Speculation: Is Kadri going through the motions this year?

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
The game of hockey is a lot more than just shot placement. Has he had bad luck.... Sure.... Doesn't mean he has played poorly.

Kadri has played better than Nylander has this season... Why would we give up a 4.5 mil center for a lesser 7 mil winger??
Because one is 29 and the other is 23.

Reactions: Menzinger

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
One of the reasons Hyman-Tavares-Marner works so well is Hyman is and excellent skater and gets to pucks in a hurry. That ain't Kadri.

While Kadri will never be confused with an Olympic speed skater, he is a dog on pucks and is good with 50/50 battles. I think his energy level might go up a notch or few if he is given the chance to play top line minutes. The guy is simply too skilled to be wasting away on the 3rd line. i picture what happens when Mitch has 2 options vs just one. If it comes down to Kadri or Hyman as my shooter, the decision is pretty easy for me.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
He was never a great shut-down player. He was an effective pest when playing with Komarov, who was the real shut-down player, as well as being the better pest.

As soon as he got separated from Leo, his game suffered; even more so this year.

He is good at getting open, and putting passes and rebounds in, particularly on the PP. But that's about it.

I see Kapanen as a similar player to Komarov (a bit less pest and shut-down so far, but better speed and hands), so it's possible he can get Kadri's game back on track.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Popular fan misconception, up till last week's GA barrage, the leafs were well within the top ten for GA. They are a good defensive team.

No they aren't.

They've had Vezina level keeping from Andersen, and own the puck on attack quite a bit, but in their own zone they're atrocious.

Their defense is offense, and when it isn't clicking and Andersen isn't stealing they're aren't bad they're dreadful.

Reactions: Al14

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
You don't think Kadri's value is greater with 30 goals than 20 goals. You don't think an energy guy who plays with out energy is less valuable?
That would be my main beef. If the goal production is down....fine IF the energy/pest is still there. It ain't.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
That would be my main beef. If the goal production is down....fine IF the energy/pest is still there. It ain't.

He's still on a decent pace, but he hasn't seemed much like the good Kadri very often this season.

I said this earlier in the season, but it could be he just has nothing to fight for now. He's never going to be a top 6 player/center on the Leafs again.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
The game of hockey is a lot more than just shot placement. Has he had bad luck.... Sure.... Doesn't mean he has played poorly.

Kadri has played better than Nylander has this season... Why would we give up a 4.5 mil center for a lesser 7 mil winger??
Because age, potential, team deficiencies and the GM make it so.
Like it or not, that's just how it is. We can only work with what is.

We need to allocate funds to D and are spending way too much on forwards.
Moving forward:

Top 6
LW(?)...Matthews(11.634)...Nylander(6.9)
Hyman(2.25)...Tavares(11)...Marner(?)

Priority 1. Who do you want to play LW with Matthews/Nylander? And how much will they cost? How much will Marner cost?

Bottom 6 (We currently have 7.45 million in the bottom 6 with Marleau + Kessel).

On D we are losing Gardiner + Hainsey.
Rosen/Sandin/Lily are not top 4.
Dermott is still looking to finish his 1st full year and hasn't played top 4 or top 2 yet.
If you move Zaitsev and one of Rielly/Muzzin/Dermott get injured, we are pooched.

We need an NHL top 4 RHD around the 4 million dollar mark.

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
If there is one player I give slack to this year, it's Kadri. He has had no continuity, forever changing linemates, his role diminished with JT showing up, it's been a journey for him. He hasn't complained, he's sounded mature and positive, a team guy and he's a proven commodity. I've liked him with Kap and Marleau of late, they've had a lot of zone time and looked good defensively.

I'm not turning on Naz, it's been a frustrating year, but he's still a good player with great edge and heart.
He'll be an important player against the Bruins.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
Kadri is probably one of my favourite Leafs... and he's been hot garbage all year. Kadri is the type of guy who needs a defined role from the coaching staff imo.

Reactions: yubbers
Sep 18, 2009
Kadri is probably one of my favourite Leafs... and he's been hot garbage all year. Kadri is the type of guy who needs a defined role from the coaching staff imo.
Reminds me of that time Kulemin has scoring 30 goals and defending like a boss.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
No they aren't.

They've had Vezina level keeping from Andersen, and own the puck on attack quite a bit, but in their own zone they're atrocious.

Their defense is offense, and when it isn't clicking and Andersen isn't stealing they're aren't bad they're dreadful.

We've had a few games of bad hockey. Not something that is pervasive or systemic.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC

7 out of ten posters would gladly do that exchange in a heart beat!

Nylander has outperformed Kadri, it's not even close.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I can understand if his production goes down but he's not even trying. His effort is pathetic and he's not being a pest. I can't remember the last time he hit anyone with authority.

People like to find excuses.

He’s also playing against 3/4th lines.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
– Relative to expectations, Nylander situation aside, the forward who has arguably struggled the most is Nazem Kadri. Here’s his production in comparison to the past few years:
Nazem KadriPoints/60Shots/60Points per Game
2018-192.29.2.58
2017-182.59.5.7
2016-172.810.6.76
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
The production has not exactly fallen off a cliff, but the rub to this is that Kadri’s no longer in the strict matchup shutdown role that he was in previous seasons. That means that in comparison to the seasons before, they are actually creating a line that should be taking advantage of matchups and producing more, yet he is producing less. Kadri is a really good player, but he has not looked himself on a third line that calls for less responsibility and more production.

Toronto Maple Leafs Notebook: What's eating the Leafs in first periods?

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Babs needs to take off his leash. He's not effective when he's not playing chippy. He's a run of the mill 3rd line centre at best with that part of his game missing.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
– Relative to expectations, Nylander situation aside, the forward who has arguably struggled the most is Nazem Kadri. Here’s his production in comparison to the past few years:
Nazem KadriPoints/60Shots/60Points per Game
2018-192.29.2.58
2017-182.59.5.7
2016-172.810.6.76
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
The production has not exactly fallen off a cliff, but the rub to this is that Kadri’s no longer in the strict matchup shutdown role that he was in previous seasons. That means that in comparison to the seasons before, they are actually creating a line that should be taking advantage of matchups and producing more, yet he is producing less. Kadri is a really good player, but he has not looked himself on a third line that calls for less responsibility and more production.

Toronto Maple Leafs Notebook: What's eating the Leafs in first periods?
So much garbage in one post.

People on here complaining that Marleau and Brown are horrible as well as all of Kadri line mates this season minus the one who is having a horrid offensive year and despite that Kadri should be producing more. Kadri out produced Nylander with the same line mates that Nylander had for 9 games of no production when Kadri was out.

Any fan who can watch a game and understand what they are watching have seen Kadri line since he has gotten back up to speed after his concussion can see he is playing more physical again. He is a beast at the dot and takes faceoffs on both sides of the ice.

His possession stats for all the stats lovers show he is having his best year in that regard CF% 60.7 CF % Rel 11.7. He gets no credit for playing a good game. Corsi all stats used

Possession beast Nylander (lol) CF% 56.5 CF%rel 4.7 That is for all the people who think Nylander would be a better center.

Kadri is having a very good year.
Common sense is truly not that common at all.

Last edited:

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Kadri also plays with the top PP unit (undeservedly). Nylander produces better at 5v5
i can agree he should'nt be on the 1st PP. I also agree his game has been lack luster this year. They've both been disappointing. Willy more so however due to the circumstances he created this year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad