Is Marner the best passer in the league

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I was ok with the Marner pick, he had 2 goals in his first 30 games and 1 was on the PP, he was terrible until January.
No he wasn't "terrible", that's why a lot of you made fools of yourselves. He was a young guy Babs was pushing to mature his game, fact people couldn't see it as part of the process and were actually shitting all over him was pathetic. A second year pro figuring it out, tough love from Babs, and he was adjusting. He still had special talent written all over him and the heart was the clincher.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
No he wasn't "terrible", that's why a lot of you made fools of yourselves. He was a young guy Babs was pushing to mature his game, fact people couldn't see it as part of the process and were actually ****ting all over him was pathetic. A second year pro figuring it out, tough love from Babs, and he was adjusting. He still had special talent written all over him and the heart was the clincher.

No, he was playing with JVR and Bozak and was sheltered, he wasn't asked to play defensive or against hard matchups. I said in that thread he has not been good since he had that mono. When you guys take a liking to a player they cant do no wrong, I can like a player and still say he is sucking.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
No, he was playing with JVR and Bozak and was sheltered, he wasn't asked to play defensive or against hard matchups. I said in that thread he has not been good since he had that mono. When you guys take a liking to a player they cant do no wrong, I can like a player and still say he is sucking.
JVR and Bozak were sheltered, and continued to be so after Marner before and after he left and went to Kadri's line. FACT. That sheltered stuff was laughable too, look at him now, so silly. Do no wrong please, try projecting talent once and while.

Reactions: stickty111

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
JVR and Bozak were sheltered, and continued to be so after Marner before and after he left and went to Kadri's line. FACT. That sheltered stuff was laughable too, look at him now, so silly. Do no wrong please, try projecting talent once and while.

I said pre-mono Marner was great and he didn't play well after and slumped into the next season and started playing great after Christmas, dunno why you are getting all hyped up for?

Prospero

Feb 23, 2013
Buffalo
But you like him now.

Sweet, Maple Leafs.

Did you know that they eat candied maple leaves in Japan?

Also, very sweet.

As is Bitch Charmer's play as of late, and I'll even give some credit to coach, Spike Madcock for motivating him, maybe even teaching him, and others.

Prospero

Feb 23, 2013
Buffalo
"B1TC# Charmer."

Even better nickname than the "magician," in my humble opinion.

I am too shy to start a poll.

Knightnight

Mar 18, 2014

He was not sucking 4 points in first 5 games (thats about 65 pt pace). Freddys save % when that line was on ice was AHL level first 5 games. Marner demoted to 4th line (over Bozak and JVR because got to protect the vets) for about dozen games and he sucked? Hyman has gone for 10 games this year without a point. Not demoted off top line. Crickets from you but defending him in every thread. How bout the PK this year its quite frankly brutal. If that was Marner or Willy on the PK they be off it and on the 4th line again. I have no problem with Babcocks approach but have a real problem with the consistency he enforces it.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
He was not sucking 4 points in first 5 games (thats about 65 pt pace). Freddys save % when that line was on ice was AHL level first 5 games. Marner demoted to 4th line (over Bozak and JVR because got to protect the vets) for about dozen games and he sucked? Hyman has gone for 10 games this year without a point. Not demoted off top line. Crickets from you but defending him in every thread. How bout the PK this year its quite frankly brutal. If that was Marner or Willy on the PK they be off it and on the 4th line again. I have no problem with Babcock's approach but have a real problem with the consistency he enforces it.

no time will be wasted reading any of your posts, I put my profile on ignore last year because you had a habit of digging into my post history, all because I hurt your feelings, or whatever...

Last edited:

Knightnight

Mar 18, 2014
no time will be wasted reading any of your posts, I put my profile on ignore last year because you had a habit of digging into my post history, all because I hurt your feelings, or whatever...

Oh so sorry, could care less if I am on your ignore list. Your past and current posting really shows your total lack of hokey knowledge. Block away.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
A few years ago I described the difference between Willy and Marner in terms of playmaking like this, paraphrasing: "Willy sees the possibilities and obstacles, and controls the play until he finds a way to avoid the obstacles to create. He's got the vision, passing, and skating to tear apart structure and make it happen. Marner sees the possibilities and just straight bypasses the obstacles as if they weren't there. He doesn't create tears in the structure, he finds ways to go straight past it."

What I mean with that is that Marner has an immense sense of creativity to his game. He finds solutions you didn't even realize were options. For all his skating and skill, Willy is arguably even stronger in those areas. Pretty much nobody can match Marner's mind though.

Tremendous fun to have them both on our team. And that's not mentioning franchise player Matthews. And established superstar Tavares. Not to mention Rielly, Kadri, and all the other talent we have. At times it's so easy to get lost in the Willy contract dispute, or focusing solely on the playoffs ahead. About getting that cup, about finding success. I have to tell myself sometime to just relax and enjoy the present, because as a hockey fan you can't really get treated to a more fun team than this. It's a privilege.

Last edited:

bluumax

Mar 7, 2008
Interesting going back and reading through some posts in that poll.

My original opinion was that Marner had to gain some man-strength in order to not be separated from the puck so easily- which i think he's done and its helped his game.

But i definitely didn't respect how intelligent a player he is, his awareness of his surroundings and how a play develops is incredible.

Best passer doesn't do Marner's skill set justice- anybody can make tape to tape saucer pass with enough practice, but having the vision, timing, positional play and awareness to make the passes as dangerous as he does is next level.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I do find it interesting how some can't comment on Marner without injecting Nylander. It's like talking about Matthews and always referencing Marner. Old, out dated, tortured comparisons, die hard I suppose.

Last edited:

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
His two-way game gets extremely underrated.

Group-10-1-1024x576.png

Mitch Marner: As good without the puck as he is with it - The Point

Not bad, Mitchy. Not bad at all. :nod:

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
His hockey IQ is off the charts. Amazing vision. His edge work and stick skills are quite frankly remarkable. I'm been a fan since the 80's and this team is blessed with so much top end talent and just makes me so happy.

Reactions: authentic

Prospero

Feb 23, 2013
Buffalo
Marner has some ground to make up, in order to lead the league in points.

I like how his defense has become so important to the Leafs offense.

He needs to keep that up, and even improve, in order to get any NHL hardware.

Prospero

Feb 23, 2013
Buffalo
He's tied for 1st in the NHL in assists.

I really want him to bring his best to Buffalo and embarrass the Sabres.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
A few years ago I described the difference between Willy and Marner in terms of playmaking like this, paraphrasing: "Willy sees the possibilities and obstacles, and controls the play until he finds a way to avoid the obstacles to create. He's got the vision, passing, and skating to tear apart structure and make it happen. Marner sees the possibilities and just straight bypasses the obstacles as if they weren't there. He doesn't create tears in the structure, he finds ways to go straight past it."

What I mean with that is that Marner has an immense sense of creativity to his game. He finds solutions you didn't even realize were options. For all his skating and skill, Willy is arguably even stronger in those areas. Pretty much nobody can match Marner's mind though.

Tremendous fun to have them both on our team. And that's not mentioning franchise player Matthews. And established superstar Tavares. Not to mention Rielly, Kadri, and all the other talent we have. At times it's so easy to get lost in the Willy contract dispute, or focusing solely on the playoffs ahead. About getting that cup, about finding success. I have to tell myself sometime to just relax and enjoy the present, because as a hockey fan you can't really get treated to a more fun team than this. It's a privilege.

Beautiful post.

Reactions: authentic

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Marner reminds me of how Wellwood was — small and slight yet super crafty with soft hands (but obviously was better). When you think he doesn’t have the strength to make a cross ice pass, he threads the needle.

I don’t think he is the best passer in the game, but he sure makes some of the silkiest passes out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad