Speculation: Is Kadri going through the motions this year?

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
We would all love to see Kadri play with an edge to his game because we sure need it with a team that has only a few of his kind.

He just looks lost out there, with no direction and no purpose.

Come on Kadri, go out and throw a few hits and be a pest again.:arr::clap:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Give him a couple decent line-mates that match his game and he will be fine. He needs a guy who can fore check like Moore and a guy who can shoot like Willy. That line would really work well. If you give him a boat anchor like Marleau his scoring production will drop as he has to do all the work on the line every shift. Kappy is good but his shot still needs more accuracy.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Really!

Lol

Kadri has to play in an engaging manner and not this caricature of a player we once raved about.

Right now he is nothing but a floater.
So I posted his all CF% which is at a career high. And you say he is floating. I see a real enguaged player who is helping us to maintain possessions of the puck and keeps pressuring his opponents and now running out of his way to finish checks ( he will in playoffs) keeping his PIMs down as hey he gets attacked if he sneezes on anyone in here.

Floater I think you have him confused with someone else.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
So I posted his all CF% which is at a career high. And you say he is floating. I see a real enguaged player who is helping us to maintain possessions of the puck and keeps pressuring his opponents and now running out of his way to finish checks ( he will in playoffs) keeping his PIMs down as hey he gets attacked if he sneezes on anyone in here.

Floater I think you have him confused with someone else.
My issue with Kadri this year is off the rush he seems to have the blinders on more so than in the past.
I know tv angle can skew things but he seems to take a lot of low percentage shots when there looks to be better options.
Notice this more so this season.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
His Even Strength production is barely down from last year, and he benefited from having Marner on his line last year. He's clearly the #3 C on this team now, which is a great luxury to have. Of course his production, and line mates were going to go down, that was an expected, and I even suggested such in the off season.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
My issue with Kadri this year is off the rush he seems to have the blinders on more so than in the past.
I know tv angle can skew things but he seems to take a lot of low percentage shots when there looks to be better options.
Notice this more so this season.
Yes he has not had as good a year with his shots hitting the net. He seems to pass more depending on who he is on the ice with.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
no it wasn't. The discussion was performance. Points per game is a metric you can use to measure it, but there's no reason you would need to. In fact, it's better to look at points per 60
Kadri: 0.58 ppg
Nylander: 0.48 ppg

Kadri also plays with the top PP unit (undeservedly). Nylander produces better at 5v5

You replied to Yubbers post which clearly showed that talking about ppg. I showed you that Kadri produced more at even strength and 5 on 5 ppg as was the discussion.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
Relative to expectations, Nylander situation aside, the forward who has arguably struggled the most is Nazem Kadri. Here’s his production in comparison to the past few years:
Nazem KadriPoints/60Shots/60Points per Game
2018-192.29.2.58
2017-182.59.5.7
2016-172.810.6.76
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
The production has not exactly fallen off a cliff, but the rub to this is that Kadri’s no longer in the strict matchup shutdown role that he was in previous seasons. That means that in comparison to the seasons before, they are actually creating a line that should be taking advantage of matchups and producing more, yet he is producing less. Kadri is a really good player, but he has not looked himself on a third line that calls for less responsibility and more production.

From Maple leafs Hotstove.

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Kadri is also the bump guy on PP1 and Nylander pays the half board on pp2. Not sure that is a big advantage for Kadri. Nylander would probably prefer to play the half board on PP2.

It makes no sense to trade a value contract like Kadri's in a cap crunch, especially when part of that thought process is moving Nylander to center who has never been very good there or proven he can drive his own line.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
You replied to Yubbers post which clearly showed that talking about ppg. I showed you that Kadri produced more at even strength and 5 on 5 ppg as was the discussion.
And Yubbers replied to a post talking about Nylander having outperformed Kadri. You clearly don't understand the difference between a discussion and supporting evidence. You weren't discussing points per game. You were discussing performance and using a sub-optimal metric as evidence for your claims

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Relative to expectations, Nylander situation aside, the forward who has arguably struggled the most is Nazem Kadri. Here’s his production in comparison to the past few years:
2018-192.29.2.58
2017-182.59.5.7
2016-172.810.6.76
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
The production has not exactly fallen off a cliff, but the rub to this is that Kadri’s no longer in the strict matchup shutdown role that he was in previous seasons. That means that in comparison to the seasons before, they are actually creating a line that should be taking advantage of matchups and producing more, yet he is producing less. Kadri is a really good player, but he has not looked himself on a third line that calls for less responsibility and more production.

The Points/Per 60 being what I'd focus on... What was his production last year, before Marner joined his line? His stats down this year, can pretty much be attributed to not having the same quality linemates.

Reactions: diceman934

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Hopefully when we can get rid of one or both of Brown and Marleau the third line will see improvements

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
2018-192.29.2.58
2017-182.59.5.7
2016-172.810.6.76
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

lol what a garbage article. No surprise from that source. Without context those numbers mean nothing. His best line mate was a player who has struggled worse then him to produce offence then it has been the who’s who of players who have struggled. On this thread people are calling two of his linemates as useless or worse. Add in Par Lindholm for a bunch of games and any expectation of offensive production is unrealistic. QOT vs last year is vastly inferior. Articles written to suit and agenda that lack context are worth as much as a roll of used toilet paper.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Kadri is still a good player but it’s also not exactly out of his question that his best days may be behind him.

Not every guy stays in their prime as they get closer to 30. And many of the guys who do tend to be star level talent

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
His wingers have been Brown and Marleau. Those two cause hockey to die.

Also not wrong, these guys will neuter even their most productive linemates. Everyone tends to produce better as soon as they eat bumped off their line.

If Kadri got paired with a more skilled guy consistently who could help carry the load offensively he’d get a boost for sure

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
He's just playing possum, waiting for the "real" games to start, hopefully PM is doing the same. :thumbu:

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
lol what a garbage article. No surprise from that source. Without context those numbers mean nothing. His best line mate was a player who has struggled worse then him to produce offence then it has been the who’s who of players who have struggled. On this thread people are calling two of his linemates as useless or worse. Add in Par Lindholm for a bunch of games and any expectation of offensive production is unrealistic. QOT vs last year is vastly inferior. Articles written to suit and agenda that lack context are worth as much as a roll of used toilet paper.

It's always the linemates fault.
A good centre should be able to drive his own line.

Kadri needs to show something out there!

No agenda in that article.

But whatever I don't give a crap.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
We’ve evolved from Bozak/Kadri to Matthews/JT yet still somehow run Rielly/Hainsey.

Time to let go and upgrade money on D.
Just like the Hawks had Keith/Seabrook/Hjalmarsson, we need Rielly/RD/Muzzin and then work the young guys in slowly. But we need that 3 ultra reliable D to insulate.
Kadri/Kapanen/Johnsson/Brown whatever.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
We’ve evolved from Bozak/Kadri to Matthews/JT yet still somehow run Rielly/Hainsey.

Just like the Hawks had Keith/Seabrook/Hjalmarsson, we need Rielly/RD/Muzzin and then work the young guys in slowly. But we need that 3 ultra reliable D to insulate.

S
Goes to show how important it is to develop you’re own. They were scouting teams heavily but I’m glad they didn’t overpay. When healthy and if utilized properly I don’t think our d is that bad at all

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Dragging around the corpse of Patty Marleau will hurt anyones stats.

Well, not Auston Matthews.

Marleau-Kapanen is his most frequent line combo.

20 points with those wingers. 25 points with all other wingers combined

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

yah well i've stopped hoping for that.
the leafs best bet would have been to trade Kadri who had amazing value, on a great deal this summer for defense - for the fact that Naz's production was hampered being moved down to the third line. We could have gotten a third line centre who is actually used to little minutes to produce, and boom. we're cooking. and it's nothing against Naz. it just made the most sense for this team to do.

but our GM thinks our defense is underrated and people think we can just Pittsburgh this out, so who knows if we'll ever really make strides to improve our defense on either the back end or on the wings/middle.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

Even Strength Line Combinations

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad