Is it time for Lou to get his walking papers

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Actually, that's just as bad. Our second round picks from 2000-2010 include such memorable names as Laine, Suglobov, DeMarchi, Martin (the lone savior on this list), Pohanka, Pihlman, Uchevatov, Kadeykin, Tallackson, Vrana, Frazee, Vasyunov (RIP), Hoeffel, Burlon, Cormier, Gelinas, and Merrill. The last two might end up being good picks, but it's still too early to tell.

I meant more recently like Gelinas, Merrill, Severson and Santini. but yeah

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Still not giving up on this season. Still think this roster is a good one, still not sold that this is Pete's problem either.

But if we do not make the playoffs again, that would be 3 out of 4 years. And while that prob will not get Lou fired(given his full resume and the new ownership) it certainly does put him on the hot seat going into next season.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Drouin has 0 games. terrible prospect.

I said nothing about Drouin. There's no way you could say he was a good pick at this point either. It's just ridiculous to say Lou has drafted well in the second round over players who literally have not played an NHL game.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
For the record I think Lou did the absolute best he could this offseason and was quite pleased. I think this is in our bonehead coach. And if this group fails with another voice then this becomes more if a Lou issue and we can revisit.

Lou was certainly trying that's for sure.

If the first 10 games are any indication it's a good thing he struck out trying to get Weiss too. ( i'd rather have Brunner/Jagr )

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
See, this is funny to me. Burying a team when there is so much time left in the season. At the moment, things are not looking good at all....no doubt about it....but man oh man are you setting yourself up for a carton of eggs in the face if this team is able to turn it around somehow.

This is the oldest team in the NHL. It's not like this a group composed of those 25 years old and under, that is still learning how to win. This is the dismal product the rest of the way, unless the younger players take over. And it's probably going to get worse as the season moves along and the vets further degrade. There are alot of accumulated games on those bodies.

Marv4Life

Mar 5, 2006
Minnesota
I also say that if we fired Lou, 29 club presidents would be picking up their phones to hire him.

So you're telling me team presidents from the Blackhawks, Pens, Kings, Sharks, Bruins, Red Wings, Senators, Canucks, and even improving teams like the Ducks, Montreal, Wild and the Avalanche would quickly ring up a 71 year old GM who hasn't won a Cup in 10 years? C'mon now.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
when marty and patty are gone...and inevitably lou...i'd be down for a total rebuild. yeah i know blah blah oilers, but this model just aint cutting the mustard anymore.

keep our young core, get rid rid of pete for ***** sake, and get rid of everyone else (sans schneider)

NHL Fanatik*

when marty and patty are gone...and inevitably lou...i'd be down for a total rebuild. yeah i know blah blah oilers, but this model just aint cutting the mustard anymore.

keep our young core, get rid rid of pete for ***** sake, and get rid of everyone else (sans schneider)

We're waiting for that? I don't even see why. I mean, hey, if they all retire after this season then sure you won't see me complaining. But what if it takes longer than that, then we're just delaying the inevitable rebuild.

I say start halfway through this season if it's as dismal as this start.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
So you're telling me team presidents from the Blackhawks, Pens, Kings, Sharks, Bruins, Red Wings, Senators, Canucks, and even improving teams like the Ducks, Montreal, Wild and the Avalanche would quickly ring up a 71 year old GM who hasn't won a Cup in 10 years? C'mon now.

Sorry - a bit of hyperbole. I picked 29 because it was 30-1.

Did you get my point? I'm not saying to take a GM job either (although I'd say what -15 would ask him to apply?)

Maybe not the Hawks, maybe not the Pens but Larry Robinson would whisper in someone's ear to ask Lou if he wanted a special 'advisory' position or Dean Lombardi might think his buddy has some good ideas.

Yeah he's near retirement, but don't underestimate the guy's value.

Brick City

Ignore me!
May 21, 2012
New Jersey
...keep our young core, get rid rid of pete for ***** sake, and get rid of everyone else (sans schneider)

We are going to lose Schneider to UFA if the team continues to stink it up for the next two seasons.

Regarding the talk in this thread about the 1st round forfeiture, I think the best (and only) chance for that to disappear was when the new owners bought the team. The new owners completely saved Bettman's rear by taking on the Devils and all the debt involved - they definitely had major leverage to make demands. It would actually matter to them because the forfeiture weakens the team and could very well hurt their all important bottom line.

I'm not sure that the new owners knew enough about the Devils' affairs to address this before the purchase of the team but if Lou informed them in time it may have quietly already happened. If not, I do not see any other way the Devils are avoiding the forfeiture.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
We're waiting for that? I don't even see why. I mean, hey, if they all retire after this season then sure you won't see me complaining. But what if it takes longer than that, then we're just delaying the inevitable rebuild.

I say start halfway through this season if it's as dismal as this start.

rebuilding will likely mean losing, a lot. patty and marty shouldnt be around that (although i guess they could be). this should be a LOT of rookies, 3-4 amazing draft picks over the next 5 years, and go from there

CKPLAYA

Ping Pong Ball Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2009
Parts Unknown
Sorry - a bit of hyperbole. I picked 29 because it was 30-1.

Did you get my point? I'm not saying to take a GM job either (although I'd say what -15 would ask him to apply?)

Maybe not the Hawks, maybe not the Pens but Larry Robinson would whisper in someone's ear to ask Lou if he wanted a special 'advisory' position or Dean Lombardi might think his buddy has some good ideas.

Yeah he's near retirement, but don't underestimate the guy's value.

Robinson is not doing Lou any favors. It didn't end well.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
We are going to lose Schneider to UFA if the team continues to stink it up for the next two seasons.

if we do, we do. draft a couple of 6'8 monster goalies (a la the rangers backup) and go with wedgewod and a giant. whatever. with the right system, the goalie we use wont be that important

CKPLAYA

Ping Pong Ball Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2009
Parts Unknown
rebuilding will likely mean losing, a lot. patty and marty shouldnt be around that (although i guess they could be). this should be a LOT of rookies, 3-4 amazing draft picks over the next 5 years, and go from there

3-4 amazing draft picks over the next five years will not happen under the current regime.

theking72

Confucius Ackbar
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
NJ

Maybe Schneider should work harder on stopping pucks from the blue line and not worry about what will happen when he is UFA

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA

All due respect, when bring up teams like minny or the avs, u must consider that these teams have been drafting high for the last several years. You can't suck for several years and turn decent and mark that up to having a good GM. Edmonton being the exception and an anomaly.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

I hope to see Lou and Marty retire this summer.

If Brodeur is willing to act as a backup, then he can stay but if he thinks he's here to fight for the #1 job, he can sign elsewhere or just retire. He's been THE best goaltender for the past two decades but he's no more then a "ok" backup as we speak.

Regarding Lou, the man just has to go. He's dead set on "rebuilding on the fly" and his band-aid signing aren't getting us anywhere. Screw all that noise and the multiple signings of misfits left and right, wich isn't doing us any good ATM and it's basically saying to our rookies that they'll have to wait yet another year cause we'd rather dress Olesz, Barch, etc... over promising young and upcoming players. We had a surplus of blueliners last year and we can all agree that it turned out as a massive nightmare. What does our Gm do during the offseason... Give our HC a surplus of forwards :facepalm:

Despite having a coaching caroussel over the past 8 years, our PP has been hot garbage despite the fact that we probably had a different "setup" from coach to coach. Yet, with different ideas coming from all our head coaches, we still managed to ice one of the worst PP in that time frame. Who's to blame here... the 6 or 7 different coaches or the same personnel that was given to those same coaches? I'd go with option B and it's pretty obvious to see as well. We haven't had a solid blueliner with a sniff of offense and creativity to his game since forever and no Zidlicky doesn't count cause yes, he does have a legit shot but isn't a PP Qb IMO. He doesn't lead the charge and doesn't take control. He'll shoot if he has a open lane but doesn't create anything on his own.

The reason we're in this mess ATM is mostly because our blueline is built to play prior to the lockout. If you can't play as a 5 men unit in all 3 zones, you're bound to struggle and that's exactly what we can't do.

Lou will leave this team bone dry, mark my words. We don't have a 1st this year (probably top #5 pick), I don't see Schneider resigning, Elias isn't getting any younger, our rookies are getting a raw deal and aren't living up to expectations and we have one of the oldest rosters out there.

The future just looks horrible for this once proud franchise.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
The refusal to rebuild is going to force another GM to just rebuild anyway. Putting it off longer will just extend the process. There is only one team that hasn't had to deal with dramatic down years in the last 20 or so, and that's the red wings. The Devils are not the Red Wings. The team didn't fall off the cliff like Dallas and Colorado, but it's gotten to the point where this patch up line up is not cutting it anymore.

Maybe the blows of Stevens & Niedermayer leaving back to back were easier to deal w/considering Elias & Brodeur were still playing well, and then you had rookies like Parise, Martin & Zajac coming up. But losing parise & Kovalchuk back to back looks to be too much of a daunting task to deal with at this juncture, and that's understandable. The solution just may not be pleasant for a few years here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->