Is Jacob Markstrom an elite goalie?

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I’m a massive Markstrom fan. I just want to know what the criteria for elite is.
My criteria for elite is: consistently very good as much as possible, massively helping the team to win. Elite players minimize cold streaks and maximize hot streaks. That's consistency.

Since christmas in 2018 or so, Markström has been elite. He's had very few bad games and many very good or excellent games. Now, if he can be considered elite, well, he needs more seasons of this, for that.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Yet you feel the need to start internet fights due to, at worst, oversight? I didnt even say Lundqvist wasnt elite, I just didn't mention him at all. Stop taking things so seriously, just some friendly advice.

Therein lies the issue that have with your post. If you had any real insight to give on the subject, Lundqvist should have been the first goaltender to come to mind. Instead, you omitted him completely. But thanks to a friendly stranger online you now know better and can avoid any unpleasantries like this in the future.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Therein lies the issue that have with your post. If you had any real insight to give on the subject, Lundqvist should have been the first goaltender to come to mind. Instead, you omitted him completely. But thanks to a friendly stranger online you now know better and can avoid any unpleasantries like this in the future.

as i said before, it doesnt even matter and I'm going to continue to not talk about Lundqvist from here on out. dont take imaginary slights against people who don't care about you so seriously dude, you'll live longer without the stress.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Markstrom has been a top goaltender since around Dec/Jan last season, call that elite or whatever. He hasn't done it over many seasons but right now he is winning games and could win playoff rounds. If only there was a better team infront of him.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
in my opinion, elite doesn't need a time frame qualifier

i wouldn't consider him elite, but he's finally becoming a bonafide starter

Reactions: Fixxer

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
I don't think of him as elite.

Anyway, it's cool that he's really established himself as a successful starter. I remember thinking he would be a stud when he came up with Florida.

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada
Who cares about Lundqvist. Shad up. Go marry him. This about Marky Mark.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Super surprised he developed after such a long up and down journey in NA. Either way, he looks like a legit starter. Elite? No.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Heh "anyone who does not share my undefined notion of "Elite" hasn't been watching."

Elite is very often top 10% which in this instance would mean top 3.

Rask is running a 2.11 .930% 21 wins
Bishop is running a 2.38 .924% 18 wins

Then you have a bunch of guys all pretty close including Markstom. I guess quality of chances and team defensemen decide who #3 is. Not sure of the exact stats on those.

Now the pros say:

Ranking the top 25 NHL goaltenders in 2019-20
Doesn't make top 25 at all but it's an early to preseason list

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-starting-goalies-ranked/
That one is midseason and he comes in 9

Now I'm not going to say the hockey writers is the end all and be all but its not crazy at least. I think a lot of teams could claim their guy is number 3 but I think you're pushing it.

Now if you think top 10 is Elite then its hard to argue, he been great this year. Would other GM's think he was "Elite" or would they think he's a good goalie having a great year? Hard to say.

I always liked him though, it's nice that he is finally paying off.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Heh "anyone who does not share my undefined notion of "Elite" hasn't been watching."

Elite is very often top 10% which in this instance would mean top 3.

Rask is running a 2.11 .930% 21 wins
Bishop is running a 2.38 .924% 18 wins

Then you have a bunch of guys all pretty close including Markstom. I guess quality of chances and team defensemen decide who #3 is. Not sure of the exact stats on those.

Now the pros say:

Ranking the top 25 NHL goaltenders in 2019-20
Doesn't make top 25 at all but it's an early to preseason list

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-starting-goalies-ranked/
That one is midseason and he comes in 9

Now I'm not going to say the hockey writers is the end all and be all but its not crazy at least. I think a lot of teams could claim their guy is number 3 but I think you're pushing it.

Now if you think top 10 is Elite then its hard to argue, he been great this year. Would other GM's think he was "Elite" or would they think he's a good goalie having a great year? Hard to say.

I always liked him though, it's nice that he is finally paying off.

Elite is such a loaded word, you're right, and top 5-6 is even generous for a goaltender but Markstrom could be barely hitting that this season but it's over a 13 month span where his team wasn't playing for five months of it.

He's a good NHL starter at this point. Almost any good NHL starter can get hot for a few seasons and be a Vezina candidate before going back to being a solid NHL starter again.

It's hard to call a goalie elite without some seasons of consistent elite play. Even then, they could decline right after! Goalies are a crap shoot almost their entire careers, it seems.

Reactions: BlueBaron

deepthoughtsleafs

Oct 14, 2018
lol really should try to understand what elite means. Elite is about carrying your team for several years, not just a stretch. It has to do with winning, consistency, and just being head and shoulders above the rest. Meaning that at any given time there's probably only 2-3 Goatlenders who can even come close to that definition.

So no, Jacob is not elite, this is an asinine question.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
lol really should try to understand what elite means. Elite is about carrying your team for several years, not just a stretch. It has to do with winning, consistency, and just being head and shoulders above the rest. Meaning that at any given time there's probably only 2-3 Goatlenders who can even come close to that definition.

So no, Jacob is not elite, this is an asinine question.

He has met your criteria the last 2 years for absolutely carrying the team and being remarkably consistent. I’d say he is having a more impressive year than Tuuka Rask, who plays on a consistently strong defensive team - The Canucks defense is mediocre to bad and the amount of chances we give up is head scratching at times. Argument being, goalies numbers tend to inflate on strong defensive teams. We’ve all seen it numerous times (Greiss would be an example).

I think the top goalies vary from year to year / the position changes on a whim for the athletes - so not really sure how it’s asinine to pose the question of whether Markstrom is elite or not. It’s very possible Markstrom is a Vezina finalist and you want to argue on the semantics of the word ‘elite’.
Imagine a top 3 goal scorer and finalist for the Rocket Richard not being considered an elite goal scorer or a finalist for the Hart not being considered a valuable player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad