Is Jacob Markstrom an elite goalie?

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
I'm not sure hes elite but I think hes refined his game to become a surefire starter. I think we all forget he was a blue chip guy coming into the league, not sure what happened in Florida

Zanon

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
Last edited:
Reactions: Goose

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
I don't disagree, which is why I said he's playing like an elite goalie, I just don't really consider goalies to be truly elite if you only get an elite peak for a few years, whereas players like Price, Fleury, Rinne and Luongo play at their peak for a decade.
You name 4 goaltenders out of this decade not named Lundqvist as examples of "longevity". Makes me think you know f*** all about the position in question.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Is this a stat you’re quoting, like he has the highest number of high danger scoring chance stops or the highest Save % for high danger chances?

Or this is an eye test comment? Not being a dick just can’t tell whether you’re relaying a fact here or not.
It depends on what stat-trackers you are going by, and whether you're looking at totals or rates. He plays a lot of games, his totals are going to be higher than goalies that split games or have played less.

wpJUCMY.png

His workload is hard but he's not the only goalie that plays behind bad defense.

marksja90
reimeja88
helleco93
lundqhe82

Last edited:
Reactions: Goose

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
He’s been elite for a year and a half. I think the fact that he took so long to reach his potential and that he even passed through waivers a few years ago is colouring people’s perception of him.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
You name 4 goaltenders out of this decade not named Lundqvist as examples of "longevity". Makes me think you know **** all about the position in question.

relax dude, I just named a few elite goaltenders, Lundqvist is also elite, happy?

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
Well, he always had what it took but never lived up to expectations until now. Until last year his re-bound was bad and he was very static when it came to going from a sitting to standing position. The games i've seen with Vancouver this year feels like a different goalie, the goalie that was drafted with the expectation of being a top-tier goalie in the leauge. Is he Elite? Who knows, what i know is that if he hits UFA after this season he will be a hot ticket.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
relax dude, I just named a few elite goaltenders, Lundqvist is also elite, happy?
He is the epitome of "longevity. Failing to even mention his name when talking about goaltenders of this decade.. are you not even a little embarrassed?

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
He is the epitome of "longevity. Failing to even mention his name when talking about goaltenders of this decade.. are you not even a little embarrassed?

No, I'm not embarrassed because it literally doesn't even matter and it means absolutely nothing. I retract my earlier statement, he's no longer elite, he's now an average goaltender. I'll send a raven to the HHOF, they'll be pleased to learn of not only this update, but of my newfound power.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Not elite, but very good and I'm happy he's salvaged his career considering the potential he always had and the expectations that were placed on him as a prospect.

I reserve the elite label for the goalies who have years of top 5 level performance. Perhaps he can get there, but he is 30 now.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Demko has a better winning percentage than Markstrom. We could easily be in the same position if he'd played in 41 games rather than 18.

Until recently, Demko has had better rebound control - he smothers the puck. Markstrom has been terrible at rebounds which is why he gives up so many shots. However, lately he's learned how to redirect pucks - to the the halfboards, to the corners and even to the blueline corners or where his players are.

He's got 80's style goaltending all over him, plus 90's butterfly style which everyone does now.

His stick handling is amazing. Its like watching the second coming of Kirk McLean. And Demko is like watching the second coming of Steve Weeks who's first job was to stop the puck in the net like a goalie from the 70's.

I just wish Travis Green would stop riding Markstrom so much and give him a rest. He needs to learn to rest him and trust Demko once in a while or he'll burn him out.

This is proof positive once again that Tandems work but coaches and management still can't get that through their thick skulls.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
No, I'm not embarrassed because it literally doesn't even matter and it means absolutely nothing. I retract my earlier statement, he's no longer elite, he's now an average goaltender. I'll send a raven to the HHOF, they'll be pleased to learn of this update.
Failing to mention the most consistent goaltender of this generation, who is a slam dunk HOF inductee, and you speak as if an authority on evaluating goaltenders. You clearly do not have much of value to add to the discussion.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Failing to mention the most consistent goaltender of this generation, who is a slam dunk HOF inductee, and you speak as if an authority on evaluating goaltenders. You clearly do not have much of value to add to the discussion.

stop having a tantrum because I didnt mention Lundqvist. this is a fan hockey message board and nothing matters here. if you're truly that upset just block me already so we can get on with our lives.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Elite needs to be defined and some examples shown? Are there any elite goalies in the league currently? Who are they?

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
stop having a tantrum because I didnt mention Lundqvist. this is a fan hockey message board and nothing matters here. if you're truly that upset just block me already so we can get on with our lives.
I don't feel the need to share my opinion on topics where I have little of value to add. Just some friendly advice.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
I don't feel the need to share my opinion on topics where I have little of value to add. Just some friendly advice.

Yet you feel the need to start internet fights due to, at worst, oversight? I didnt even say Lundqvist wasnt elite, I just didn't mention him at all. Stop taking things so seriously, just some friendly advice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad