Is Jacob Markstrom an elite goalie?

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
I don't think he's got the longevity to be a truly elite goalie, but he's certainly playing like one right now.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
How so? Hes been healthy. Hes a little old, but still in his prime.

I don't disagree, which is why I said he's playing like an elite goalie, I just don't really consider goalies to be truly elite if you only get an elite peak for a few years, whereas players like Price, Fleury, Rinne and Luongo play at their peak for a decade.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I don't know about elite, but I'd say he's outplayed the other goalie more often than not the last year and a half and is usually one of the best players on the ice every game.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I agree he does a good job.

Seriously though, the traditional stats are only ok, but I've seen some people who delve into the more advanced stats have him among the top 5 and some even number 1 when looking at workload and the number of high end chances he faces. They would have more info than me, and I do wonder if it's one of those things where facing a lot of shots might end up inflating your numbers a little at a certain point, but the eye test backs up the idea that he's been very good since November of last season. As a team that had Luongo for years, I don't know if he's been any worse than Lu was outside of '07

Reactions: Zanon

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
He's been really good since about the 2nd half of last year.

Goalies are so volatile though. Who knows how long this lasts.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Everyone is going to have a different measure of what elite is, so tough to measure. I’ll say this, he is one of the best in the nhl this year, no question. He will be in the running for the vezina for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad