Is Jacob Markstrom an elite goalie?

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Demko has a better winning percentage than Markstrom. We could easily be in the same position if he'd played in 41 games rather than 18.
Demko is not at Markstoms level at this point. Not even close in my eyes. I don’t think Demko could steal us as many games as markstrom has, at least not yet.

NHL1995

Dec 9, 2019
He's good don't get me wrong but he is not "elite".

Why? He lets out too many rebounds and where he sends those rebounds is awful.

And the way he sometimes handles the puck could be worked on.

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Depends. At the moment? No question.

But we're probably watching him at his peak right now. This might be a solid 2-4 year stretch of quality goaltending from him but I doubt it extends beyond that and so he probably isn't going to be considered an elite goaltender in general conversations.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
If the Canucks finish out the season well enough on the back of his play, I think he legit deserves Vezina or even Hart talk. This team has won at least 5 games this season completely off his back and NOTHING else. Probably half of their wins are at least mostly his too.

Reactions: perronist

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I didn't realize the Canucks have taken such a nose-dive defensively. What the hell happened?

upload_2020-2-13_1-22-57.png

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
I didn't realize the Canucks have taken such a nose-dive defensively. What the hell happened?

View attachment 320109
Hard to say, probably coaching and their system tbh. We've seen this same trend in every single Travis Green season to date. Team absolutely rockets out of the gate and flies for the first month and a half or so and then falls apart into a sad gruel puddle around the all star break. It's just that we have a top 5 quality goaltender that refuses to lose and some elite talent to outscore our problems.

Reactions: mcnucker

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
I was never a Markstrom fan. He's forced me to become one. Our D core gives up horrific chances even when he wins with 20-25 shots often many are highlight worthy. His emergence this year is a bigger factor in the Canucks rise than Q Hughes, or JT miller

Reactions: Slimmy

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market

View attachment 320109

Bad possession players.
Beagle is a black hole, Gaudette and Boeser just didn't click and Eriksson got moved up to the top 6.
Just questionable decisions from the coaching staff. There was a span of games where the Canucks gave up 40+ shots.

There were people in the national media that talked about Green being the coach of the year candidate. The only coach on the Canucks that should even be considered is Ian Clarke their Goaltending coach. Both Demko and Markstrom have been outstanding this year.

If the Canucks squeak in the playoffs this year, it'll be 1 round and done at most. If they get Vegas they are going to get slaughtered.

Next year, if they don't make significant changes, they will not be in a playoff race unless the division sucks again.
But hey, I can freely cheer for them now since I have no option since they traded away their first rounder.

Last edited:
Reactions: perronist

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
Marky is defintely elite. I implore anyone who hasnt had the chance to watch a Canucks game to give it a shot. The defensive system put out by Green is atrocious. The defense personnel is tertiary to a terrible structured defense and a some disaster bottom 6 forwards that kill possession. Marky makes remarkable saves on the daily, it's insane.

The canucks win on the back of their top end talent, not necessarily out outplaying their opponents. Its fascinating.

SurferBroChad

Dec 17, 2018
Victoria BC
I feel he played at a very high level most of last season as well
Yea last season was his coming out party. this year hes proving it wasnt a fluke. most of you will say he isnt elite but who cares. Canucks have an elite goalie and they dont need a bunch of hf boards posters to confirm it

VintageBure

Jun 7, 2018
He's good don't get me wrong but he is not "elite".

Why? He lets out too many rebounds and where he sends those rebounds is awful.

And the way he sometimes handles the puck could be worked on.

He has incredible rebound, I'd say hes one of the best in the league in that regard. What does the video you posted have to do with rebound control? I'd say hes not great at playing the puck..

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Best goalie in the NHL this season. No goalie faces and stops as many high-quality scoring chances as Jacob Markstrom.

Is this a stat you’re quoting, like he has the highest number of high danger scoring chance stops or the highest Save % for high danger chances?

Or this is an eye test comment? Not being a dick just can’t tell whether you’re relaying a fact here or not.

NHL1995

Dec 9, 2019
He has incredible rebound, I'd say hes one of the best in the league in that regard. What does the video you posted have to do with rebound control? I'd say hes not great at playing the puck..

It has nothing to do with rebound control but with his puck handling.

I will admit this, Markstrom is a huge part of the Canucks and is a decent goalie.

nihlify

Jan 20, 2010
Feels like an existential question the way people are answering. ;) He's been playing elite, so does that make him elite? You decide.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad