Speculation: Is it time for Holland to step down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
This isnt a "is it time to fire holland" poll but rather do we as fans think its time for Holland to move elsewhere within the organization, perhaps in a role like Shanahan inorder to get some new blood and some new ways of thinking/managing.

Last edited by a moderator:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Problem is your two best replacements, Nill and Yzerman, are long gone.

Who within the organization do you choose to replace him with? Devellano? Honest question.

crashman

Who within the organization do you choose to replace him with? Devellano? Honest question.

I think you wait until Nill's or Yzerman's contracts expire TRY to hire them. There's no one within our organization that's qualified to be a GM anymore, including Holland. ;)

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

really good question and I dont know

I dont know for sure that if babcock told us today he wants out that we could immediately fill the hole left by MIKE BABCOCK but i do believe we would still be ok

I am sure their are asst GM's out there who will be good NHL GM's one day and we would be like any team, the canucks for instance, that would have to go looking

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

that is indeed the problem,there aren't really any good options anymore

I said it when he left and for years before he left but the Wings were idiots to let Nill get away

not that any of this matters anyways in the real world with Holland's job security

he's probably gonna be around for another decade options or not

CanadaIsIrrelevant

Mar 20, 2011
Sweden
Detroit needs a shakedown or whatever you call it.
New fresh blood in management. I don't believe in Ken Holland anymore. Babcock is still good.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
What about our assistant GM now Ryan Martin. I dont know much about him but from reading the team page hes more of a business guy.

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru
In retrospect, I'm amazed that Igor Larionov didn't end up with a much larger role with the Wings; every time I see him around the Draft, I can't help but think that he would likely make for a very good GM.

davecrockburn

Jun 8, 2011
Holland has to realize that you have to overpay to get your guy in FA and you can't just expect bargains happen. It may take a few overpayments to get your team to a point where it is competitive enough for FA to take a discount to play there for a chance to win. FA's and even the fans can see how stale this team is getting and I'm not surprised that nobody wants to come here.

You have to think Babcock will be out the door soon with the way Holland is managing things. Babs has been quietly displeased with the talent he has been provided with in the past - I remember him being upset after Burns was traded to the Sharks for peanuts. I think the main reason Babs didn't renew his contract yet was because he wanted to see how Holland handled this offseason first and if it was more of the same he would just move on.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Do I think it's time? Yes. Do the people that matter think it's time? No.

What I do find interesting is that Nill and Yzerman haven't followed the Holland mould entirely. Yzerman just cleaned a bunch of fat from his roster, had no problem shipping off Conacher for Bishop right after Cory had a breakout year, and got solid value for MSL. Nill has made 2 big trades in consecutive years.

Now, are they in different positions than Holland with respect to their organizations? In the past, definitely. But now? I'm not so sure. Now is the time for Holland to get creative or move outside his comfort zone and yet here he is pulling the same old moves. Both clubs are getting creative so that they may progress; Holland has watched his club decline and stagnate at best.

All this makes me wonder why it is that Hollands two protégés have been so bold. Obviously there's plenty to learn from Holland, but they've surpassed him at least in ingenuity, which IMO, is one of the most important virtues in the cap world. They don't have the resume that Holland does, but will anyone ever have a resume like that in the cap world again? Probably not. Part of me wonders if Holland is surrounded by a substantial number of yes men or whether he even considers bold, roster-altering moves that might be suggested to him.

Either way, Holland is stale in today's world.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Would love to see someone else step into the GM position while Holland takes on another role. Holland has the hockey mind, but seems inept to do what's necessary in order to bring this ship forward. Anyone can identify FA talent like Suter, Boyle and try to sign them, but beyond the obvious you gotta have more imagination. He used to be ahead of the pack, now he's lagging behind. He's built up a good farm that will help team depth for years to come, so now would be a good time to move on.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
It's just so disappointing because I feel that if they got a couple good pieces that could have had a legitimate shot at a deep playoff run with good health. We're wasting the last elite years of Datsyuk and Zetterberg and to a lesser extent, Kronwall.

Long time before the playoffs though. We could still potentially make a trade for a top defenseman. I'm no longer very optimistic though.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
It's just so disappointing because I feel that if they got a couple good pieces that could have had a legitimate shot at a deep playoff run with good health. We're wasting the last elite years of Datsyuk and Zetterberg and to a lesser extent, Kronwall.

Long time before the playoffs though. We could still potentially make a trade for a top defenseman. I'm no longer very optimistic though.

A deadline conversation between Holland and an anonymous GM:

GM: Hello Kenny, how's the family?

Ken: Good, how's yours?

GM: Good, so what can I do for you?

Ken: Well I am interested in your top defenseman, and am willing to make a trade.

GM: Sounds great, we have to start with asking for Tatar or Nyquist.

Ken: No roster players, sorry.

GM: Okay, we can work this out, how about Mantha or Sproul?

Ken: No prospects either.

GM: Well 2015 will be a deep draft, how about your 1st rounder?

Ken: I won't trade my first rounder.

*Click*

Ken: Hello?

--15 minutes after a panicked call to Colorado. A press conference--

Ken: We really like what Stuart brings to the team, he knows our system and we feel that in this market Nyquist, Mantha and a 1st is a fair deal for a top D-man!

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I think you wait until Nill's or Yzerman's contracts expire TRY to hire them. There's no one within our organization that's qualified to be a GM anymore, including Holland. ;)
Thing is, nobody is going to want to be in Holland's shadow. Plus, those two will have competitive teams to stay with. Detroit will be a lesser option.

I have no idea why people think Nill or Yzerman will just drop everything for Detroit.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

yup.

i'm not sure if holland has it anymore but with his track record, he could go through couple of rebuilds and still have a job. he's not going to get fired. there is no realistic option to replace him. do we even know what martin does and is good at? manage the cap?

the most realistic solution is that he finds a new smart hockey mind (or maybe he's already in organization) and he steps up or down or whatever to devellano's role. something that maybe should have happened last year with nill stepping up.

looks like lidström leaving hurt a lot more than thought it would. not just on-ice but every decision they make doesn't suddenly turn out to so smart anymore. elite teams can afford screw ups, just good teams.. not so much.

i don't blame him as much from decline as that was bound to happen with euro twins getting old and lidström retiring. it's hard or almost impossible to replace them these days drafting at 15-20. it's more of the mistakes and what kind they are. they mistakes that no one even on this board would make.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Thing is, nobody is going to want to be in Holland's shadow. Plus, those two will have competitive teams to stay with. Detroit will be a lesser option.

I have no idea why people think Nill or Yzerman will just drop everything for Detroit.

agreed. they aren't leaving their teams for a while. they are now doing the work or are just finishing what will be ahead for detroit. don't see them going through that again when their current team could contend for the cup the next 5+ years.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Isn't Ray Shero looking for a job still?

I really like what he did in Pitt personally. I'd take him over Holland in a heartbeat.

He is far more creative and assertive IMO.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
If we still had Nill/Yzerman, I would be more on board, but at this point I'm not.

He's still decent at a couple of aspects of being a GM. Namely drafting and signing RFAs huehuehue. It's sad that his infinite patience in developing prospects doesn't seem to extend to the FA period.

I'm ambivalent. I certainly wouldn't be upset if he got replaced, but I'm not riding that train yet. I will loudly complain about his poor decisions though.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia

I really like what he did in Pitt personally. I'd take him over Holland in a heartbeat.

Stop. That's not funny. He stripped all the depth that that team had.

Yes, Holland should have been gone last year and replaced with Nill, but I know Bench doesn't really quite agree with that. That said, I'm all for new eyes and ears within this organization. (And not someone like Ray Shero)

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
If we still had Nill/Yzerman, I would be more on board, but at this point I'm not.

He's still decent at a couple of aspects of being a GM. Namely drafting and signing RFAs huehuehue. It's sad that his infinite patience in developing prospects doesn't seem to extend to the FA period.

I'm ambivalent. I certainly wouldn't be upset if he got replaced, but I'm not riding that train yet. I will loudly complain about his poor decisions though.

It's like staying with a partner because you're worried you can't do better, but your partner is extremely complacent. Just because we lost Yzerman and Nill, doesn't mean that we shouldn't remove Holland still.

crashman

I don't think they would either, it's just the only thing I can come up with. Not a good situation.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

Ew. When is the last time he did anything worthwhile as a GM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->