Is it time to move Mike Green? (aka the equally confused thread) x2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
And that would fit with my comments earlier in that thread which stated I didn't see any potential difference in the two as the primary role in that system was to feed simple passes to Ovechkin.
Put me in coach!

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
Nothing to back it up, but I think Laich's groin injuries had more of a negative impact on the PK than anything else.
I know it's difficult to remove all of the other variables and I don't know where to go to find any useful data, but my question centered on Carlson's ES and PK effectiveness before and after being given PP1 minutes. I guess the best data would be Corsi/Fenwick numbers?, but I don't know where to go to break them down by date.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

Darkproducer

Mar 25, 2008
i am not a green hater, but that chart means nothing because he is being compared to the likes of erksine, olesky, strachan...etc. just sayin....

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
#1 offensive d-man on a team is used most in offensive d-man role on that team??

saysomethinginteresting.jpg

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
So they're talking about buying out Green...? Why not just trade him, he'd bring SOMETHING back.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
The shot attempt percentage is interesting. Outside of 09-10 (when it was even) the Caps shot pctg is better with Green than without.

His Corsi was tops on the team this year. (what were Schmidt and Orlov's possession stats without Green as their partner? Not pretty...)

http://www.japersrink.com/2014/1/24/5341120/washington-capitals-on-trading-mike-green

If anything, Green has covered for partners' shortcomings in an important respect. Let's take a closer look at those two players with whom Green has partnered most at five-on-five this season, Orlov and Schmidt. When paired with Green at full and even strength, Orlov has had a Corsi-for percentage of 57.4 percent (meaning almost 58% of the shots on goal, missed or blocked shots at five-on-five have been taken by the Caps when those two were on the ice together). When apart, Orlov's Corsi-for percentage drops to 45.1. Similarly, when Schmidt was paired with Green his Corsi-for percentage was 53.7, but when apart dropped to 48.3.

Here's an article from the 2012 offseason that stresses how valuable he is for possession:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1263700-why-the-washington-capitals-needed-to-re-sign-mike-green-to-make-the-playoffs#articles/1263700-why-the-washington-capitals-needed-to-re-sign-mike-green-to-make-the-playoffs

Article from last year with more stats:

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2014/01/24/no-its-not-time-for-the-washington-capitals-to-trade-mike-green/

Contrary to popular belief his is not a net negative player is what I'm saying.

The Caps will feel his loss unless they get very good value back in a trade.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think GM's know that a player has real trade value isn't going to be bought out. I think GM's would also know that a player was borderline and might be bought out. I also think most GM's have experience with the Canadian media which floats stuff with no reality attached to it at all all the time.

on the other hand, if there is anything to this idea of buying him out, those that say he downright sucks have to be right.

I find this intriguing

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
he actually did in 12-13. it was a short season, but the production was there. he didn't last season because oates wouldn't let him. even with that he was removed from the pp for much of the season, he lead caps defensemen with even strength points. look at the hunter playoffs. he was tied for the team lead in points.

J Leads the Way

May 17, 2010
You're right. We could stick Alzner in Green's role and he'd have similar production.

Its not like as if Mike Green is some prolific goal scorer for his position seeing as how he has led ALL NHL dmen in goals 3 of his 8 years in the league......

but he isnt......

you guys need to stop living in the past.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
but he isnt......

you guys need to stop living in the past.

He led the league in goals by a D the year before this past one.....and did that DESPITE Oates and his not wanting Dmen to carry the puck

Are you basing Green ONLY off of last year?

EDIT: Green had horrible luck last year. His PDO was among the worst on the team. He shot 3.3% below his career average.

He had 172 SOG. He should have easily had another 5 or 6 goals and another 10 assists taking into account his PDO.

70GP should have been 15+39=54 with a +/- of 0

That despite not spending the full year on PP1 and stupid Oates logic.

Last year was an abberation just like it was for Ovechkin and his low assist total and terrible +/-.

We had alot of guys who just were snakebit (outside of Ward)

Last edited:

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
He led the league in goals by a D the year before this past one.....and did that DESPITE Oates and his not wanting Dmen to carry the puck

Are you basing Green ONLY off of last year?

Then he promptly went on to not match that total in double the amount of games. #BlameOates #NoDRushes

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Bad luck? Injuries?

I can't believe that is the basis for your argument.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?ds=34&f1=2013_s&f2=5v5&f5=WSH&c=0+1+3+5+29+30+31+32+33+34

4th worst PDO on the team. Top Corsi player.

Yes. He did get bad luck.

He got kicked off the PP because he was injured. He wasn't given the job back because no one trusted him to stay healthy. Carlson replaced him and we didn't skip a beat. I'm fine with 74 staying there.

You're not wrong

But don't discount Oates. And not just as it pertains to Green....

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
So he needs to stay healthy and have good luck, looks promising for the upcoming year.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
So he needs to stay healthy and have good luck, looks promising for the upcoming year.

He does need to stay healthy and the last 2 years there is reason to be encouraged. The groin issue seems to be in the past now.

As far as luck goes...he doesn't need to have good luck...he just can't have bad luck again...difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad