Is It Time for a Norris Trophy AND a "Best Offensive Defenseman Trophy"?

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Michalek is a pretty good skater, I'd say above average, particularly when it comes to straight line speed, he's actually pretty speedy. He won the Sens fasest skater competition beating Hoffman (who I'm sure you know is blazing fast). His acceleration isn't as fast, but he was already moving in that direction. As for Karlsson hesitating and being in forward mode, I agree he could have gone full tilt defensively at that time, but I'm not convinced it would have been the best choice. He's recognized all the players are covered, and sticks with Prust, who could have come in as a late man had he doubled up on Mitchell or Wiese. Obviously in hindsight, it would have been at worst equal, but I don't see it as a mistake or error in judgement, rather he's recognizing that neither Weise or Mitchell should be dangerous in this situation. At worst, I'd say it was a minor issue, and certainly not a case where he was responsible for a goal against.

Anyhow, I think at this point it's just a matter of opinion on how risk adverse you want your players to be, and I have no issues with prefering someone to be more risk adverse, but I feel like this play in particular is being made into a mountain when it's really a molehill. There is certainly risk involved any time you stand up at the blueline, but that particular instance is a risk I'm willing to take every time.

Interesting, I could have sworn I remembered Sens fans lamenting his speed. Maybe this was around the time when he had those injuries plaguing him? That does surprise me though, but good to know for future reference.

That's probably fair to say - and really it's not like either way of thinking it necessarily wrong. Risks lead to opportunities, but I just like more selectivity when it comes to defensemen taking them. The risk is definitely mitigated by the fact of which line the Habs had on the ice, glad you pointed that one out.

Good to have an objective discussion on EK though. :cheers:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
You're pretty much blaming Karlsson for pinching because a forward can't defend a 2 on 2 as well as a defensemen, so pointing out how common the play is, is fair. Sure you can argue what's he gain from it, but there isn't much to lose either. Forwards are well coached in regards to what to do in those situations, after all it's a play that teams make a dozen times a game.

Not to mention that Michalek had his man all the way and was in no way responsible for the goal against. It's one thing to say Karlsson's at fault because Michalek was unable to adequately defend the pass or clear a rebound but that pass or rebound never happened, and even if it did, he was in great position to prevent any chance.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Interesting, I could have sworn I remembered Sens fans lamenting his speed. Maybe this was around the time when he had those injuries plaguing him? That does surprise me though, but good to know for future reference.

That's probably fair to say - and really it's not like either way of thinking it necessarily wrong. Risks lead to opportunities, but I just like more selectivity when it comes to defensemen taking them. The risk is definitely mitigated by the fact of which line the Habs had on the ice, glad you pointed that one out.

Good to have an objective discussion on EK though. :cheers:

Yeah, Michalek did have issues early on in 2013-14 but was getting back into form late that year. I do think he's lost the explosiveness that he had in SJ though. He's had several knee issues, so if they are acting up, it slows him down abit, but this year was a good one for him wrt his skating. Even when his knee's were at their worst though, I'd say he was probably about average speed with below average acceleration, but expectations for him are to be above average.

torlev*

Really. Solely him. For 3:37. Weird, because the official game sheet says he was off the ice when Pacioretty's shot was blocked by Wiercoich with 2:43 to go. Not the block by Wiercoich, the block by Methot, the defensive zone faceoff won by Turris or the 2 takeaways by Stone? Or the shot by Turris? That was all EK right? Not to mention the goalie not being pulled until less than a minute to go.

It's almost like the forwards clogged up the neutral zone against a Montreal team that was up 3-0 in the series and didn't really allow them access. EK didn't have to do a thing.

I can guarantee you though that he was caught up ice doing his "revolutionizing the position" thing in game 3, leaving his D partner with a 2 on 1, which resulted in a Dale Weise overtime goal. And he's the 4th player back too :laugh:

I remember that. he was the main problem for three goals against that game.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I remember that. he was the main problem for three goals against that game.

He was the main problem for 3 goals against in the game that ended 2-1 in that video? or 3 goals against in a game they won 1-0?

Jeez, I knew Karlsson was terrible defensively, but I didn't realize he could be reponsible even for the goals that never happened. good to know your always objective evaluation is here to clear things up.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad