Is it time for Lou to get his walking papers

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

All I have to say is thank the lord we won't have to forfeit the 2015 pick cause we would've handed some other team Connor McDavid and that would've been the joke of the century right there.

sbresistor

Jul 25, 2007
All I have to say is thank the lord we won't have to forfeit the 2015 pick cause we would've handed some other team Connor McDavid and that would've been the joke of the century right there.

you are on to Lou's plan - lottery team this year without a pick leads to even worse record next season

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I personally think its time for there to be a shakeup in the organization. I am thankful for everything that Lou has done, but the game has passed him by for the most part.

I think we need a fresh start. that means no more hiring ex players as coaches or whatever.

NHL Fanatik*

I personally think its time for there to be a shakeup in the organization. I am thankful for everything that Lou has done, but the game has passed him by for the most part.

I think we need a fresh start. that means no more hiring ex players as coaches or whatever.

Well it is almost certain if Marty wants a job, he will get one. Goaltending coach? Don't know how he is with teaching.

As for your post, I agree. This team needs a shakeup, and soon, before our trade baits become worthless and our youngsters give up and lose all confidence.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Matteau pick is one of the worst decisions in sports in the last few years. Not only is he ****, but we're most likely forced to lose a top talent.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
The only player I would entertain as a legit coach in the organization would be Elias. He sees the game incredibly well.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I dont really want Marty as goalie coach. His style is so unique that it doesnt really translate to teaching guys.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Matteau pick is one of the worst decisions in sports in the last few years. Not only is he ****, but we're most likely forced to lose a top talent.

But a 2012 pick is worth more then a 2014 pick... that's the noise I've been hearing for the past year and a half wich made sense to close to 90% of our board members.

I think CerebralGenesis and myself were probably the two posters who didn't understand the logic, or the lack of logic should I say, behind that ridiculous statement.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN

I think the most likely shakeup would be a major trade with multiple players coming and going in an attempt to align the talent with the system.

The alternative would be a new coach and new system to fit the team and given their lackluster play and the pain surrounding a mid-season coaching change, I don't think that is as likely.

Something has to change that's for sure.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

But, that's not the point.

The point is that the pick should have been relinquished no matter what.
It's not like Lou said before the draft to his scouts, "we're keeping the pick for Matteau."

Lou foolishly kept the pick and Matteau was simply the best player available at the time when it was their turn.

I think they had their eyes on Andrei Vasilevski, Jordan Schmaltz or Malcolm Subban, but they were selected earlier.

Awful decision by Lou to keep that pick, the reasoning behind it was flawed then and even more flawed now.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
I never defended Lou about the pick, the main board would be filled with threads about that pick and select fans defending him. I tried to rationalize the best I could in my own mind, but it was stupid.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

I think the most likely shakeup would be a major trade with multiple players coming and going in an attempt to align the talent with the system.

The alternative would be a new coach and new system to fit the team and given their lackluster play and the pain surrounding a mid-season coaching change, I don't think that is as likely.

Something has to change that's for sure.

If we bring in players to fit DeBoer's system, we'll have to make another blockbuster in the next year cause I just don't see how Pete can still be our HC when the season will come to a end.

Secondly, hiring a new coach won't change the fact that our roster is built poorly. Like you've mentionned in another thread, at what point do we stop blamming the multiple coaches that has passed by over the last 8 years and start pointing the finger at the person in charge of building a winning team?

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
i dont think we can call Matts "****" yet, but no question the way he handled that pick was a ****show

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
But a 2012 pick is worth more then a 2014 pick... that's the noise I've been hearing for the past year and a half wich made sense to close to 90% of our board members.

I think CerebralGenesis and myself were probably the two posters who didn't understand the logic, or the lack of logic should I say, behind that ridiculous statement.

Too many Lou lemmings who are finally waking up. Lou was a great GM, as in past tense. But the last 4 or 5 years, he has been an unmitigated disaster. And it's ironic that it was Vanderbeek was the one that pushed for Kovlachuk long-term or this team may not have gotten to the SCF. So even there, Lou is exposed.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I never defended Lou about the pick, the main board would be filled with threads about that pick and select fans defending him. I tried to rationalize the best I could in my own mind, but it was stupid.

Likewise. I didn't understand the decision then but I took a more "wait and see" attitude about it. It's looking worse and worse...

Just because you don't loudly complain about something at even chance doesn't mean you agree with it :)

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I didn't like not handing over the pick as soon as it happened. I figured after we got out of the first round in 2012, the pick was as good as gone.

I'm not really high on Matteau either.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I actually still think Matteau 'could' be a good NHL player, which is the only thing that could possibly save Lou from complete embarassment vis-a-vis keeping the pick two years ago assuming the Devils tank the rest of the way this year. Even though there's really no way he could have known WHO he would get at #29, just that the odds are far more against having a top player than they are with a top-five pick.

Too bad Matteau looks more like Patrice Cormier so far than Randy McKay.

Moe Syzlak

Sep 27, 2009
I love Lou but I think he's still considered a great GM if only because of his prior success. I think a lot of people will agree that he's been pretty terrible since the first lockout in 2004. When the best things he's done recently have been fixing mistakes he's made, then maybe it's time to get a new perspective in there.

HolikHoliday16

May 3, 2010
New Jersey
lol at every Devils fan that really wants Lou gone. I think that he made his fare share of questionable decisions, but anyone in his situation [under a microscope] would have there baggage as well. Lou (+Marty) is NJD, NJD is Lou. Maybe its time for a "changing of the guards" in this organization, but not many of us on this board are qualified to make that decision. I am eternally grateful to Lou and trust him over any other hockey mind, regardless of his policy's, draft picks or recent signings.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
lol at every Devils fan that really wants Lou gone. I think that he made his fare share of questionable decisions, but anyone in his situation [under a microscope] would have there baggage as well. Lou (+Marty) is NJD, NJD is Lou. Maybe its time for a "changing of the guards" in this organization, but not many of us on this board are qualified to make that decision. I am eternally grateful to Lou and trust him over any other hockey mind, regardless of his policy's, draft picks or recent signings.

as I said yesterday, this type of thinking is what gets organizations into trouble.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
If 2012 had been a Hunter Shinkaruk type situation I wouldnt be as annoyed. but Matteau is nothing special

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Likewise. I didn't understand the decision then but I took a more "wait and see" attitude about it. It's looking worse and worse...

Just because you don't loudly complain about something at even chance doesn't mean you agree with it :)

Of course not, but the koolaid drinkers are acting as if Lou can't do no wrong. We have to stop living in the past, concentrate on the present and look towards the future.

1- Martin Brodeur shouldn't be your #1 option or given a start every other game if you are serious about making the playoffs.

2- This team has been "patched up" for the past couple of seasons now and it's basically crushing the evolution of our most important prospects.

3- Our blueline has been nothing short of a black hole in terms of our transition game and our lack of success on the PP, ever since we lost Rafalski to free agency. Today's game is all about speed and moving the puck ahead but we don't have any speedy blueliners who can carry the puck, make a crips breakout pass that will lead to odd man rushes or QB a PP. If you take a look at any of the remaining 29 teams, you'll be able to pin point exactly who is QB their PP and who's their legit #1... we on the hand can't.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010

this.

what world do these people live in that everything they want grows on trees?

Not one person here has actually mentioned what moves they would have made differently this offseason - other than the Clowe contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad