Is It Time for a Norris Trophy AND a "Best Offensive Defenseman Trophy"?

evermix*

Habs fan just mad that Subban not in same league as Karlsson either offensively or defensively.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
You know what I was thinking to myself earlier? I was thinking we needed another thread for people to continue the Karlsson v. Subban debate.

How about we keep it on topic instead of rehashing the same old thing over again?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I can't help but imagine the lazy posters shortening the names to being the best DD and best OD awards. :(

Knotty Moog

May 12, 2012
Los Angeles
Subban is like a Michael Bay film. They are fun to look at, but in the end you are left feeling oddly unimpressed.

Im half kidding... Hes good. Still hope he never wins anything ever again while wearing that sweater though. But isn't that what being a fan of a rival is all about?

TheTwelfth

Jan 6, 2014
The Tardis
Sweden can go suck it though! Lidstrom, Slaming and now Karlsson!!! :rant:

And Hedman, and Ekman Larsson, and Lindholm, and Brodin ;)

Fun fact, OEL has broken Salming's record for most points in a WHC by a Swedish defender just during the group stage this year.

Anyway, Määttä looks like a stud, and Ristolainen is already a Sweden killer, so hopefully we have some awesome rivalries on the blue line in the near future.

As for the topic at hand, it is just stupid. Having an offensive D award would just make a lot of players like Karlsson and Subban double dip on both trophies, and having a defensive D award would only create another reputation award like the Selke, where the true winner is "best defensive defender which is also good at offence". The current system is fine.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Subban is excellent defensively. Karlsson is significantly better at controlling the puck than anyone at his position. Haivng the puck > defense.

I see no problem with them being nominated. This site does nothing but cry about how low-scoring the game is and then it has this witch hunt against defensemen who score. It's bizarre.

Thank you. And that's why they get nominated. A shotblocker or a positional player who can't make an breakout pass (and hence getting points) is not good defensively. They keep the puck in their zone or unimaginatively ice it waiting for the next attack. That is not good defense.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
It's time for the Norris and an "I suck at offence but I'm good at the less skilled defensive side" award.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
The Norris trophy should be voted on by the players on who the best player is at playing defense, meaning the player that is hardest to beat, best in the corners and the toughest in the crease and the best blocker etc.

The Norris is somewhat a joke, if they want a defensive d man award I'm all for it. Karlsson is a great player and probably the best offensive dman in the league, and Subban is good too. Now Sens and Habs fans can take that with them and we can actually discuss a trophy that goes to D-men who are the best at defending which is what the trophy should be about in the first place.

Points should go out the window entirely, its about playing defense.

Mhm, because Paul Coffey and his 3 Norris's TWO DECADES AGO was really known for his defensive prowess...

This whole "offensive D winning the trophy" thing is nothing new, I don't see how people can say it's "becoming a joke".

Last edited:

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
No it isn't....

I think it's fairly clear that it is. Norris voters look at Karlsson's speed, passing and his ability to take the puck from players in the defensive zone and move it up the ice at breakneck speed, producing scoring chances for his team.

It's the new style of 'the less time you spend in the defensive zone, the better' and Karlsson's the king of the league in going from point A to point B.

It's not always about knocking a guy into the next century with massive bodychecks, nor is it always about shot blocking, nor is it always about crease-clearing. What Karlsson does has absolutely revolutionized playing defence in this era.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but I don't think I can be. Puck possession rules now, Norris voters see it, they see his ability to breakout of his own zone, they see his elite speed and vision and that's why he's already won one Norris and is poised to win another.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
lol, right. Subban has won a Norris and been a finalist in a shorter period of time. He's clearly revolutionizing the position as well! :laugh:

Except he's not as good as Karlsson. That's a huge problem when making a funny like that.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Says you. I say otherwise, so there's that.

duty_calls.png

:sarcasm:

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
We don't live in should-land. The Norris is awarded to the best defenseman. That is the criteria of the award. Of course, a defenseman should inherently be good at defense, but trying to say that points mean nothing is batty. The best defenseman is the total package, the best offensively and defensively. No GM in their right mind would pick a player like Rod Langway over a player like Erik Karlsson. None. Which is why turning the Norris into "best defensive defenseman" would be ****

Thank you. It's really pretty simple, so I don't know why people want to complicate things:

The question is: who was the best overall player who played the position of defense in the past year?

That is your Norris winner.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
It it what it is, Habs fans think Subban's better, Sens fans think Karlsson's better. I doubt anyone wants to hear the old Subban vs Karlsson argument again.

Not particularly, it's been done too many times. I would just be happy with people debating their player without having to take an ice pick to other to try and make theirs sound better.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
And yah, let's reward guys who are good at suffocating the game! In this offensively starved era, we need to celebrate those who play with the puck.

Jerk Store*

Grow up. Wether you're tired of it or not, these guys are the best d-men in the league.

Do you also want a trophy for the guy that scores the most points not named Ovechkin Crosby Malkin Stamkos etc?

:shakehead

Deal with it and move on with your life.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad