Is Malkin the best player in the world?

Hazu*

Sep 25, 2011
As you guys know, I am I huge Crosby fan, but Malkin is still my favorite player. He has it all : a very nice shape, great hands, he's fast and he's a very likable person.

Malkin
548 GP
255 G
414 A
669 P
1.22 PPG

Crosby
577 GP
283 G
521 A
804 P
1.39 PPG

Obviously, Crosby has the better career so far but knowing that :

1) Crosby always had the better wingers (or most of the time at least)
2) Crosby average more ice time than Malkin
3) Malkin has over 1.35 PGG (don't know the exact number) when Crosby is out the lineup.

Can we assume that Malkin could possibly be the best player in the world if he played for a different team with decent wingers or can we already say that he's the best player in the world even though Crosby had better statistics so far?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hazu*

Sep 25, 2011
I meant best in the title!!!!!

Can a moderator fix this please?!

Thank you

jdatb

Apr 29, 2014
He's the second best Russian in the world after Ovechkin so he's second best in the world.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
As you guys know, I am I huge Crosby fan, but Malkin is still my favorite player. He has it all : a very nice shape, great hands, he's fast and he's a very likable person.

Malkin
548 GP
255 G
414 A
669 P
1.22 PPG

Crosby
577 GP
283 G
521 A
804 Park
1.39 PPG

Obviously, Crosby has the better career so far but knowing that :

1) Crosby always had the better wingers (or most of the time at least)
2) Crosby average more ice time than Malkin
3) Malkin has over 1.35 PGG (don't know the exact number) when Crosby is out the lineup.

Can we assume that Malkin could possibly be the best player in the world if he played for a different team with decent wingers or can we already say that he's the best player in the world even though Crosby had better statistics so far?

Thank you.

Loved the bolded part.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Malkin spent a couple seasons with an elite winger, something Crosby never had the benefit of. Crosby is better in nearly ever imaginable way.

PenguinMario

Oct 21, 2011
Los Angeles
I consider shapeliness very important to the game of hockey.

But no. Malkin has actually had better wings over their careers, other than the few dozen games he's played with Hossa/Hornqvist. Malkin scores less despite playing slightly less difficult competition and much more favorable starts. His defense is a bit worse by any shot/goal/corsi measure you want to name, and his draws are much worse. He draws more penalties per minute than Crosby, but takes them at a far greater rate as well.

He's one of two Pens that I never want to see leave. But he's not number one.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I've always found that if Crosby and Malkin are playing at their peak potentials, Malkin's the more dominant player.

jdatb

Apr 29, 2014
I'm sorry but if we're talking about now, Ovechkin is not even in the discussion.

I'm sorry, but do you ever watch Ovechkin play? You have to use the eye test. Also, when was the last time Malkin made a music video? Ovechkin > Malkin AINEC

Ralphy*

I'm sorry, but do you ever watch Ovechkin play? You have to use the eye test. Also, when was the last time Malkin made a music video? Ovechkin > Malkin AINEC

Ovechkin isn't even in the top 3 in the NHL anymore.

I say this as someone who really really likes Ovechkin.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Sidney Crosby is still the best player in the world.

Evgeni Malkin is number two. Not a bad gig.

nwaZ*

He went from .6 pts per game in Anaheim to .8 in Pittsburgh.

I'm sure that's a coincidence, though.

Question was quote who did Crosby have end quote. Answer is: capable winger Kunitz who scored 60 pts before.

Of course being with Crosby has been good for his numbers. But Kunitz is a good player in his own right.

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
I think overall Crosby is better, but when Malkin decides to take over and is the best player in the world for a stretch of time he can be visually (MacT tm) dominant in a way you hardly see from anyone else.

Kunitz 50-60 point player with Anaheim.

This myth that he's a scrub which has been created and distributed by Pens fans is frankly disgusting.

I am sorry? This is distributed by Pens fans? WHAT? It's constantly used by none Pens fans to illustrate how their scrub will totally score 40 with Crosby.

You should go back read some Olympic nomination threads if you want to see how this is really perpetuated by non-Pens fans mostly.

Edit: As a matter of fact I think if we are talking Pens fans, they are actually more prone to talk about how Malkin turned 25/25 Neal into a 40 goal scorer much more then they are into dissing pre-Crosby-Kunitz.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad