Is Jacob Markstrom an elite goalie?

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Heh "anyone who does not share my undefined notion of "Elite" hasn't been watching."

Elite is very often top 10% which in this instance would mean top 3.

Rask is running a 2.11 .930% 21 wins
Bishop is running a 2.38 .924% 18 wins

Then you have a bunch of guys all pretty close including Markstom. I guess quality of chances and team defensemen decide who #3 is. Not sure of the exact stats on those.

Now the pros say:

Ranking the top 25 NHL goaltenders in 2019-20
Doesn't make top 25 at all but it's an early to preseason list

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-starting-goalies-ranked/
That one is midseason and he comes in 9

Now I'm not going to say the hockey writers is the end all and be all but its not crazy at least. I think a lot of teams could claim their guy is number 3 but I think you're pushing it.

Now if you think top 10 is Elite then its hard to argue, he been great this year. Would other GM's think he was "Elite" or would they think he's a good goalie having a great year? Hard to say.

I always liked him though, it's nice that he is finally paying off.
Raw sv% really isn't the best way of evaluating a goalie's individual performance, though. It's almost more of a team stat than it is a goalie one.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
No you don't. Or you have no ability to determine what a good goalie is.
you can watch a billion games but there has literally never been a .918 goalie in the past two decades who you can call "elite" so
pipe down on the hyperbole fan of team which employs said player. Especially a 30 year old player who has managed the aforementioned saves percentage in only 41 game stretch where in the prior 450 plus games as a canuck he managed a very average percentage of .911. so you're telling me that your starting goalie whom you don't have a biased opinion of went from average to elite in a 41 game stretch, while not even delivering elite numbers in those same 41 games? haha. k.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
Raw sv% really isn't the best way of evaluating a goalie's individual performance, though. It's almost more of a team stat than it is a goalie one.
there is no stat, no metric, no amount of hightlight or game watching that would suggest that jacob markstrom is elite. heck i'd be hardpressed to name a single goalie in the nhl that you could deem as 'elite'...let alone jacob fn markstrom.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
NO! He’s definitely not an ELITE goalie yet!

Definitely an underrated goalie though and a very solid one, and definitely starting to live up to some of his hype and potential, which he looked like he’d never come nearly close to reaching prior to 2018-2019.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
He’s a good to great goalie in the league now but not elite.

elite goalies are really hard to name in the last few years to be honest because anyone you name either had a bad year the next year or the year before or in the playoffs etc etc

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
It is a little annoying that we all have to have a big long conversation about what the term "elite" means every 3 or 4 months on this board for about 6 years running. It's tiring to read it over and over again. I'd be thrilled if we could just retire the term.

That said, Markstom is one of the best goalies in the league this year, in terms of how he has given his team a chance to win on nights when the Canucks would have been totally blown out of the water if even an average goalie were between the pipes. It's been pretty breathtaking, and the team hasn't seen goaltending this good since Lu was in his prime ten years ago.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
as i said before, it doesnt even matter and I'm going to continue to not talk about Lundqvist from here on out. dont take imaginary slights against people who don't care about you so seriously dude, you'll live longer without the stress.
You are going to continue ignoring the best goaltender of this generation while at the same time giving your incredibly insightful goaltender analysis. You are impressive, my friend

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
You are going to continue ignoring the best goaltender of this generation while at the same time giving your incredibly insightful goaltender analysis. You are impressive, my friend

As I said, it literally doesn't matter. Have a nice day!

Reactions: Slimmy

perronist

Dec 8, 2008
Marky is defintely elite. I implore anyone who hasnt had the chance to watch a Canucks game to give it a shot. The defensive system put out by Green is atrocious. The defense personnel is tertiary to a terrible structured defense and a some disaster bottom 6 forwards that kill possession. Marky makes remarkable saves on the daily, it's insane.

The canucks win on the back of their top end talent, not necessarily out outplaying their opponents. Its fascinating.

Get pumped every game

Count on Markstrom to bail you out and keep the game close

Get a few lucky bounces and/or a Pettersson rush

Experience Canucks hockey

Markstrom has played at a very high level for this season and the last. He’s the biggest reason for the Canucks getting points

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad