Speculation: Is Kadri going through the motions this year?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
For Matthews and Tavares ...
which D are they usually paired with ?

ES

Tavares: 1.Rielly 626:36, 2.Hainsey 508:40, 3.Zaitsev 397:13, 4.Gardiner 363:46, 5.Dermott 188:13, 6.Muzzin 177:31
Matthews: 1.Rielly 425:07, 2.Hainsey 360:00, 3.Zaitsev 327:07, 4.Gardiner 287:27, 5.Dermott 209:22, 6.Muzzin 142:18

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
He looks slow out there to me. He also has a bad habit of overhandling the puck and taking low percentage shots. If he’s not playing with a lot of bite, he is generally ineffective. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him involved in a trade for a RD this summer.

Reactions: Hclass47

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
What is it about Kadri that inspires people to start new pointless threads rehashing the same old **** every week?
I dont know but it looks like nylander is starting to be passed the torch. Has some crazy haters who cant praise him for anything he does, and has some fans who treat him like he is already a superstar player in the league. Kadri has had a decent year all things considered. Him and nylander have probabaly missed the most on prime scoring chances this season. Hopefully the two see their fortunes reverse come round 1.

Reactions: Leafling

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
****ing guy shouldn't have married till his career was finished. He is a junk at this moment, at least he is not overpaid for what he does and most of the 3rd line centers cost almost the same which are about the same value too.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Kadri should ask to be traded, so he could go to a team and become possibly their 2nd line centre, a much better position for him and his career.
In Toronto, he will never become a top 6 player and now if Matthews or Tavares go down, likely Nylander will fill in as the centre replacement.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
I hope he's just saving himself for the playoffs.

Kadri is one player I could honestly never criticize. He's been through it all with this team and is one of the guys who always shows emotion. I'm sure this season has been a roller coaster ride for him but I'm also sure he has another gear he's saving for Boston.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
He looks slow out there to me. He also has a bad habit of overhandling the puck and taking low percentage shots. If he’s not playing with a lot of bite, he is generally ineffective. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him involved in a trade for a RD this summer.

I would be shocked if he was traded.

The leafs management doesn’t strike me as a group that would sell low on assets and lose tremendous value.

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
Kadri is fine. Anyone who didn't think his production would drop off after adding Tavares was poorly mistaken. I like Naz, I've always liked Naz but after signing Tavares I was all for trading him for the best return after scoring 30 goals in back to back seasons because I knew that he would have a hard time replicating that again and it would have been good asset management as far as I'm concerned. Hes been a little unlucky but he's essentially the same player. Not overly explosive but good all over the ice and plays with an edge when it counts. Still like him on this team, brings something it sorely lacks but 30+ goal seasons are not happening moving forward

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
NOT AT ALL!

Kadri is the only player on the Leafs that hits and stirs things up. His role has diminished considerably since Babcock is using Tavares/Matthews to shut down other teams. Great example was last night. Matthews was on Barkov last night. Tavares was opened up to score and that he did.

Kadri would be better suited to play with Kappy and Johnsson.

Marleau is way too soft and passive to be playing regular minutes on this team. The more I see of him the more it becomes clear why the San Jose Sharks were soft and horrible under him as Captain.

Marleau really doesn't contribute to puck possession. He doesnt cause turn overs, he doesn't hit, he doesn't make plays.

Reactions: WilliamNylander

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
NOT AT ALL!

Kadri is the only player on the Leafs that hits and stirs things up. His role has diminished considerably since Babcock is using Tavares/Matthews to shut down other teams. Great example was last night. Matthews was on Barkov last night. Tavares was opened up to score and that he did.

Kadri would be better suited to play with Kappy and Johnsson.

Marleau is way too soft and passive to be playing regular minutes on this team. The more I see of him the more it becomes clear why the San Jose Sharks were soft and horrible under him as Captain.

Marleau really doesn't contribute to puck possession. He doesnt cause turn overs, he doesn't hit, he doesn't make plays.

Kadri hits much less since Komarov was move off his line and then out of the line up.

Leafling

Oct 24, 2015
I finally see the line combo that seemed the most fit for him this year. With kapanen and Marleau on the wing i think this line might be the difference maker come playoff time. Marleau playing the big body and Kapanen's speed n grit should complement his game the most. It's honestly been too long of a stretch for the gates to remain closed for him.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
His value will ultimately be judged in the playoffs this year. Last year's playoffs were an absolute disaster for him, he needs to make up for lost time on this go around.

horner

May 22, 2007
Last yr he played second line center

Iam getting really tired of people saying that Kadri needs a role.

Kadri is a hockey player .
Play the f***ing game the way you can.

His game has slipped this yr.

I think he gets traded in the summer for a right handed dman.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
I would be shocked if he was traded.

The leafs management doesn’t strike me as a group that would sell low on assets and lose tremendous value.
How do you know they would be selling low? He would be a 2C on a lot of teams and might bring back a solid RD. Problem is that he’s not properly slotted as a 3C and is a luxury they can’t afford when there defense is their weakness.

Reactions: WilliamNylander

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
How do you know they would be selling low? He would be a 2C on a lot of teams and might bring back a solid RD. Problem is that he’s not properly slotted as a 3C and is a luxury they can’t afford when there defense is their weakness.

I think if they wanted to trade him they would have moved him in the summer. His value was probably super high coming off two 30 goal seasons, but it feels like his value to other teams is lower right now.

I also think they could do a Phaneuf style pump and dump where they play Kadri with Marner for ~15-20 games and then trade him if they wanted to. But I think Kadri is still really valuable to this team in the next few years if he can carve out a role as a gritty, two-way 3C who can give you offense and physical defense. His salary is not that high for a top tier 3C.

Old and Tired

Mar 11, 2019
Common linemates = Brown, Marleau, Lindholm (lol), and a rusty version of Nylander.

In fact, according to the stats, he spent 10% of the season playing with Lindholm and Brown as his wingers. :laugh:
Rusty Nylander? 49 games of rustproofing with poor, poor results. I do feel for Kadri. Feel in many ways expectation, and identity lost in the shuffle,

ninetyone

Jul 12, 2018
Kadri should ask to be traded, so he could go to a team and become possibly their 2nd line centre, a much better position for him and his career.
In Toronto, he will never become a top 6 player and now if Matthews or Tavares go down, likely Nylander will fill in as the centre replacement.
he's played the same minutes as the prior two seasons, both on the PP and 5on5.

He's just having a bad season.

Grass isn't always greener. Not saying he should remain a Leaf or ask for a trade or whether he should be flipped for a right-shot dman that everyone loves (unless they get someone who's not superb and then more complaints) - but this narrative of "Naz needs a role, Naz in the top six" is kinda nonsense - speaking as an HF poster who should probably be sleeping.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Signing 4 forwards to half the cap was going to cost you other good players.
Welcome to the other good players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad