Speculation: Is Kadri going through the motions this year?

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
Where has the old Kadri gone? He hasn't been the same player since he was suspended last season in the playoffs.

I know he had a concussion mid-season but he was not very physical before that happened either.

Has he looked around at his soft teammates and made a decision to simply go through the motions instead of putting his body on the line?

Is he pouting about his role this year after 91 was signed?

Is he pouting about how much money he is earning compared to Nylander who has NEVER scored more than 22 goals? I'm sure he is well aware of what Marner will be earning next year.

In conclusion, if he's not being a rat and hitting people he is useless and must be traded this off-season. I've been a big Kadri supporter from day one but his play this year has been unacceptable. He's part of the problem.

Last edited:

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
His wingers have been Brown and Marleau. Those two cause hockey to die.
I can understand if his production goes down but he's not even trying. His effort is pathetic and he's not being a pest. I can't remember the last time he hit anyone with authority.

Last edited:

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
HF posters: "Of course Nylander won't produce points with Marleau and Brown as his wingerzzz"

Same HF posters: "Why isn't Kadri producing!?!?!?"

:facepalm:

I was talking about effort, hitting, and being a pest. At one time he was one of the best defensive centers in the league. I haven't seen that this year also.

Last edited by a moderator:

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
I was talking about effort, hitting, and being a pest. At one time he was one of the best defensive centers in the league. I haven't seen that this year also.
Not a chance. He matched up vs team's top lines last season at times, and had a very good game against McDavid that ONE time, but I never really saw him as good defensively.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ricky Bobby and kb

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
He needs on the wing.... with heavier guys in our bottom 6.... we could someday watch playoff style hockey.

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Kadri - Matthews - Nylander
Kapanen - 6'2 200 - 6'0 185
6'3 215 - 6'4 218 - 6'0 190

Reactions: Koolboss

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
I do wonder if it’s sunk in that he’s now sort of a good, but middle-of-the-road player who will never:

a) Be a team Alpha
b) Earn as much as the guys around him
c) Be treated like a Top 6 player on this team.

I’m hoping he’s more saving all his energy for the playoffs and will go beast mode in playoffs, but I am concerned that he’s decided that grinding it out just isn’t worth it.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I do wonder if it’s sunk in that he’s now sort of a good, but middle-of-the-road player who will never:

a) Be a team Alpha
b) Earn as much as the guys around him
c) Be treated like a Top 6 player on this team.

I’m hoping he’s more saving all his energy for the playoffs and will go beast mode in playoffs, but I am concerned that he’s decided that grinding it out just isn’t worth it.

It does seem like that reality has sunk in a bit, but I'm not sure it had to. Kadri's road map for success has always been as a Brad Marchand type of player or as a poor man's Doug Gilmour, etc We all know what that player looks like. If he's been sitting back as a third line center and not engaging in that role, that's entirely his fault for not making the most of his situation and proving he's indispensable.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
It does seem like that reality has sunk in a bit, but I'm not sure it had to. Kadri's road map for success has always been as a Brad Marchand type of player or as a poor man's Doug Gilmour, etc We all know what that player looks like. If he's been sitting back as a third line center and not engaging in that role, that's entirely his fault for not making the most of his situation and proving he's indispensable.

Yeah, in fairness though, I could see how coming off back-to-back thirty goal seasons and having people view you as a useful but only mildly important third liner would be tough to swallow from an ego perspective.

Hard for anyone in any job when you go from being one of the more important people who gets a lot of attention to being a bit of an afterthought where you’re not set up to have the sort of success you know you could have if you didn’t have guys like JT and AM ahead of you on the depth chart.

I mean I’m sure he wants to win, I think it’s just tough to find the same motivation levels. This is all pure speculation of course, though.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
Just face facts his efforts have been lame. How many times can you miss an open net? He plays #1 bumper role on the PP and is shockingly bad.

Enough with the excuses, he stinks so far!

Hope that he can pick it up in the playoffs we can't afford any laziness from him.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Yeah, in fairness though, I could see how coming off back-to-back thirty goal seasons and having people view you as a useful but only mildly important third liner would be tough to swallow from an ego perspective.

Hard for anyone in any job when you go from being one of the more important people who gets a lot of attention to being a bit of an afterthought where you’re not set up to have the sort of success you know you could have if you didn’t have guys like JT and AM ahead of you on the depth chart.

I mean I’m sure he wants to win, I think it’s just tough to find the same motivation levels. This is all pure speculation of course, though.

Of course it's all speculation, but if we were to buy into the idea that Kadri's personal ego is the cause for his lack of interest and reverting back to his 2015-16 level production, then he's proving that he isn't a gamer and not a great value at his current cap hit.

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
He just doesn’t seem engaged like he has in years past. I think he’s peaked and has overachieved the past 2 years. Maybe he’s better playing with a heavier presence on his wing? Hyman maybe? Hopefully he steps up on the playoffs. If not, he could very well become trade bait

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Muzzin isn't hitting anything anymore either. It's almost like the softness of this team is infectious.
Or.....how about having it coached right out of them? Which would bring me back to another point......

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
If there is one player I give slack to this year, it's Kadri. He has had no continuity, forever changing linemates, his role diminished with JT showing up, it's been a journey for him. He hasn't complained, he's sounded mature and positive, a team guy and he's a proven commodity. I've liked him with Kap and Marleau of late, they've had a lot of zone time and looked good defensively.

I'm not turning on Naz, it's been a frustrating year, but he's still a good player with great edge and heart.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Yeah, we haven't seen the best version of Kadri yet this year. Hopefully he is saving it for revenge against Boston and takes it to another level in the postseason.

If not...assuming Marleau insists on playing next year and with Marner/Kap/Johnsson due raises and with defensive upgrades still needed...you have to wonder if Kadri is done here.

Cynical

Aug 23, 2014
It's time to give Kadri an actual role. Either give him defensive players and make his line the shutdown line with Brown and Hyman, or put Kadri on the Matthews line with Nylander. The third line right now is pretty much accomplishing nothing.

You may as well put Marleau, Johnsson and Kapanen together and hope they develop something.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I don't really mind if his offense dries up, but he has to win his matchups and provide energy with his play. I don't really see that from him

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
I honestly think we should move Kadri to LW. He is proven ineffective as the 3rd line centre. Let him play in the top 6 with Matthews, and Babs should tell him to play physical along the boards every shift.

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Kadri - Matthews - Nylander
Johnsson - Marleau - Kapanen
Ennis - Gauthier - Brown/Moore
what have Kapanen and Johnsson done to you? :popcorn:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad