Confirmed with Link: Is Glen Sather Stepping Down? [UPDATE: Yes]

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Wholesale changes are on the horizon. Blue Jackets president of hockey operations John Davidson is expected to return home to New York to succeed Glen Sather as Rangers president. Assistant coach Brad Shaw is expected to interview for the head coaching vacancy in Ottawa. (Assistant GM Bill Zito interviewed for the Edmonton Oilers’ GM job that went to Ken Holland. He will likely be a GM soon.)

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Have to figure he’ll get the week for CBJ breakup and media day, and then we’ll start seeing any movement regarding JD, right?

I read Columbus is having their breakup day tomorrow. Does JD sit in on the exit meetings with Jarmo and Tortorella? It would be awkward for him to sit it on those meetings knowing the Rangers job is waiting for him. It’s his dream job. He never won a championship as a player so he took the Blues job to win a championship as a member of management. He had a great life as a broadcaster.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think he is the right guy at the right time to join Gorton.
With Sather staying on as an advisor, I think that they only person they would bring in is someone who would share Gorton's vision and plan.

Which is why, on multiple levels, I think that Gorton winds up wearing both hats and eventually passes the GM one to Drury. Gorton has seems to have carte blanche to carry out his vision to a tee. And he has been operating as such. For someone, even a JD, to come in and be told that we have picked a path and it must be allowed to be executed......well, let's just say not sure how many would sign on for that.

Gorton has been operating with clear eyes and a straight heart. He is not taking into considerations how fans feel about things and his vision has been signed off on at all levels of management. With all that, who better than to continue to execute it on a franchise level?

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
My guess is that what most people are missing about the transition, is what Gorts wants to do. He may prefer the GM's duties, and might want a President between him and Dolan. He might envision his own career path as one day replacing JD, and allowing Drury to slide in under him.

I know that as Rangers fans we are trained to expect the worst, and Dolan has been historically awful in regards to interfering with the Knicks, but I see no reason to infer any possible dysfunction in this process.

Reactions: nyr2k2

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Seattle is also doing its due diligence in watching how the situation plays out in New York with the change in upper management there. If a new president comes in and wants to bring a new staff with them, perhaps that makes current Rangers GM Jeff Gorton an option, although he’s set up the Rangers nicely in a rebuild that appears to be turning the corner.

The Rangers also have an assistant GM in Chris Drury whose responsibilities have grown along with his experience. Drury is currently the Team USA GM for the World Championships and built as strong a roster as the Americans have fielded in that tournament.

“He’s a quick learner. He’s a really sharp guy,” Gorton said of Drury. “He’s a guy that’s won before, everywhere he’s been. He has that way of looking at things, no bullshit. A no-nonsense kind of guy and he approaches every day wanting to get better.”

As always, in hockey, these things are all connected. If John Davidson gets the president job in New York, the bet is that he’s not going to go and shake things up in the Rangers’ front office.

Trautwig asked Sather what moves is most proud of and Sather hiring Gorton.

Sather did an interview with Michael Kay on ESPN Radio NY. Sather said he made the decision to step away because the organization is in good shape and he wouldn't be leaving if things were bad.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
My guess is that what most people are missing about the transition, is what Gorts wants to do. He may prefer the GM's duties, and might want a President between him and Dolan. He might envision his own career path as one day replacing JD, and allowing Drury to slide in under him.

I know that as Rangers fans we are trained to expect the worst, and Dolan has been historically awful in regards to interfering with the Knicks, but I see no reason to infer any possible dysfunction in this process.
I really hate the idea of anyone coming in as a boss to Gorton. There is so much potential to completely derail the rebuild and take a sudden change of course and not letting him finish what he started

Reactions: haveandare

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
I really hate the idea of anyone coming in as a boss to Gorton. There is so much potential to completely derail the rebuild and take a sudden change of course and not letting him finish what he started

I wouldn’t worry about JD pulling something like that. The rebuild is in full swing, just would need someone with experience in an oversight role.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Brooks sounding like JD is going to happen.
Brooks also sounded like Hayes was not going to be traded.

In all seriousness, if you are JD, why would you come here? Sather is staying on as adviser to Dolan. There is a GM who has seemingly been given carte-blanche to carry out his vision for building a team. You know that if you come in, that GM is not only staying but will also continue to execute his plan. That plan and vision may not coincide with your plan and vision. At least that is how I am reading the tea leaves.

Gorton has not been acting like a man who expects anything to be different no matter who is named president. I would think that he has assurances from Sather (again, who WILL continue to be the voice in Dolan's ear). His plan in in effect and goes beyond just this draft.

Just makes sense to me that Gorton gets the hat and has a conversation with Drury telling him that his way can be very similar. Apprentice for a few more years and then take the hat of the GM of the NY Rangers. Unless for some reason that Gorton has no such aspirations.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
That is not happening. Not with Sather continuing to be an adviser to Dolan. Gorton's actions are not of someone who has anything to fear.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Brooks also sounded like Hayes was not going to be traded.

In all seriousness, if you are JD, why would you come here? Sather is staying on as adviser to Dolan. There is a GM who has seemingly been given carte-blanche to carry out his vision for building a team. You know that if you come in, that GM is not only staying but will also continue to execute his plan. That plan and vision may not coincide with your plan and vision. At least that is how I am reading the tea leaves.

Gorton has not been acting like a man who expects anything to be different no matter who is named president. I would think that he has assurances from Sather (again, who WILL continue to be the voice in Dolan's ear). His plan in in effect and goes beyond just this draft.

Just makes sense to me that Gorton gets the hat and has a conversation with Drury telling him that his way can be very similar. Apprentice for a few more years and then take the hat of the GM of the NY Rangers. Unless for some reason that Gorton has no such aspirations.

Because if you help build a winner in NY for the Rangers, you're a legend. JD has had a GM in STL and CBJ so I don't think Gorton is a draw back.

There are obvious ties to the organization and you could argue that the Rangers are better situated to win a Cup than CBJ.

I think the biggest question is what exactly does being President of New York Rangers really entail?

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
Whoever the new president is, their job is to just keep the ship sailing in the direction it's already going. Makes sense to bring in someone like JD. He has deep ties to the organization, the fans adore him and he seems to be a good hockey guy judging from his work in smaller markets. There's no culture to change, no philosophy to alter. The Rangers set their rebuild in motion two years ago. Would be insane to bring in someone who isn't totally onboard with that plan or who wants to do something radically different.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think the biggest question is what exactly does being President of New York Rangers really entail?
AGreed. And that is the question. Are you anything more than a figurehead who holds press conferences (think of Randy Levine for the Yankees)? If Gorton's plan is the plan going forward, wouldn't you want to have input? I think that the writing is on the wall regarding whose vision it is that is going to shape the team.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
AGreed. And that is the question. Are you anything more than a figurehead who holds press conferences (think of Randy Levine for the Yankees)? If Gorton's plan is the plan going forward, wouldn't you want to have input? I think that the writing is on the wall regarding whose vision it is that is going to shape the team.

Just because the philosophy is set it doesn't mean he won't have any input on personal and the roster going forward - who they draft, trade or sign. I'm sure there's plenty a guy like JD could add to the organization. To me it's, are you cool with what we're doing? If yes, great.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I mean, to me, it all makes sense. JD signs on this offseason. Gorton stays GM. For the most part, JD stays uninvolved (other than as a sounding board) for the season, while Gorts completes the last big season of the rebuild. Then, going into next year, JD has more *directional* input as time comes to start building toward a contender again – though, as always, Gorts maintains control of personnel decisions. Maintain that status quo for ~5 years. Win a cup or two. JD retires. Gorts moves up. Drury takes Gorts' spot. Rinse and repeat.

Last edited:

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

So I have a question here...

"Duchene said throughout the playoffs he enjoyed “every day being a Blue Jacket,” but the reality is Columbus will have to sacrifice another first-round pick if they re-sign him. Dzingel, who also came over from Ottawa, was a healthy scratch in Game 2 in Boston."

What if CBJ worked out a compensation deal with another team -- sold Duchene's rights to another team for a 7th, then that team signed him, and then traded him to CBJ for a 5th? Is CBJ on the hook for another 1st rounder at that point? They did not sign him directly

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
If JD does come back I can finally forgive Andy Strickland for breaking the story of JD leaving in the middle of the season before anyone confirmed it

Legitimately never forgot his name because of that

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
That is not happening. Not with Sather continuing to be an adviser to Dolan. Gorton's actions are not of someone who has anything to fear.

"Adviser to Dolan" could literally just mean "I like you and will give you a job in title only to hang around a bit"

I'm not getting the feeling that Sather will have any major input on anything and this is mostly a retirement gig.

Gorton may also not want some of the duties that a team President usually does and would prefer to focus on being a GM, and JD (or anyone) coming in above him in that spot isn't necessarily a bad thing depending on the duties and could even help bring some perspectives and connections to help Gorton out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad