Is It Time for a Norris Trophy AND a "Best Offensive Defenseman Trophy"?

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
:facepalm:

Arrogant much?

First of all, Karlsson has led the D in scoring for three times. Second of all, he won't be playing forever. Should we just get rid of the Art Ross too, since Crosby will win it 80% of the time if he is not injured? :laugh:

[MOD]

It's not a stupid post. He's won the D scoring race his last 3 healthy seasons in a row :laugh: for once we have a right to be boastful about our kid being one of the best in the league, and a trophy shouldn't be made up just for a D scoring title.

He's just entering his prime. I expect EK to win the D scoring title many more seasons.

Last edited by a moderator:

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
How so? He's won the D scoring race his last 3 healthy seasons in a row :laugh: for once we have a right to be boastful about our kid being one of the best in the league, and a trophy shouldn't be made up just for a D scoring title.

You are exaggerating how much effect one guy would have on this. Karlsson will be leading the D in scoring (or at least fight for it) many times more. If he can stay healthy. But it has nothing to do with the idea of implementing a new award for the best offensive D.

Cause let's face it. If the NHL decides to put that award in to place (which I hope they don't) there are only limited years where Karlsson would win it. He's just one player. Nobody cares if he dominates that trophy for few years. Dude is going to retire and the NHL will continue on. Trying to act like Erik Karlsson is the reason for this trophy and that there is no point in making that award since he would always win it is so absurd and arrogant that I don't know what to tell you.

Should the NHL stop giving trophy for the leading goal-scorer since Ovechkin wins it if not injured 80% of the time?

If you can't see the arrogance in that line of thinking, I don't know what to tell you.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
You are exaggerating how much effect one guy would have on this. Karlsson will be leading the D in scoring (or at least fight for it) many times more. If he can stay healthy. But it has nothing to do with the idea of implementing a new award for the best offensive D.

Cause let's face it. If the NHL decides to put that award in to place (which I hope they don't) there are only limited years where Karlsson would win it. He's just one player. Nobody cares if he dominates that trophy for few years. Dude is going to retire and the NHL will continue on. Trying to act like Erik Karlsson is the reason for this trophy and that there is no point in making that award since he would always win it is so absurd and arrogant that I don't know what to tell you.

Should the NHL stop giving trophy for the leading goal-scorer since Ovechkin wins it if not injured 80% of the time?

If you can't see the arrogance in that line of thinking, I don't know what to tell you.

But he IS the reason for the proposed trophy. And Subban of course. Just read the OP, it's right there in the FIRST sentence. "I'm tired of Subban and Karlsson winning the Norris."

It's salty posters mad that leading point scorers on D are winning the award. And who has the most points more often than not? Erik Karlsson. See my line of thinking?

And sure, I'm confident Erik will be a dominant force in the league for the next 10 years. Especially a leader in D points. If you think that's arrogance, then so be it.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
But he IS the reason for the trophy. And Subban of course. Just read the OP, it's right there in the FIRST sentence. "I'm tired of Subban and Karlsson winning the Norris."

It's salty posters mad that leading point scorers on D are winning the award. And who his the most points more often than not? Erik Karlsson. See my line of thinking?

I see the line of thinking and I don't agree on the idea the OP presents. But if this award would be put in place, it would have nothing to do with the possibility of Karlsson dominating that award for few years.

The NHL is 97 years old. It has been on place for years before Karlsson and will continue to be on place for years after him. One player, no matter how great that one player is, will never have as meaningful impact on the NHL as the poster suggested. If the NHL want's to create a trophy for the highest scoring D, it will have nothing to do with Karlsson. Absolutely nothing.

Erik is still a great player and he is on his way to put a big mark on the NHL. Good for him and good for Sens fans (and for those pesky Swedes I guess).

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I see the line of thinking and I don't agree on the idea the OP presents. But if this award would be put in place, it would have nothing to do with the possibility of Karlsson dominating that award for few years.

The NHL is 97 years old. It has been on place for years before Karlsson and will continue to be on place for years after him. One player, no matter how great that one player is, will never have as meaningful impact on the NHL as the poster suggested. If the NHL want's to create a trophy for the highest scoring D, it will have nothing to do with Karlsson. Absolutely nothing.

Erik is still a great player and he is on his way to put a big mark on the NHL. Good for him and good for Sens fans (and for those pesky Swedes I guess).

I'll concede that the NHL and HF posters are two very different things. What the NHL thinks or does I have no idea. But I can tell you that every time this new trophy topic comes up, it's because salty fans are mad that EK's point totals got him his first Norris, and likely a second this year.

Perhaps it is more general than this. Perhaps the proposing fan just doesn't like to see the Norris go to any leading point getter with such an offensive upside, but you have to admit that Karlsson is at least the catalyst for the recent movement.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I'll concede that the NHL and HF posters are two very different things. What the NHL thinks or does I have no idea. But I can tell you that every time this new trophy topic comes up, it's because salty fans are mad that EK's point totals got him his first Norris, and likely a second this year.

Perhaps it is more general than this. Perhaps the proposing fan just doesn't like to see the Norris go to any leading point getter with such an offensive upside, but you have to admit that Karlsson is at least the catalyst for the recent movement.

For certain fans, Karlsson is the reason. I was answering to a poster who said that there is no point in making an award Karlsson would end up winning 80% of the time if he's healthy.

The point here is, that if the NHL decides to create an award, Karlsson has nothing to do with it. A guy who will "win it 80% of the time if healthy" is not even close to being as dominant enough for it to register in the big picture. If the award comes in place, it will be handed out for decades to come. Karlsson winning it few times in the first years will not have nothing to do with the validity of the award.

I hope they don't bring in that award though. Norris is fine and it's one of the "major awards". Right along with Vezina. I don't want an award to be created cause it would either reduce the value of Norris, which would suck, or it would become meaningless trophy no-one cares about.

The great deal about Karlsson is that he's only 24 years old. He still has time to lead the NHL defensemen in scoring for many times. We can never predict the future, but for the looks of it, Karlsson is THE offensive defenseman in the world. Creating an award will not reduce or increase the on ice value this guy brings. He would still be right among the best D's in the world.

Last edited:

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Art Ross Trophy for most points in a season
Richard Trophy for most goals scored in a season
Norris Trophy for most points by a Defenseman in a season
Vezina Trophy for most wins by a Goalie in a season
Jennings Trophy for best save percentage by a Goalie in a season
Selke Trophy for most shorthanded points by a Forward in a season
Lady Byng Trophy for the player with fewest PIM's while scoring over 40 points in a season
Calder Trophy for the Rookie with the most points in a season

Why not just have all those be the Trophies? They are won by only what a player does on the ice from a season and no bias voting involved at all. This should make people happy because they wont feel anyone got screwed out of a award. Hate hearing because complain about who wins a award and then others using awards won by vote for who is better then who.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
It really is ridiculous the Norris Trophy now is essentially the best offensive defenseman who isn't totally detrimental in his own zone.

The award should be about the best defensive defenseman and leave the points out of it, and then make an Art Ross for defenseman. I mean they have the Selke award for forwards, why can't they have an Art Ross for defensemen? The fact Subban has ever won one is nonsense in itself, and the fact Karlsson is constantly nominated is nonsense in itself, as defensively he's quite mediocre.

There should never be a player nominated for the Norris who isn't a top 5 defender, period. I just don't get how players can be given a trophy for being the best defenseman in the league when they aren't very good defensively, it's totally contradictory.

GreatStateofHockey

Oct 2, 2011
It really is ridiculous the Norris Trophy now is essentially the best offensive defenseman who isn't totally detrimental in his own zone.

The award should be about the best defensive defenseman and leave the points out of it, and then make an Art Ross for defenseman. I mean they have the Selke award for forwards, why can't they have an Art Ross for defensemen? The fact Subban has ever won one is nonsense in itself, and the fact Karlsson is constantly nominated is nonsense in itself, as defensively he's quite mediocre.

There should never be a player nominated for the Norris who isn't a top 5 defender, period. I just don't get how players can be given a trophy for being the best defenseman in the league when they aren't very good defensively, it's totally contradictory.

If that was the case then no name defenders would be the only ones nominated. Karlsson is good defensively, but no one really cares about the truth, they just don't want to see a guy so dominant offensively win the Norris. He's just been better than his competition recently. I certainly think he'll be better than the competition for years to come, but there's no gurantee there. Anyone who actually watches Karlsson night in and night out knows he's a special player. He's a top five player in the league and if he keeps it up will find himself in the conversation for the best defenseman since Lidstrom. In all honesty he's already there but most HF posters won't really care until he has 4-5 Norris trophies.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Even if Karlsson is good defensively, he's not top-5, as the poster said above you. You really need to read the posts before answering to them.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
The question is if there is an offensive D man award, does that mean shut down D man has a chance to win the Norris then?

Defensive forwards can win the Selke.......so that would mean offensive D men would be the secondary award of sorts....leaving potential for a D first D man to win the Norris???

MVP
Best Forward
Best Defensive Forward
Best D Man
Best Offensive D Man
Best Goalie
Top Goal Scorer
Rookie of the Year
Come Back Player / Honorary Player of the year?

Do away with the nice guy award.

Other alternative is there could also then be a best defensive D man award, making 3 distinct awards for D players.....which I maybe could get behind.....and there would be a chance that one guy would win all 3 in a given year. Defensive D men will always struggle to get the credit they deserve outside of the knowledgeable hockey circles.

Last edited:

ozzie

Aug 3, 2005
Australia
I believe the QMJHL has a Defensive player of the year award, not sure if its only available for Defensemen and Goalies, or if a forward can win it.

But I like the idea that a defensive defender or a goalie can win such an award.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Subban is excellent defensively. Karlsson is significantly better at controlling the puck than anyone at his position. Haivng the puck > defense.

I see no problem with them being nominated. This site does nothing but cry about how low-scoring the game is and then it has this witch hunt against defensemen who score. It's bizarre.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Honestly, if we are talking about adding an award for defenseman we should add an award for the best defenseman at playing defense, not the opposite.

Meatwad

Feb 17, 2004
Vancouver
The Norris trophy should be voted on by the players on who the best player is at playing defense, meaning the player that is hardest to beat, best in the corners and the toughest in the crease and the best blocker etc.

The Norris is somewhat a joke, if they want a defensive d man award I'm all for it. Karlsson is a great player and probably the best offensive dman in the league, and Subban is good too. Now Sens and Habs fans can take that with them and we can actually discuss a trophy that goes to D-men who are the best at defending which is what the trophy should be about in the first place.

Points should go out the window entirely, its about playing defense.

Xamar*

The Norris trophy should be voted on by the players on who the best player is at playing defense, meaning the player that is hardest to beat, best in the corners and the toughest in the crease and the best blocker etc.

The Norris is somewhat a joke, if they want a defensive d man award I'm all for it. Karlsson is a great player and probably the best offensive dman in the league, and Subban is good too. Now Sens and Habs fans can take that with them and we can actually discuss a trophy that goes to D-men who are the best at defending which is what the trophy should be about in the first place.

Is this guy serious ? :help:

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
And in many other people's opinions, Karlsson/Subban are better than those two.

Yes, but only offensively.

Subban is excellent defensively. Karlsson is significantly better at controlling the puck than anyone at his position. Haivng the puck > defense.

I see no problem with them being nominated. This site does nothing but cry about how low-scoring the game is and then it has this witch hunt against defensemen who score. It's bizarre.

No, he isn't. He's constantly coughing up the puck or caught out of position. He's very average in that regard and gets very exposed especially against the West.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com

We don't live in should-land. The Norris is awarded to the best defenseman. That is the criteria of the award. Of course, a defenseman should inherently be good at defense, but trying to say that points mean nothing is batty. The best defenseman is the total package, the best offensively and defensively. No GM in their right mind would pick a player like Rod Langway over a player like Erik Karlsson. None. Which is why turning the Norris into "best defensive defenseman" would be ****

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Yes, but only offensively.

No, he isn't. He's constantly coughing up the puck or caught out of position. He's very average in that regard and gets very exposed especially against the West.

Yeah, okay. :rolleyes: As soon as someone says something like this, their opinion means nothing to me.

And let me be clear, I think Weber was snubbed and that Subban should not be ahead of him in the voting. That said, the idea that players consistently play worse/better against a certain conference is just silly. Certain teams is one thing. Even then, it's more often a matter of circumstance than anything.

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
Karlsson is a great defenseman who controls the game. He is one of the best players in the league. What more does he have to do? His defense is very good and his offense is among the best. Most don't watch him play and can't appreciate his skill level. He takes chances other Dmen only wish they could. That's what makes him one of the best skilled dmen in the league. Suddan is as traditional as they come and is good, just not Karlsson good.

It's hard to watch games of non-local teams because access is limited. This is the problem.

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
I agree that the league is facing a crisis of legitimacy. It comes from management trying to attract new fans. While the new fans have come, the integrity has suffered. Hopefully this problem is self correcting as new fans learn to appreciate the sport better, but I don't think a new trophy is necessary at this time.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
How about just fix the award and actually use the Norris the right way?

Hey, theres an idea.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Outside of the PK there's little inherent value in playing "defense" well. Having good defensive skills is a means to an end, the end being controlling the puck and creating scoring chances, and ideally outscoring the opponent. If a player is elite defensively and uses that skill to regain the puck and move it up the ice, the value is in that when that player is on the ice his team has the puck. Not in the way he makes that happen. There doesn't need to be a caveat when Subban or Karlsson win the Norris that they're "not good defensively" (the idea Subban isn't good defensively is hilarious, as is the idea that Karlsson is "bad"). Defensive skill is just that, a skill. It's one tool in the toolbox. Do we need to throw an asterisk on Lidstrom or Karlsson's Norris wins because they didn't hit like Pronger or Chara? Of course not, we recognize that they're different players and were/are elite players based on different skillsets.

All round ability isn't about having a perceived "best" combination of inputs, it's about having the best output. Skating, shooting, passing, hitting, positioning, strength, hands, vision, hockey sense, effort, they're all inputs, and a player combines all of these attributes to create an output of possession, and ideally scoring chances and goals. Hal Gill was one of the slowest skaters in the league and managed to be effective. Karlsson's effectiveness is greatly based on him being perhaps the best skater in the league. Weber and Chara score a lot of goals with a big shot. Subban uses his edges to control the puck like few players can. That doesn't mean a great defenseman needs to be as good a skater as Karlsson, shooter as Weber, or control the puck like Subban. All it means is those players use their skillset to produce elite results. Value the results, not the skillset. Marc-Andre Bergeron was one of the best shooters in the NHL. Douglas Murray was one of the strongest and most physical. They're out of the league now because even a high end tool doesn't mean anything if the rest of your game isn't up to snuff. It's also why Dennis Wideman or Andrei Markov aren't getting Norris discussion even with high point totals, while Mark Giordano and PK Subban are.

The extreme example is Team Canada at the Olympics. They weren't successful because of playing great "defense" (although they'd have been capable at that as well), they were successful because they just flat out dominated possession against everyone to such a degree that they didn't even have to play defense. Even if you're the best defensive defenseman ever, you're still better off if you don't have to defend in the first place. I'm also not sure I buy the idea that Weber's an amazing defensive rock. He's big, Canadian, shot a puck through the net, and has a beard, so it feels like he should be Chris Pronger, but I don't really know if I think that's true. I think he's very good at both ends of the ice but in my opinion the legend of Shea Weber and his defensive prowess is a bit overblown. In my opinion, Subban, Karlsson, and Doughty exist on their own tier separate from Weber. Weber might not even be the best defenseman on his pairing.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad