Is Korshkov going to be a bust?

member 300185

It seems the Leafs wasted their 2nd round pick in 2016. Most of Leafs nation were beside themselves when Korshkov was picked when so many better players were going all around him. Most of HF at the time, thought Korshkov could have been gotten in the 4th round as he was not on anyones radar.

Lokomotiv just hired a new coach and Korshkov got moved to the 3rd line. And, it appears Korshkov has absolutely no desire to come to the NHL. If he was picked this year at the same pick, he would have been selected in the 1st round. Another Hunter blunder. I dont know why MH gets so much love around here. Or the Euro scout insisted Hunter take the player but Hunter had final say and the responsibility lay on his shoulders.

IMHO that was a waste of an early 2nd round pick. Not only has he turned out to be a dud, he also doesn't want to come to Toronto, or anywhere in NA for that matter. When he told the Leafs he wasn't coming, the Leafs were angry. You can read all this on his twitter.

He just turned 22 in July. Thats the age where good players have their first peek levels. Between 22 and 23, most good players have their first career year. Korshkov got worse and demoted from 2nd line to 3rd line.

What was your opinion on the pick?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
What was your opinion on the pick?

See Dadonov, Shumakov, Nichuskin. It's a pick that has a lot of road yet to play out, had strong merits based on his play at the time and the advantages of KHL development.

I have a higher opinion of the pick than of your reactionary analysis

Reactions: Leafidelity

member 300185

See Dadonov, Shumakov, Nichuskin. It's a pick that has a lot of road yet to play out, had strong merits based on his play at the time and the advantages of KHL development.

I have a higher opinion of the pick than of your reactionary analysis
Hahahaha, yep, reacting 2 years later. Yep, I sure jumped on this one. You just needed to say something derogatory didnt you?

And I didnt demote him to the 3rd line, Lokomotiv did, based on his poor play.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Hahahaha, yep, reacting 2 years later. Yep, I sure jumped on this one. You just needed to say something derogatory didnt you?

And I didnt demote him to the 3rd line, Lokomotiv did, based on his poor play.
Point
Head.

Reactionary= taking the recent actions of one coach as ironclad proof that a 22 year old is a bust, despite the fact he's performed on par with many Russian players who have been impact NHL'rs and didn't cross the pond until they were materially older than he he is now, ignoring that we hold his rights for 5 more years.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
At this point I would be surprised if he makes any impact in the NHL.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
It was a head scratcher at the time, and hasn't worked out since.

In saying that, even the best scouting staffs typically only land ~2 NHLers per draft, and regularly miss on their 2nd rounders.

First two drafts post-Nonis we drafted Dermott, Bracco, Grundstrom, and Korshkov in the 2nd round. There's a very good chance we'll have at least 2 NHLers, maybe 3 out of that mix. So that's pretty solid.

For comparison, Finn, Ross, Ryan, and Blacker were our 2nd rounders from the Burke/Nonis era. None were even good AHLers, let alone NHLers.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Spending your high picks on OA guys tends to be a low ROI, Durzi is a similar Hail Mary. I wouldn't have made those two picks myself, but what makes them an interesting gamble is how young players are used in the K, and Durzi's injury his draft year. When players are used regularly and don't dominate you kind of know what their best scenario might be. When players are arbitrarily sat or when they are injured pre draft, they don't get the real chance to show their talent against their peers. They are wild cards at that point. The K and its predecessor has always been pay your dues leagues Nobody thinks Korsh is a budding Fedorov but look at SF's draft year. Not playing in Russia doesn't necessarily mean can't play. Its a huge season for Korsh though. He's a vet at his physical prime, and if he is ever going to be more than a 4th line plumber it will likely show this year. If he doesn't earn and perform in his minutes this season, he probably won't even come over.

Reactions: FishManSam

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Another Hunter blunder?

I'm sure even if Korshkov doesn't pan out that it will be countered by having picked Marner, Dermott, Grundstron. Liljegren and possibly few others TBD.

member 300185

Spending your high picks on OA guys tends to be a low ROI, Durzi is a similar Hail Mary. I wouldn't have made those two picks myself, but what makes them an interesting gamble is how young players are used in the K, and Durzi's injury his draft year. When players are used regularly and don't dominate you kind of know what their best scenario might be. When players are arbitrarily sat or when they are injured pre draft, they don't get the real chance to show their talent against their peers. They are wild cards at that point. The K and its predecessor has always been pay your dues leagues Nobody thinks Korsh is a budding Fedorov but look at SF's draft year. Not playing in Russia doesn't necessarily mean can't play. Its a huge season for Korsh though. He's a vet at his physical prime, and if he is ever going to be more than a 4th line plumber it will likely show this year. If he doesn't earn and perform in his minutes this season, he probably won't even come over.
Agree completely. And with a 3rd line demotion, his minutes will also go down. I am glad the Leafs didnt offer him an Elc. I'd rather give it to someone who actually wants to come here. Plus, lets face it, where would Korshkov slot in? Certainly not in the top 9. I don't think he will even make the 4th line. If Loko doesn't extend him after this year, Leafs should walk away.

member 300185

Another Hunter blunder?

I'm sure even if Korshkov doesn't pan out that it will be countered by having picked Marner, Dermott, Grundstron. Liljegren and possibly few others TBD.
To be fair, Marner was there. It wasn't a hard pick. Lilly fell. Leafs Euro scouts were all over Lilly. He is going to be a good one.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Hard to gauge this player. Minimal viewings, occasional video clips. Doesn't look good for him right now. Probably would top out like a Ponikarovski type player, but he has to come over and play on the Marlies if there is any hope for him.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
just wondering how many players do people believe a team should get out of every draft and how quick do think believe they'll make the NHL ?

Hunters drafts

-Marner - Dermott
-Bracco - Lindgren
- Timashov

-Mathews
-Grundstrom
-Korshkov - Woll

- TL
- ?

this is just off the top of head so if people believe others are progressing well feel free to add them

also it's still way to early imo to gauge how his drafts were

and judging by some of the comments it seems like people expect to get 3 to 5 quality NHLers out of every draft which would be great but delusional

member 300185

just wondering how many players do people believe a team should get out of every draft and how quick do think believe they'll make the NHL ?

Hunters drafts

-Marner - Dermott
-Bracco - Lindgren
- Timashov

-Mathews
-Grundstrom
-Korshkov - Woll

- TL
- ?

this is just off the top of head so if people believe others are progressing well feel free to add them

also it's still way to early imo to gauge how his drafts were

and judging by some of the comments it seems like people expect to get 3 to 5 quality NHLers out of every draft which would be great but delusional
Good points. I didnt say ALL of Hunters picks were blunders, but Korskov was definitely one of them. And fans around here new it at the time. Same as Veleno this year. He is tearing it up in Detroit. But, that said, we are already pretty stacked on offence.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Nonsense, Mark Hunter couldnt possibly have blown a high pick. The media and this board have told me that hes the greatest scout who ever scouted

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad