Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
3873175527_74a36004f7.jpg

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=884997

Last edited:

dles

Jan 27, 2013
Why is there still discussion? He had his moments the last 2 years, but he's playing as well as anyone can at the d position surrounded by people playing horribly. He looks way better this year.. so why would we lose our best defenseman?

tohaa

Apr 23, 2012
taking Green off the powerplay would really help the scoring, he loses the puck/makes terrible decisions every single time

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
There was a time this game when he walked the line super fast at even strength (pretty sure his eventual shot was blocked). That's what I want to see on the PP. Quick, decisive actions, including walking the line and shooting. It's like he overthinks when he has time and space.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
at this point i am not sure what more people want from green. he leads in minutes. he is the only caps defenseman in plus territory. i think he has been on the ice for the fewest goals against of all the d that have played all the games. i think erskine has been on for more now.

he is 6th in scoring. 4th in assists. 2nd in shots.

the only goal he was on for last night was the fluke bank shot off john erskine that was going 20ft wide.

13 games in he is only 2 minor penalties and i wouldnt be shocked to find out that he leads the caps defense in hits.

but lets leave the thread. we will have a place to complain the next time he stubbs his toe.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
taking Green off the powerplay would really help the scoring, he loses the puck/makes terrible decisions every single time

No he doesn't.

Isn't our PP 7 for the last 14 or something like that? He is a big part of the reason why.

The last 2 years he has been oft injured and playing at less than 100%. Our PP has struggled.

He looks much better this year and...SURPRISE..our PP looks good again.

Its not a mere coincidence.

His D has improved by miles too.

dles

Jan 27, 2013
No he doesn't.

Isn't our PP 7 for the last 14 or something like that? He is a big part of the reason why.

The last 2 years he has been oft injured and playing at less than 100%. Our PP has struggled.

He looks much better this year and...SURPRISE..our PP looks good again.

Its not a mere coincidence.

His D has improved by miles too.

At least someone has some sense. Jeesh, caps fans seem to be the most bipolar fans I've ever seen. I know fans are irrational, but he has a kinda bad year cause hes injured and LET'S TRADE HIM. That's what everyone said about Semin.. I miss him, I think he was making HUGE strides to getting better every year and now when he's finally playing smart hockey we let him go to Carolina?! Also he was Ovi's really good friend, and I'm PRETTY sure Ovi was pretty bitter at the beginning of the season about it. Caps fan's and McPhee have such short leashes on players. Even Wideman got a ton of **** that he didn't deserve. He had a few bad raps and everyone thought he was atrocious, sure he's not great but he wasn't the reason we lost the playoffs. Look at Ward, people were on his ass SO BAD and he was INJURED. Look at how he's playing in a system that fits him and when he's healthy.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
At least someone has some sense. Jeesh, caps fans seem to be the most bipolar fans I've ever seen. I know fans are irrational, but he has a kinda bad year cause hes injured and LET'S TRADE HIM. That's what everyone said about Semin.. I miss him, I think he was making HUGE strides to getting better every year and now when he's finally playing smart hockey we let him go to Carolina?! Also he was Ovi's really good friend, and I'm PRETTY sure Ovi was pretty bitter at the beginning of the season about it. Caps fan's and McPhee have such short leashes on players. Even Wideman got a ton of **** that he didn't deserve. He had a few bad raps and everyone thought he was atrocious, sure he's not great but he wasn't the reason we lost the playoffs. Look at Ward, people were on his ass SO BAD and he was INJURED. Look at how he's playing in a system that fits him and when he's healthy.
For a team that was built to limit scoring chances at the expense of all else, Wideman was on for the most GA by far. Considering how close each game ended up being, I'd actually say he contributed the most to the Caps' exit.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
For a team that was built to limit scoring chances at the expense of all else, Wideman was on for the most GA by far. Considering how close each game ended up being, I'd actually say he contributed the most to the Caps' exit.

I voted Sarge, who had the same minus, but in less games.

But our forwards had hands in crucial gaffes too, Beagle lost on a backcheck in OT, and Ward's high stick of course.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
I voted Sarge, who had the same minus, but in less games.

But our forwards had hands in crucial gaffes too, Beagle lost on a backcheck in OT, and Ward's high stick of course.
Also a fine choice, but as difficult as it was to comprehend, I believe the lion's share of those minuses were not due to Schultz. Wideman pinched at terrible times, chased guys behind the net, lost men in coverage, etc., etc., etc. One Schultz can only do so much. :laugh:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
But Wideman had two games at even steven. Dominating. Winning.

Imagine the pressure a guy like Wideman had. Every loose puck, every icing touch, every clear, every break out, every crease clear, there was Sarge glaring at him. That's a lot of pressure.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I would only trade Green if we get a great offer and I don't think that will happen. He has been playing pretty good this year.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
But Wideman had two games at even steven. Dominating. Winning.

Imagine the pressure a guy like Wideman had. Every loose puck, every icing touch, every clear, every break out, every crease clear, there was Sarge glaring at him. That's a lot of pressure.

You never know when you're going to get that fateful text message.

dles

Jan 27, 2013

I'm pretty sure Wideman was brought in to complement Green as an offensive powerhouse type d-line. It didn't work out that way and he didn't play well, I'm just saying the situation Wideman was in would be hard for anyone. All I was trying to say is caps fans are just as bad as New York fans when it comes to drops in production. Oh Ovechkin only scored 38 goals last season?! GET RID OF HIM. I mean comon, he scored at like a 50 goal pace the second half of the season, and he's now under a 3rd coach in 18 months. Everyone needs to chill out. We can have ONE BAD SEASON without needing to burn it down and rebuild everything. We still have a VERY solid core if we don't get rid of anyone. Green, Ovi, Backstrom, Ribeiro (hopefully), Holtby (we can hope), Brouwer. I like the way things are. Given time to adapt to the new coach and click next season, add in Forsberg and Wilson. Then Kuz the year after. I can only see things looking up from here. And if we miss the playoffs this year, get a good draft and then add another key player the year after Kuz. That's constantly improving every year. We don't even need to worry about missing our "window" until Ovi/Green/Backstrom turn like... 33 or 34. Their 25/27, that's 7/8 years away. And most people have their most productive years in their late 20's.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
"Mike Green left Saturday morning's practice after only 15 minutes"

It was only a matter of time. :shakehead

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
How does a GM define injury prone, 50% games lost? Or do they one day just throw up their hands. Or, never give up.

Green could use a class on how to take hits. Watch Carlson and other Dmen, it just doesn't come as naturally to Green.

He gets caught in awkward positions more than any other Caps Dman I can remember. Stevens Langway never took hits like he does, in era of much more brutal hitting.

What will GM do, burn a pick to get yet another RHD at the deadline as insurance for Green?

Koized

Oct 8, 2005
He will always get hit lots and awkwardly because he holds the puck too long at times and is always reaching for the puck instead of taking an extra stride and picking it up in a more conservative fashion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad