Speculation: Is it time for Holland to step down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jyrgen

Oct 10, 2005
Over heard that players don't wanna sign for Wings due to Babcock .. and that should have played a major part for Wings missing out of some bigger UFA signings the last few years.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Over heard that players don't wanna sign for Wings due to Babcock .. and that should have played a major part for Wings missing out of some bigger UFA signings the last few years.

Overheard from whom?

The Geelee

Jul 27, 2013
That's the offer I remember getting all of the talk around that trade. I find it odd that the Nyquist/Tatar idea came up a year later, instead of at the time of the trade. It seems like something that didn't have any legs at the time, was shot down by either GM in a hurry for whatever reason, and only surfaced again because Nyquist started scoring like a machine.

While Nyquist+Tatar wasn't mentioned at the time, It was said that "DET had a way BETTER offer for Bouwmeester"

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1399097&highlight=det

Next year, Bob McKenzie (one of the most reliable sources in hockey) comes out and says it was Nyquist+Tatar for Bouwmeester, which I would classify as a way better offer

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1647885&highlight=detroit

Had Feaster not been a moron, this team would be screwed out of two young top 6 forwards because of Holland's idiocy. In two years time Nyquist, Tatar and Jarnkrok would be out the door in return for Legwand and Bouwmeester :help::help::help:
I'm inclined to believe our GM is a moron who doesn't understand how to properly manage his assets

Jyrgen

Oct 10, 2005
Overheard from whom?

without details, from an agent.

also this year players backed away from Wings which in turn influenced others to move to other organizations.

Negative spiral with rumor saying the organization is heading nowhere...

is it possible that Babcock has a bad rap or is being disliked? I understood it to be more on a person to person level and lack of development and not coaching style or system. Wings play an attractive possesion game so thats perfectly understandable.

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
While Nyquist+Tatar wasn't mentioned at the time, It was said that "DET had a way BETTER offer for Bouwmeester"

Next year, Bob McKenzie (one of the most reliable sources in hockey) comes out and says it was Nyquist+Tatar for Bouwmeester, which I would classify as a way better offer

Had Feaster not been a moron, this team would be screwed out of two young top 6 forwards because of Holland's idiocy. In two years time Nyquist, Tatar and Jarnkrok would be out the door in return for Legwand and Bouwmeester :help::help::help:
I'm inclined to believe our GM is a moron who doesn't understand how to properly manage his assets
The outrage over this rumored trade offer just proves that Holland can't win. Unless he lands a top 4 d-man by trading Kindl and a 2nd he is going to get massive amount of criticism no matter what. He's either too conservative to pull the trigger on something, or he massively overpays (which is a funny opinion considering the Nyquist+Tatar offer was refused).

Had that trade gone through it could have changed a lot of factors, possibly for worse but maybe for the better. Maybe having a better defensive group helps us attract more FAs and we manage to cope without Nyquist and Tats. Heck, right now everyone is offering Tatar in every single trade proposal so it's not like Wings fans think he's important for us.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
I think Calgary was too hung up on getting a first in that deal because they wanted to try and package and move up, they did get their first but failed to move us.

"for Bouwmeester or another player"

I'm guessing Giordono. It would have been more interesting if it was Iggy plus one of those D men for Tatar+Nyquist+1st

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

In the first thread you link to the deal rumored five pages in was Sheahan, Jurco, and a 2nd from an interview with McGuirre and McKenzie.

Believe whatever you want, and I'm not sure how much worse/better a deal involving Sheahan/Jurco would be. Considering either deal was turned down by Feaster, and that we can't seem to get a deal done for anyone when trying to trade our prospects, maybe it reflects how the league values our guys just as much as it reflects Holland's evaluations of them.

dtones520

Jun 10, 2008
Midland, MI
without details, from an agent.

also this year players backed away from Wings which in turn influenced others to move to other organizations.

Negative spiral with rumor saying the organization is heading nowhere...

is it possible that Babcock has a bad rap or is being disliked? I understood it to be more on a person to person level and lack of development and not coaching style or system. Wings play an attractive possesion game so thats perfectly understandable.

Sorry, but without details anyone can say they heard anything.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Sorry, but without details anyone can say they heard anything.

The exact same lies you hear him say every off-season.

Parity
Cleary is a leader in the locker room
Talks about youth movement and how much he is pushing for it.

I can't believe i am going to have to spend another year complaining about the exact same things.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He kind of pointed out that Cleary was signed for a leadership role. "We need people who can speak and lead with an example, on and off the ice."

Hopefully he means more off the ice, than on the ice.

dtones520

Jun 10, 2008
Midland, MI
The exact same lies you hear him say every off-season.

Parity
Cleary is a leader in the locker room
Talks about youth movement and how much he is pushing for it

I was quoting the guy who posted that he overheard that Babcock was the reason that FAs weren't signing eith us and when asked how he heard it he said "without details, from an agent"

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Q: what have you been doing the past couple of weeks:
kenny: fill out the coaching staff, close to a hiring couple of people, once the players (only dekeyser) are signed, and coaches are hired, we'll see what the next 6-7 weeks will bring.

Q: how busy have you been on trade front, trying to find RH dman?
kenny: it's pretty slow since middle of july, rosters are mostly set. we targeted 4-5 players on july 1st. likes the G. needs weiss, helm and co healthy, young players need to develop. feels good about what they have up front. we have 7 NHL dman (lol @ kindl and lashoff being NHL dman and if lashoff is one, we have 10 at least), unfortunately all shoot left. would like to add RH D. hot commodity, other teams try that too.

said they are anxious to see what sproul can do in pre-season. mentions marchenko, ouellet too.

Q: can you pin-point why didn't you land anyone july 1st? (props for dery on thinking quincey is nobody)
kenny: 'our needs were specific, RH dman who can generate points, attack and play on the pp'. not a lot of guys like that out there, so many teams going after those few guys. other than 35-goal scorer upfront, we're fine at F. last year we landed our guys (doesn't mention weiss, lol), this year we didn't. that's the new world.

mentions the importance of drafting and developing. says they will give young players opportunity (yeah, right). after they missed out on their people, no need to sign someone who they already have in system and is cheaper and younger.

Q: did any of the big UFA not come here cus the coach has only 1 yr left on his deal?
kenny: .... no (chuckles). other teams have that situation too. 30 teams in the league. everybody was in the game this year (not true btw). says that if some say that players don't want to sign 6-7 year deal bc the coach has 1 yr left, they are just making stuff up. lots of reasons why players don't sign in some place, might be money, term, GF/wife, geography.

Q: what about dan cleary, was there made a promise back last year to bring him back this year, too?
kenny: ..... cleary had number of 3 yr contract offers, chose not to sign them. kenny says he talked to the leadership group of the team, the coach all wanted him back. (kenny also mentions how well he played in playoffs what i don't get at all) one of the few vocal people in locker room, doesn't have a letter, but in the eyes of his teammates he is not far off having one.

unfortunately cleary had tough year, mostly due to injury (i wonder how no one saw that coming!!!).

says he had conversations last year with cleary beyond 13-14 season. kenny says his management philosophy is 'my word is my bond'. says he would try to fill what they discussed, when you're good people, work hard and want to be in detroit..

OMG what a load of crap.

Q: how much will the new arena help?
kenny: will help the city a lot, doesn't think it will help attract FA's, rink, coach and manager hasn't lost them FAs. it's a level playing field, everybody is in the game.

were decimated by injuries last year, cautiously optimistic that player health will make them good enough to compete with the best teams in the east.

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Good interview. Sounds like Ryan Sproul is #1 in terms of the defensive prospects chances of making the team.

Actual Thought*

Good interview. Sounds like Ryan Sproul is #1 in terms of the defensive prospects chances of making the team.
If this team is at all healthy they are gonna win a lot of games. I like the direction they are moving.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
if you think jaybo is a true #1 dman who can put up consistent 40 plus pt seasons your kidding yourself

if you realize he is a great #2 dman who can safely and effectively play 25 plus mins a night in all three zones during any part of the game, skate and move the puck incredibly well and put up 30ish pts then you will be beyond pleased.

we needed him

we missed on getting him

we will miss not having him or equivalent every second of every day untill such time as we find a guy like him

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
if you think jaybo is a true #1 dman who can put up consistent 40 plus pt seasons your kidding yourself

if you realize he is a great #2 dman who can safely and effectively play 25 plus mins a night in all three zones during any part of the game, skate and move the puck incredibly well and put up 30ish pts then you will be beyond pleased.

we needed him

we missed on getting him

we will miss not having him or equivalent every second of every day untill such time as we find a guy like him
Who was arguing he is a true #1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille