Is It Time for a Norris Trophy AND a "Best Offensive Defenseman Trophy"?

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I'm tired of Subban and Karlsson winning the Norris. They are not the best d-men. Drew Doughty and Shea Weber are IMO, but regardless, the best two-way defensemen will never be recognized is its always about points. And it usually is.

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
While in principle I agree, but my solution isn't to see more awards added. Rather I have stopped caring about the NHL awards entirely, even in more specified categories the voting is pretty terrible. Stanley cup, Conn Smythe and Hart are all we really need in my opinion.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Karlsson is a great defenseman who controls the game. He is one of the best players in the league. What more does he have to do? His defense is very good and his offense is among the best. Most don't watch him play and can't appreciate his skill level. He takes chances other Dmen only wish they could. That's what makes him one of the best skilled dmen in the league. Suddan is as traditional as they come and is good, just not Karlsson good.

GreatStateofHockey

Oct 2, 2011
What happens if Karlsson/Subban win both? Then should we implement a 2nd best defenseman award? Just so the other defenders don't feel left out? Is that what you think they should have done when Gretzky was in the league? Second most valuable player?

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I'm tired of Subban and Karlsson winning the Norris. They are not the best d-men. Drew Doughty and Shea Weber are IMO, but regardless, the best two-way defensemen will never be recognized is its always about points. And it usually is.

And in many other people's opinions, Karlsson/Subban are better than those two.

Ser Grogu

Dank farrik
Aug 6, 2009

His Norris window is probably closed considering EK/PK/Doty are entering their primes, Ekblad entering the league, and Josi breaking out while on the same pairing.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I was under the impression we were already creating the Paul Coffey Memorial Trophy for Defenseman That Score A Lot and Aren't Dead Yet Either

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Also, I just can't believe how easily people buy into hype. I'm fairly certain most of the people questioning Karlsson's nomination have watched him play like once at most. He's very good defensively. it's just that he rarely spends any time defending because his team usually has the puck when he'd out there.

Chfan

Apr 16, 2004
Montreal
The daily "Karlsson and Subban" suck defensively thread.

They're not the best defensively because they take chances, but in the end, they're both competent defensively (at least, the good strongly outweighs the bad) and that makes them good 'All-around defensemen". The Norris is for the best overall defenseman, not just "The best defensive defenseman" either.

WilderPegasus*

A second award only means that Karlsson's trophy room will require even more space.

The problem isn't with the award; it is that you have uninformed opinions.

Ewan McGregor*

The daily "Karlsson and Subban" suck defensively thread.

They're not the best defensively because they take chances, but in the end, they're both competent defensively (at least, the good strongly outweighs the bad) and that makes them good 'All-around defensemen". The Norris is for the best overall defenseman, not just "The best defensive defenseman" either.

You make it sound like Doughty and Weber are defensive defensemen.

:laugh::laugh:

Lazarrr

Apr 10, 2010
Ottawa
It would be stupid to make a trophy for offensive defenseman when Karlsson would likely win it 80% of the time unless he's injured.

The Joker*

This is not a good idea at all. The Norris takes into account all aspects of being a defenseman.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I don't want to see more awards. It just takes away the value on them.

But I agree, Norris should focus more on the defensive play than points.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
It would be stupid to make a trophy for offensive defenseman when Karlsson would likely win it 80% of the time unless he's injured.

:facepalm:

Arrogant much?

First of all, Karlsson has led the D in scoring for three times. Second of all, he won't be playing forever. Should we just get rid of the Art Ross too, since Crosby will win it 80% of the time if he is not injured? :laugh:

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Clamshells

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 11, 2009

It's too bad the NHL doesn't cater its trophy case for HFBoards poster Avsboy. A darn shame really.

Xamar*

:facepalm:

Arrogant much?

First of all, Karlsson has led the D in scoring for three times. Second of all, he won't be playing forever. Should we just get rid of the Art Ross too, since Crosby will win it 80% of the time if he is not injured? :laugh:

If you are not trying to be funny, that has got to be one of the stupidest thing anyone has posted here.

[MOD] Don't you just wish your boy Oli Maata will become half the player Karlsson is ?

Ttracer*

All individual awards should be eliminated, it's a team game. Players don't care, coaches don't care, teams dont care. I'm under the assumption fans care for some bizarre reason

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
[MOD] Don't you just wish your boy Oli Maata will become half the player Karlsson is ?

[MOD] Dude is a stud and definitely should be listed among the best defensemen in the world. Absolutely the best offensive D to boot. If I had the chance to add any D in the world to my favorite team, I would wager it to be Karlsson. (Although, I would have to think about Weber and Doughty too)

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Norris has long been about points, to be honest. Look back on its history.

This whole "let's make a Paul Coffey Award" crap? It's essentially fans saying "Aw man this Karlsson guy is going to win a bunch of Norrises in the next 10 years, let's make a brand new trophy just for him so he can win that, and the defenseman that I like then has a chance to win the trophy with actual significance!"

It's laughable. Sorry, rest of the league, that a Senator is for once going to win an individual award multiple times.

Karlsson is revolutionizing the position, and his Norris nomination is proof of it.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Norris has long been about points, to be honest. Look back on its history.

This whole "let's make a Paul Coffey Award" crap? It's essentially fans saying "Aw man this Karlsson guy is going to win a bunch of Norrises in the next 10 years, let's make a brand new trophy just for him so he can win that, and the defenseman that I like then has a chance to win the trophy with actual significance!"

It's laughable. Sorry, rest of the league, that a Senator is for once going to win an individual award multiple times.

Karlsson is revolutionizing the position, and his Norris nomination is proof of it.

I don't know if Karlsson is revolutionizing the position. There have been defensemen who played equally/more effective offense. He's just playing up to his strengths and there is not a single D in the world who can skate/stick handle like Karlsson can. I bet most of the defensemen would play the same way if the physically could.

I think Sens deserve to be happy about Karlsson and his spectacular play. It took a while for Erik to win me over (mainly due to the love/hate relationship Finns have about Swedish players :laugh: ) But dude is the real deal. He's going the be one of the best D's in the world for a long time.

Sweden can go suck it though! Lidstrom, Slaming and now Karlsson!!! :rant:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad