Is Malkin the best player in the world?

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
I've felt Malkin is the best player in the world for a few years now, but I'm fine with people disagreeing. What I don't think is arguable, is that he is the most talented and at times, most dominating player in the world.

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007
Not to incite any hate but where are all those posters that were claiming this would be yet again Crosby's year? As it stands, Crosby is playing at his lowest PPG of his career.

"The consensus best player in the world" does not play at a 25 goals pace while still being in his prime.

I'm sorry folks but this is the beginning of the regression of Crosby as a hockey player.

Even if he were to catch fire and win the Art Ross, his numerous pointless games this year should keep him off of anyone's Hart ballot.

Most of us always knew, it is Malkin and not Crosby who is the Penguins' true MVP and it has always been that way. A healthy Crosby makes the Penguins into a regular season President's tropy candidate, a healthy Malkin turns the Penguins into a Stanley Cup contender.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
I really don't understand how anyone could suggest Stamkos is a better player than Malkin.

Do people watch games? Stamkos is the best sniper in the NHL, but that's not the same thing. The guy ghosts more games than any superstar I know. Malkin dominates play, he doesn't just lurk in the reeds and pick corners.

He isn't, and any objective person would see that. People that try to say Stamkos is better simply have an agenda for one reason or another.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Not the best player and certainly not likeable. Sneaky dirty as well.

CaptainCatfish

Jan 4, 2014
Sweden, Göteborg
Just because the Pens have the 2 best hockey players in the world, doesn't guarantee them a cup. This is a team sport.

Wouldnt the best player in the world make players around him better? And if you have two of those, one on each on the first two lines make them realy dominant?
Feel like we're rating the best pointproducers and highlightworthy players.
Otherwise why cant a defensemen be in the discussion? like never, except for Bobby Orr for the rare occasion when someone says... "well, bobby orr was" like a 100 years ago...
Is it realy a discussion of who the best player is when d-men isnt in the discussion realy?

Still feel like the pens would be allot better if they had the two best players in the world and still a pretty decent line-up all around.

I like what someone else said here before, that there isnt realy a clear cut best player at this moment.

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007
Wouldnt the best player in the world make players around him better? And if you have two of those, one on each on the first two lines make them realy dominant?
Feel like we're rating the best pointproducers and highlightworthy players.
Otherwise why cant a defensemen be in the discussion? like never, except for Bobby Orr for the rare occasion when someone says... "well, bobby orr was" like a 100 years ago...
Is it realy a discussion of who the best player is when d-men isnt in the discussion realy?

Still feel like the pens would be allot better if they had the two best players in the world and still a pretty decent line-up all around.

I like what someone else said here before, that there isnt realy a clear cut best player at this moment.

Problem is there really isn't a current defensemen who deserves to be considered among the best in the world. This season Giordano has been a Hart candidate but no defenseman is really consistent enough or consistenly dominant enough to be included. You had Chara but he is clearly regressing, you maybe have Doughty, you have Karlsson who lacks the strong two-way game and you have PK Subban who is too inconsistent.

One player who I think is not getting enough respect this year as a valid Hart candidate is Rick Nash. He could be a darkhorse.

CaptainCatfish

Jan 4, 2014
Sweden, Göteborg
Problem is there really isn't a current defensemen who deserves to be considered among the best in the world. This season Giordano has been a Hart candidate but no defenseman is really consistent enough or consistenly dominant enough to be included. You had Chara but he is clearly regressing, you maybe have Doughty, you have Karlsson who lacks the strong two-way game and you have PK Subban who is too inconsistent.

One player who I think is not getting enough respect this year as a valid Hart candidate is Rick Nash. He could be a darkhorse.

Maybe this year I could agree but I feel like when was they ever in the discussion?
I mean sure theres more forwards in the league than defensemen so mathematicly they have an advantage but still...
Forwards are inconsistent to but its not noted in the same way, then you rather say that they are streaky. Wich isnt as bad.
Forwards stand out more with their game and so they are the best?

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007
Maybe this year I could agree but I feel like when was they ever in the discussion?
I mean sure theres more forwards in the league than defensemen so mathematicly they have an advantage but still...
Forwards are inconsistent to but its not noted in the same way, then you rather say that they are streaky. Wich isnt as bad.
Forwards stand out more with their game and so they are the best?

In the past, there have been many defensemen if you exclude Orr who have been in the discussion of being the best players in the world.

Lidstrom, Bourque, Chelios, Pronger, Niedermayer, Chara, Karlsson, Leetch, Coffey, Langway and Potvin have all been considered at one point or another in their careers of being one of the best if not best players in the NHL.

CaptainCatfish

Jan 4, 2014
Sweden, Göteborg
In the past, there have been many defensemen if you exclude Orr who have been in the discussion of being the best players in the world.

Lidstrom, Bourque, Chelios, Pronger, Niedermayer, Chara, Karlsson, Leetch, Coffey, Langway and Potvin have all been considered at one point or another in their careers of being one of the best if not best players in the NHL.

Yea I remember a few sens fans calling Karlsson the best player in the NHL for like half a season before the injury and maybe they were right but when speaking of Chara and Lidstrom there was always a forward that was "The" best player in discussions.
Everytime these d-men are talked about now days people say... "Yea he was like the best D-men at the time" or "Hes gonna go down as the 2nd best d-men of all time"
On rare occasions people will say he was the actual best player at the time.

I remember Sports Illustrated ranked Lidstrom best of the decade tho, but thats about it.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

Nobody other than maybe these guys' mothers (and in the case of Nieds, Don Cherry) ever suggested any of Leetch, Chelios, Coffey, or Niedermayer was the best player in the NHL. I believe you're confused in that the first two were suggested to be the best American player ever (I'd have them 1 and 2) and the second pair have been suggested to have been the best skaters in NHL history (rightly or wrongly).

I'm extremely skeptical that would have been said of Langway, Chara or Potvin, but I can't say for sure what might have been written in their local markets.

Lidstrom, Bourque and, very briefly, Pronger and Karlsson were, indeed, in the discussion, though three would have been dark horse picks, and Pronger was only the title holder for about 18 months, if that.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
when crosby is out and malkin gets to play top line minutes with the top talent ....YES undoubtedly.

His hart year he was unbelievable. The closest thing to jagr that we have seen.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
There's no argument for Malkin over crosby

06-07
Crosby 120 in 79 1.52 ppg
Malkin 85 in 78 1.09 ppg

07-08
Malkin 106 in 82 1.29 ppg
Crosby 72 in 53 1.36 ppg

08-09
Malkin 113 in 82 1.39 ppg
Crosby 103 in 77 1.34 ppg

09-10
Crosby 109 in 81 1.35 ppg
Malkin 77 in 67 1.15 ppg

10-11
Crosby 66 in 41 1.61 ppg
Malkin 37 in 43 games 0.86 ppg

11-12
Malkin 109 in 75 games 1.45 ppg
Crosby 37 in 22 1.68 ppg

12-13
Crosby 56 in 36 1.56 ppg
Malkin 33 points in 31 games 1.06 ppg

13-14
Crosby 104 in 80 1.30 ppg
Malkin 72 in 60 1.20 ppg

As we can see crosby is better every season besides 08-09 and 11-12. With the later crosby missing the entire season. Crosby DOMINATES Malkin in 06-07 09-10 10-11 12-13. There's no argument

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
when crosby is out and malkin gets to play top line minutes with the top talent ....YES undoubtedly.

His hart year he was unbelievable. The closest thing to jagr that we have seen.

When Malkin is not producing for whatever reason, Crosby always steps it up.

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö

Agree with the post overall. Altough I think the D that should be closest to being counted is Weber. And I could see a good case. He was less than 1% of votes from 2 Norris trophies (10/11, 11/12), had an underappreciated season on a loosy Nashville team that still got him to 7:th place (12/13) and lost a First All Star Team with 432 to Charas 442 votes (13/14).

AJRAYMOND

Jun 13, 2009
Canada
PPG is a useless statistic comparing Crosby and Malkin. First off the team has always catered to Crosby giving him the best linemates and the prime position on the PP. Second of all he is out there for every empty net opportunity there is. Watch the games. You'll see who dominates. I said it before and I'll say it again if Bylsma had of put Malkin with Kunitz and Neal last year instead of catering to Crosby to get "him going" last year in the playoffs, the Pens might of won the Cup. Look at Neal without Malkin useless in the playoffs last year and (besides a week or two this year) not very good again. Look at Blake Comeau thriving with Geno. Watch the games and just don't look at stats.

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
Nobody other than maybe these guys' mothers (and in the case of Nieds, Don Cherry) ever suggested any of Leetch, Chelios, Coffey, or Niedermayer was the best player in the NHL. I believe you're confused in that the first two were suggested to be the best American player ever (I'd have them 1 and 2) and the second pair have been suggested to have been the best skaters in NHL history (rightly or wrongly).

I'm extremely skeptical that would have been said of Langway, Chara or Potvin, but I can't say for sure what might have been written in their local markets.

Lidstrom, Bourque and, very briefly, Pronger and Karlsson were, indeed, in the discussion, though three would have been dark horse picks, and Pronger was only the title holder for about 18 months, if that.

Agree with most.

I would say that Leetch had a spring where he was regarded the best. That Conny Smyth-run was one for the ages. But that´s hardly enough time, so agree on him.

Chara and Chelios had time periods where they would challenge for it. A D-oriented expert could easily have argumented for them.

The one I don´t agree with is Potvin. In Orrs abscence and before Gretzky he, Lafleur and Clarke (and later teammate Trottier) each probably was seen as the best player in the leauge, depending on wich expert you asked. Maybe even Park some year...

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
PPG is a useless statistic comparing Crosby and Malkin. First off the team has always catered to Crosby giving him the best linemates and the prime position on the PP. Second of all he is out there for every empty net opportunity there is. Watch the games. You'll see who dominates. I said it before and I'll say it again if Bylsma had of put Malkin with Kunitz and Neal last year instead of catering to Crosby to get "him going" last year in the playoffs, the Pens might of won the Cup. Look at Neal without Malkin useless in the playoffs last year and (besides a week or two this year) not very good again. Look at Blake Comeau thriving with Geno. Watch the games and just don't look at stats.

So you agree Crosby was better than Malkin in the 2009 playoffs despite point totals?

Crosby was the better 2 way player, more disciplined, was snakebit against Detroit and took on Detroit's best defensive players while Makin was free of Datsyuk who shut him down the year before.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Seguin is scoring at 150% of what Benn is. Benn is not even PPG. I'm sure he's better than whoever Malkin gets to play with, but I have no doubt that Seguin is helping Benn at least as much as Benn is helping Seguin.

Right now, Seguin is playing better than Malkin.

Seguin has spent most of the season playing with Benn and Spezza, legitimate first liners.

Malkin has spent the year playing with a combination of Comeau, Megna, Rust, Klinkhammer, Spaling, and Sutter. All 3rd or 4th liners. (He played 3 games with Hornqvist as well).

Sorry, it's not comparable.

Malkin has been playing better than Seguin. If he was playing with Seguin's linemates he would be the runaway points leader already.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Put Seguin with Klinkhammer and Comeau, and Malkin with Benn and Spezza, and this wouldn't even be close to a conversation. The fact that Geno's a single point behind Seguin given the linemate discrepancy speaks volmes.

Seguin's a great player and all, but let's try to be realistic.

Couldn't have said it any better. :handclap:

Dynamo81

Mar 21, 2008
Aussie in Moscow
PPG is a useless statistic comparing Crosby and Malkin.

Even So let's have a look at it season by season, generally I would take a players PPG into consideration if they played at least 60 games, otherwise it is too speculative.

Here is how they fared 60+ games in overall standings for Points Per games.

06-07= 1.Crosby(1.52ppg) 13. Ovechkin (1.12ppg) 18.Malkin(1.09ppg)
07-08= 1.Ovechkin(1.37ppg) 2. Malkin (1.29ppg) Crosby pld 53 games
08-09= 1.Ovechkin(1.39ppg) 2. Malkin (1.38ppg) 3.Crosby(1.34ppg)
09-10= 1.Ovechkin(1.51ppg) 4. Crosby (1.35ppg) 8.Malkin(1.15ppg)
10-11= 9.Ovechkin(1.08ppg) Crosby pld 41, Malkin pld 43 games
11-12= 1.Malkin(1.68ppg) 44.Ovechkin (0.83ppg) Crosby pld 22games
12-13= 1.Crosby(1.56ppg) 5.Ovechkin (1.17ppg) 14.Malkin(1.06ppg)
13-14= 1.Crosby(1.30ppg) 2. Malkin (1.20ppg) 8.Ovechkin(1.01ppg)

Of course Crosby's injuries affected this, he had a good 07-08 season although not sure if he would have done better than Ovechkin and Malkin over 82 games. In 11-12 Crosby had a ppg of 1.68 over 22 games, Malkin had it over 82 games. 10-11 Crosby was as usual on good pace but only 41 games played.

Even so, Crosby in my eyes has been the more consistent player in bringing results, Malkin when on is more enjoyable, entertaining to watch and you can see him dominate in comparison to Crosby, but he won't generate as many points as Crosby does. Although, Malkin's 11-12 season was probably the best season if you were to compare the two. What a season.

I feel Crosby's dominance is sometimes over stated as he never to me played a dominant game (Compared to say Ovechkin in his prime or Malkin when he was on fire), however he always was the architect behind plays, even when it felt like he wasn't doing much. His injuries will also let him down in terms of people claiming him as a clear number 1 player of the post 04-05 lockout era. Arguments could be made for anyone, in my eyes Crosby was the best all round player from 05-14, but Ovechkin's peak (07-10) was the best of the three and I found Ovechkin, Malkin more enjoyable to watch than Crosby.

It really comes down to the individuals preference in the debate.

To answer the question, to the actual thread, there is no clear number 1 player in the world, however last season, Crosby was the clear number 1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad