Is Marner the best passer in the league

Prospero

Feb 23, 2013
Buffalo
If he wants the C so bad, and would take less, like 8m per for it, give it to him. He's de-facto leading the team already.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

If anybody thinks this negotiation will be any easier than Nylander’s, or that Marner’s father will be any less involved, well I’ve got a collection of magical beans I’d be willing to sell you...

For **** sakes, what is it with these father's?

Why in God's name was he was allowed to go on radio and talk about any of this stuff? If I was the agent or player I'd be seriously pissed this type of stuff is getting out

If I was Dubas I'd let it be known this is completely unacceptable and had better not happen again, I was willing to trade Nylander and I'm not wedded to Marner either if this **** continues

Reactions: blueberrie

Prospero

Feb 23, 2013
Buffalo
Itu8T2t.gif
Money dance.

Last edited:

TrueTT

Dec 12, 2018
Guelph, ON
Lmao only in Toronto do we give our superstars fathers a national platform to pitch for their sons

* plurals very much intended

It's problematic because, given how toxic the media in this city is, the last thing we need is for one of our best players and their families to receive detraction and negative attention from the likes of idiots such as Dave Feschuk, Steve Simmons and Damien Cox

"Local hometown boy desires to steal Leafs spotlight!"

"Have the Marners- Markham's proudest hockey family- secretly coveted the marvel that is the Leafs captaincy for three years?"

"Mitch Marner's childhood delusions of parading around as Mats Sundin in road hockey- an omen we should've seen"

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
I remember an interview with Marner before he was drafted, where he said nothing would be better than winning the cup in Toronto as the Captain of the Leafs.

I have no problem with that.

His dad talking to the media about how the family feels about this stuff is kind of dumb, but hey, Mitch is a great player, has his own ego, and the internal competition on the Leafs only makes them better. Nothing to worry about.

Reactions: AreBe

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
For **** sakes, what is it with these father's?

Why in God's name was he was allowed to go on radio and talk about any of this stuff? If I was the agent or player I'd be seriously pissed this type of stuff is getting out

If I was Dubas I'd let it be known this is completely unacceptable and had better not happen again, I was willing to trade Nylander and I'm not wedded to Marner either if this **** continues

Parents are not under the control of any NHL team.

NHL teams can't silence parents and I'd imagine since they have been so heavily involved since they were young.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Mitch is one of the very best players in the league. He still needs to balance his shooting to passing ratio so as to keep goalies on edge. Add a little more strength as he goes and just play.

Dads gonna say what dads gonna say. Not magics problem ha. He can tell dad to cool it over Christmas dinner :))

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
I remember an interview with Marner before he was drafted, where he said nothing would be better than winning the cup in Toronto as the Captain of the Leafs.

His dad talking to the media about how the family feels about this stuff is kind of dumb, but hey, Mitch is a great player, has his own ego, and the internal competition on the Leafs only makes them better. Nothing to worry about.
Mariner may very well be the best player. Or Nylander. Or Matthews
Fun to speculate about this downing beer being a lager lout
But three Leafs players could be in the conversation - we can have different views
Not odd that a father wants his son to make an extra million in endorsements, makes sense for a shout out.

AreBe

Apr 1, 2013

But three Leafs players could be in the conversation - we can have different views
Not odd that a father wants his son to make an extra million in endorsements, makes sense for a shout out.

AreBe

Apr 1, 2013

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Is Marner as good as Kucherov yet? Where would Marner be without that stud Tavares as his centre?

Marner's dad sounding worse than Willy's dad...hard to believe that's possible...I bet no team will be offer-sheeting Marner at $9 to $10 million.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
The kid is leading the team by a mile in points , on pace to finish 3rd or 4th all time in single season points by a Leaf and you wonder why his dad is a little off put by the hype around Mathews and Nylander ?

Reactions: Notsince67

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Is Marner as good as Kucherov yet? Where would Marner be without that stud Tavares as his centre?

Marner's dad sounding worse than Willy's dad...hard to believe that's possible...I bet no team will be offer-sheeting Marner at $9 to $10 million.
Marner will be better than Kucherov. If you don't know where Marner would be without Tavares you spent way too much time listening to the critics last year instead of watching games.
As for your bet, are you saying that there isn't a team in the league that would pay him 9-10 MM?

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
The kid is leading the team by a mile in points , on pace to finish 3rd or 4th all time in single season points by a Leaf and you wonder why his dad is a little off put by the hype around Mathews and Nylander ?

People talk about Nylander as chopped liver around here and in media. In any promo pictures it’s usually Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Rielly, Andersen

Reactions: AreBe

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto

Where would Tavares be without stud Marner as his winger? He is on pace for 50 goals and has never cracked 40 before. This is also with him getting around a minute less per game of ice time than he had on the Islanders.

Let's be honest here that Marner is driving all of the possession on that line. He is the only guy that makes plays happen with the puck. His linemates just need to get him the puck more and they will have even greater success.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Maybe all around game but offensively Kucherov is capable of 40G 60A year after year. Marner will need to become a much greater scoring threat.
Marner is capable of scoring more. He is far too deferential to Tavares but I think that is what makes him an exceptional player. He fills holes. If you project what Marner will do this year and add the other 2 years, compare it to what Kucherov did in his first 3 full seasons. Then look at the trend line. Also take a look where Tampa finished on that first full year, and you will see that he started playing on a good team. Marner will unlikely get an 8 year deal due to the value that contract is worth but I have no doubt that when he signs the next contract after this one that he will be among the highest paid players in the NHL if not the highest. He will blow past 12.5MM before McDavid is finished his 8 years,.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
If Marner's dad is put off by the hype around Nylander, he needs to get back to reality.
Can't see that really being the case. He probably loved the hype because it rolls out a red carpet for his boy to get paid more. I am sure he probably feels his son is the best kid on the ice. What dad doesn't think that?

Reactions: Nithoniniel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad