Is Korshkov going to be a bust?

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
He may be something good when he comes over.

There were many other players I wanted at that pick. How nice would Girard look on this D right now? Really wanted Debrincat too.

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
Cap management. You can not draft everyone from CHL guys. When he comes over he will have matured and played years of pro hockey and will be on his ELC!

Reactions: 4thline

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
I'm not recognizing too many names that were taken after him in the draft only a few. Who would you rather have had? Also his twitter appears to be nothing but NHL/ Leafs stuff. What were you referring to there? Yeah I agree though not looking like a great pick.

Why are people so high on Grundstrom? His stats don't look all that impressive do they? 14 points in 20 playoff games with the Marlies. Not bad I guess. Good defensively? I don't watch many Marlies games.

I think you are underestimating how 20 year old perform in the AHL/SHL. He was performing as an elite scorer in the SHL and his performance with the Marlies was pretty damn good too. He was about 8th in PPG for U21 when you use his playoff PPG and rank it in the PPG for the regular season (.70). If you combine his regular season and playoffs then it jumps to .77 and he ranks 5th.

To add to all of that he seems to be a shit disturber similar to Komarov. Definitely value in players like that, if they can keep up.

If Grundstrom is playing on the Marlies (95% chance he will), then I imagine he puts up close to .85-.90 PPG, which would be a legit NHL prospect that is likely going to make the jump with his style.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The message here is dont draft Russians. Take a wait and see approach and sign free agents out of the KHL. That seems like the most effective way lately. Too many high Russiam picks have either been a bust (Svitov, Perezhogin, Tihkonov, Filatov, Yakupov) or they bolt (Nishchuskin, Radulov, etc). The risk is almost never worth the reward.

Kucherov, Vasilevskiy, Provorov, Sergachev, Kuznetsov, Tarasenko...

Reactions: Marmoset

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Cap management. You can not draft everyone from CHL guys. When he comes over he will have matured and played years of pro hockey and will be on his ELC!
I agree. However, I would call it more player contract management. You have 2 years to sign CHL players, so like you said if draft strictly CHL, you really handcuff yourself with your prospects, and will push up against the 90 contract limit.

Reactions: taurine330

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Common sense should tell you we cant really judge the guy until he is playing on one of the Toronto teams.

Reactions: Kubus

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
I didn't love the pick, but at the time of the draft I never know enough about the players at that point to have a strong opinion (besides the top guys).

I think there are two issues which some people are combining - the issue of his development, and the issue of him playing in Russia.

We've been having trouble finding roster spots on the Marlies as it is, so I don't really have an issue with him being overseas. For the comments about avoiding Russians, there are some extremely good Russian players (some mentioned in posts above) who have been taken around the same point in the draft - I wouldn't avoid a player unless there are serious concerns that the specific player will not come to North America.

Reactions: 4thline

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I wouldn't say the kid is a bust just yet, but I agree that Hunter was overrated as a head scout. Maybe someone will emerge but we need one of those lower picks to actually become a player.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
As others have said, too early to tell. Thread seems like an excuse to hate on Hunter.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Wasn't crazy on the pick at the time (wanted Clague), but I warmed up to it with his good/great seasons in the KHL.

I'm not sure how he's a "bust" though when he hasn't even tried to come to NA yet. You have no idea what he'd be like on the different ice and different game.

member 300185

The message here is dont draft Russians. Take a wait and see approach and sign free agents out of the KHL. That seems like the most effective way lately. Too many high Russiam picks have either been a bust (Svitov, Perezhogin, Tihkonov, Filatov, Yakupov) or they bolt (Nishchuskin, Radulov, etc). The risk is almost never worth the reward.
You hit the nail on the head.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Hahahaha, yep, reacting 2 years later. Yep, I sure jumped on this one. You just needed to say something derogatory didnt you?

And I didnt demote him to the 3rd line, Lokomotiv did, based on his poor play.

Marner played 3rd and 4th line for a good portion of the 1st half of last season, is he a bust?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If he were in the NCAA would people consider him a bust?

Probably? An overager drafted in the top 40 should be able to keep developing and progress, or at least be closer to NHL ready. Nothing indicates that Korshkov has done that since he was drafted.

A NCAA prospect as a 21/22 year old drafted in the top 40, I'd expect him to be near NHL ready by now.

Dylan Gambrell was also drafted as a Overager from the NCAA with the last pick of the 2nd round and has already played NHL games with the Sharks.

Nothing wrong with the pick at the time but unfortunately, it does appear Hunter miss-judged. It's still early though so we'll see. Maybe Korshkov explodes this season... who knows.

Last edited:

member 300185

Marner played 3rd and 4th line for a good portion of the 1st half of last season, is he a bust?
That doesn't make sense on so many levels. Marner wasn't performing like he should. He worked his way out of it. Marner was a 4OA pick. Marner is actually in North America. Marner paid his dues. Marner is actually IN the NHL as opposed to Korshkov, who is none of these. Korshkov has been sat the last 2 games without injury. His poor play is seeing him go down the lineup....in the KHL, not the NHL. Marner is developed, Korshkov is not. And with Lokomotiv hiring a new coach, is not helping. For some reason that new coach doesn't like Korshkov. Marner has done everything the Leafs have asked. When the Leafs asked Korshkov to come over this year, he signed a new deal in the K.

You cant compare Korshkov to and NHL player, unless that player eventually came over later and did well. But right now, Korshkov is falling in our depth of our prospect pool and its not looking good.

member 300185

Its not cap management by the Leafs. They wanted him this year. They did not tell him to stay in the K for another year, they asked him to come over this year and he said no and re-signed with Lokomotiv for another year.

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
Kucherov, Vasilevskiy, Provorov, Sergachev, Kuznetsov, Tarasenko...
All 26 and under. Let's wait and see what happens. Picking Russians with high picks is risky, due to the allure of the KHL and them going home to play. Also take Kucherov off the list, he was a late second rounder. Not a high pick.

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
Yeah, it would have sucked to have wasted picks to sit on the rights to Panarin, Dadonov, Shumakov, Kaprizov, and Nichushkin.

Way better to watch them play for other teams
Hahaha so salty. And let's pick and chose parts of my post that fit your narrative. Read the reasons why it's such a risk. Thanks for coming out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad