Is Marner the best passer in the league

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Marner reminds me of how Wellwood was — small and slight yet super crafty with soft hands (but obviously was better). When you think he doesn’t have the strength to make a cross ice pass, he threads the needle.

I don’t think he is the best passer in the game, but he sure makes some of the silkiest passes out there.

I don't think he's the best pure "passer" in the game but I think his vision is among the elite, and combined with his puck handling skills gives him that ability to see and make those passes. But what really puts him ahead is his edge work and lateral skating ability - that I believe the best in the league. He's able to pivot so well that when you combine his hands and his ability to see the ice, he can make passes anywhere.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Marner reminds me of how Wellwood was — small and slight yet super crafty with soft hands (but obviously was better). When you think he doesn’t have the strength to make a cross ice pass, he threads the needle.

I don’t think he is the best passer in the game, but he sure makes some of the silkiest passes out there.

Wellwood? Slight?

Marner

Hi I'm Mitch
Jan 30, 2010
Ottawa
He is a beast, just continues to drive his line and create chances out of nothing every game. 100 point seasons in his future imo

Reactions: The Cobra

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT

People forget how dynamic Wellwood was before all the groin injuries, kid had elite vision.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
I thought this was funny. Marner has 30 hits this year. He’s only taken 23. Marner literally hits more than he gets hit lol

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Marner is on pace for 97 assists. He's the best even-strength primary assist producer in the league (2.71 per 60), and by a wide margin (next best is 1.92).

Yeah, Marner is the best passer in the league. It was a little ambiguous at the start of this thread, but it ain't now.

Reactions: Kurtz and The Cobra

Prospero

Feb 23, 2013
Buffalo
He usually turns up the goalscoring in the second half, but I'm a little disappointed in his shot so far.

Sure, the passing is great, but the sniping isn't up to par.

BorntoLose

Nov 4, 2014
hes soo confident right now its crazy ever time he has the puck hes challenging defenders and gets the middle of the ice, or finds an open man. looking more and more like hes back in London destroying the league

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
He usually turns up the goalscoring in the second half, but I'm a little disappointed in his shot so far.

He didn't get his 2nd goal last year until mid December. Also his shooting % is really low right now, they'll start to go in. He should shoot more at times, but it's probably hard not dishing it to Tavares.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Which name do you prefer: Mitch? Mitchell? Mitchy?

Mitch is probably the best. A couple guys call me Mitchy. Maybe most guys, actually.

Mitchy it is. How would you describe how the first couple months of the season have gone for you?

It’s going well, the team’s doing really well.

How about for you, personally.

Yeah, it’s good. I mean, it’s been getting out to a good start, just got to make sure you keep your foot down and you’re not sitting back. I didn’t really set many goals ahead of the season, just wanted to come in and be more of a leader and have some more responsibility, and I think I’ve done that.

When we spoke in the summer, you were living with your family in Vaughan. Are you still?

No, I’m downtown now.

Oh wow, you moved out. Where to? Actually, you probably don’t want us printing that…

[Laughs.] Yeah, no! I’m living with my girlfriend. She’s the cook and all that, it’s been really good.

Good to hear. I know you really like your mom’s cooking.

I like the lasagna quite a bit — she makes a mean lasagna. Pasta, lots of pasta.

A lot of carbs, eh?

Yeah, she’s all into trying to get me bigger, so…
You’re a little picky.

I’d say more than a little.

What are your biggest dislikes?

Pfffff. Vegetables — don’t really like vegetables. Mostly all of them. Well, now I don’t mind a couple of them.

What don’t you mind?

That’s a good question.

Red peppers?

OK, yeah, I like those.

Cucumbers?

Yeah. I wouldn’t eat a cucumber just by itself, though.

Few would. Kale? Arugula?

No.

Mushrooms?

I’ve had them a couple times. You know escargot? OK, so somehow I like that. Yeah, it’s weird. When I go to The Keg, I order escargot and it comes with mushrooms on top, and I used to eat it with the mushrooms and had no problem, but for some reason one time I was just like, ‘Ah I don’t want the mushrooms anymore,’ and I just started taking them off. I pretty much tell myself I don’t like stuff when I haven’t really committed myself to it.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Glad they didn't ask him about what Mitch should make. It would not have been good for Mitch. He has told enough people already.

Prospero

Feb 23, 2013
Buffalo

Better, but still not a hat-trick.
I'd put him on Kadris line.
He's too deferential to JT, and Tavares can drive his own line.

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
Well this should put to rest any talk that the Marner and Matthews contract talks will be easier than Nylanders.

As for Marner's dad saying it drives their family nuts that Mitch isn't given more consideration for Captain, he needs a reality check. He shouldn't be the captain.

The fact is Marner is too happy go-lucky to be a captain. Paul Marner doesn't like that but it's the truth and their family should accept that fact.

Auston Matthews is the next Captain and everybody knows it. I'm fine if they throw an "A" on Marner next year to soothe his ego (and his dad) but he's too happy to be a serious leader.

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
Wow, Marner's dad is a crazy hockey dad. I think this article with him spouting off is just the beginning considering the contract coming up.

Interesting video from 2011 that shows insight on the Marners

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad