. Gorges can be replace (I know he's popular in the dressing room; but this is buisness) we're here to built a contender team or I give Bourque who's a decent wingers who could score 20+ goals.

what we are willing to give up is not the same as what the oilers want/need.

Beaulieu will eventually replace markov but I guess to an extent he is somewhat dispensable. but the oilers cant keep persistently stocking up on prospects, especially in net. You think they ride dubynuk and bryz until fucale is ready in two or three years ?

My guess is that in the unlikely event the oilers move Yak they do it for proven talent, likely on the back end. I dont think they move him at all but if they do it wont be for a guy whose played what 15 games in the nhl, a guys who's never played in the nhl and a dime a dozen player like georges/bourque.

penalty shot*

Take a look at Yak's shift in the 3rd vs Florida with a 1 goal lead. 3 mistakes on the shift got him stapled to the bench for the last 8 minutes of the game.

If he's already disgruntled with Eakins, imagine what'll happen when Therrien calls him out in public. Larionov is supposedly unhappy with his usage because he's playing on the 3rd and 4th lines. Where would he play if he were a Hab? We've already learned that breaking up the kid line at this point is not a good idea. He can't play on Pleks line because he's a black hole defensively. So he'd be playing on the 3rd / 4th line here also.

You can't deny his talent, and the Habs can use a pure sniper like him. But at this point he just isn't a fit. And who knows how much he'd cost.

good post

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad