Confirmed with Link: Is Glen Sather Stepping Down? [UPDATE: Yes]

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
How do you know JD won’t share the same vision as Gorton/Drury?
I did not say he does not. All I am saying is that Gorton has been executing his plan according to his vision, with (seemingly) no interference. I would certainly hope that if JD is brought in, that he would share the same vision and not deviate in any aspect.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Karlsson and his injuries are a concern, but when was on the ice this season he has been dominant, atleast in the regular season. But Add in that we have 3 other RHD who are similar but obviously not as good, plus Pionk and there would need to be a number of moving parts to fit him into the lineup. And buying out Shattenkirk is not an option in my eyes, it's just a dumb idea.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Karlsson and his injuries are a concern, but when was on the ice this season he has been dominant, atleast in the regular season. But Add in that we have 3 other RHD who are similar but obviously not as good, plus Pionk and there would need to be a number of moving parts to fit him into the lineup. And buying out Shattenkirk is not an option in my eyes, it's just a dumb idea.
Dominant with the puck and a disaster at defending in the playoffs.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Look at the teams JD has built in St Louis and Columbus. His teams are full of big, skilled guys with defensemen who can move the puck but also play a more physical style of game. That's almost exactly what Gorton has stated he wants to build in NY. The two guys seem to have a very similar philosophy which is great.

JD built those teams??

CBJ are Jarmo Ks — and the scouting crew he has assembled’s — creation from top to bottom. They work really hard and has a very professional operation in Europe around Ville Siren, Daniel Tjarnqvist, Jarkko Ruutu— who is a really bright guy — and co. Younger guys.

Davidson left STL in a mess and have at best stayed out of the way in Columbus.

He is the perfect puppet president.

We are an original 6 team with all the resources in the wold that has won one cup in soon to be 80 years. Is Davidson eager to come in and fix everything that is in a really poor state with this team? No, lol. He is taking his time. Will come in and smoke some cigars and sip whiskey and collect a pay check. One cup since 1940.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
JD built those teams??

CBJ are Jarmo Ks — and the scouting crew he has assembled’s — creation from top to bottom. They work really hard and has a very professional operation in Europe around Ville Siren, Daniel Tjarnqvist, Jarkko Ruutu— who is a really bright guy — and co. Younger guys.

Davidson left STL in a mess and have at best stayed out of the way in Columbus.

He is the perfect puppet president.

We are an original 6 team with all the resources in the wold that has won one cup in soon to be 80 years. Is Davidson eager to come in and fix everything that is in a really poor state with this team? No, lol. He is taking his time. Will come in and smoke some cigars and sip whiskey and collect a pay check. One cup since 1940.

So you are saying JD would be the perfect president (assuming you like what Gorts has been doing) because he'll stay out of the way and let Gorton keep going with his plan?

Reactions: Savant

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
So you are saying JD would be the perfect president (assuming you like what Gorts has been doing) because he'll stay out of the way and let Gorton keep going with his plan?

I don't like what Gorton has been doing in all areas, only in some. Contract strategy has been a disaster, short term for homegrown kids on the rise and long-term for over-the-hill-UFAs. That strategy hasn't been good. The AHL organisation we have is just terrible, Gorton haven't had the time to do anything with it. Our pro-scouting has been horrible, but maybe Gorton is starting a transition there, but certainly not a revolution which it needs. Amature scouting is OK -- but its not state of the art.

I just want us to try to be one of the better run organizations in this league, not be one of those organisations that has a farm team that is an after-thought, completely bums out on scouting of NHLers like Emerson Etem or Namestnikov and co. That has no clue on how to develop kids and make the very significant mistakes we have done so far. Will we send Kakko to rookie camp, then the WJSS, then Camp with TPS and have in play in their pre-season, then Traverse before our camp? It seems insane, the kid wouldn't get any "off-season", chance to recover and hit the gym and build up his body. Yet that is exactly what we did with Lias.

In short, are we a perfectly managed organization? Not in all areas at least. Improvements can be made.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The fact that JD isn't on the job already speaks volumes on what he is about. He is in no hurry because he has nothing that he wants to achieve.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
The fact that JD isn't on the job already speaks volumes on what he is about. He is in no hurry because he has nothing that he wants to achieve.
giphy.gif

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
It’s been very quiet. Probably too quiet. Columbus was knocked on Monday. Nothing. The Rangers are holding their meetings this week in California. They are supposed to end today. It would not be a surprise if Davidson has already flewn out to California this week to meet with a Sather.

JD is 66. It’s now or never for him. If he wants the Rangers job, he might not get another opportunity.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I don't like what Gorton has been doing in all areas, only in some. Contract strategy has been a disaster, short term for homegrown kids on the rise and long-term for over-the-hill-UFAs. That strategy hasn't been good. The AHL organisation we have is just terrible, Gorton haven't had the time to do anything with it. Our pro-scouting has been horrible, but maybe Gorton is starting a transition there, but certainly not a revolution which it needs. Amature scouting is OK -- but its not state of the art.

I just want us to try to be one of the better run organizations in this league, not be one of those organisations that has a farm team that is an after-thought, completely bums out on scouting of NHLers like Emerson Etem or Namestnikov and co. That has no clue on how to develop kids and make the very significant mistakes we have done so far. Will we send Kakko to rookie camp, then the WJSS, then Camp with TPS and have in play in their pre-season, then Traverse before our camp? It seems insane, the kid wouldn't get any "off-season", chance to recover and hit the gym and build up his body. Yet that is exactly what we did with Lias.

In short, are we a perfectly managed organization? Not in all areas at least. Improvements can be made.
Some thoughts, a respective rebuttal of sorts if you will

I agree the pro scouting has been hit and miss. I mean Etem is one thing but Zbad is another. There are some in between too.

The amateur scouting I think has been much improved.

Which homegrown kids did they sign short term? If we are talking Hayes, why do we assume he wanted to sign long term and not want to get to UFA as quickly as he could? Vesey I'm not a huge fan of them signing guys right to UFA but in that case I'm not sure it's a bad thing.

The UFAs, I really am not so sure that was or should be put all on Gorton, I'm thinking they saw that Lundqvist had a lot of term left, and they were not going to totally rebuild even if Gorton wanted to and was making moves towards doing so. Sather and Dolan seem to really like Lundqvist. I don't think it's coincidence that both Shattenkirk, Smith have contract ends dates shared with Lundqvist. I think that was a retool where it just happened to fail the first season into it (injuries were a factor) and from there the rebuild letter came about.

Player development, that I actually do somewhat agree with you on, yet it's more the AHL team in my opinion. Some of the better prospects would be well served by getting more AHL time, they need to fix that. They seem to be missing a development step right before Quinn and the NHL. I assume that is why they fired the coach down there, not that I think he or even Genander were totally to blame. Rangers started 4 consecutive drafts at pick #65, #59, #41 and #81.

Yet last season they did have some viable prospects who could have been in the AHL in Chytil, Howden and Lias, why they felt they needed to be in the NHL instead, whether that was because they feared having them in the AHL, or if they feared the optics of a rebuilding team not having any new rookies on the NHL team, that in my opinion was a misstep.

As far as JD, I'm just going to say I think if you look into the 4-5 year history of Blues and Columbus before his arrival a little more, I think you'll see those teams were in bad shape or headed for bad shape upon his arrival. There were still mistakes made beyond his arrival, yet there was a shift towards patience and development in both organizations after he arrived. The Blues were a really old roster back when he showed up. Columbus had just made this trade prior to his arrival which I think reflects on how badly they were organized and how desperate they were to try to keep Nash happy.

2011-Jun-23 Jeff Carter Traded from Philadelphia Flyers to Columbus Blue Jackets for Jakub Voracek, round 1 pick in the 2011 draft (Sean Couturier) and round 3 pick in the 2011 draft (Nick Cousins)

Last edited:

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

lol such a horrible hot take...his team just got eliminated the other day. if he bolted immediately it would say more about him negatively

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Off-sides- Fair points. I just think that someone experienced that has been around the top franchises would have been a perfect compliment for Gorton. I don’t agree that everything is perfect.

CBJs roster is great, but the product on the ice has been beyond awful. Struggling to get into the POs, winning one round only. Torts hockey is just not — the best — fit in today’s NHL, management that can’t see that tells you a lot.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
I love Karlsson but think he would way too expensive and wouldn't make sense at this point in time with this team.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The Jackets just had break up day and exit interviews less than 48 hours ago.

This is a horrendous take, you're better than this.

He is their president, he haven't been part of any exit meetings. If he is on the way out -- you don't want him there either. Yzerman is in full fledge in Detroit. JD is taking his time.

Go get Ralph Kreuger...

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
He is their president, he haven't been part of any exit meetings. If he is on the way out -- you don't want him there either. Yzerman is in full fledge in Detroit. JD is taking his time.

Go get Ralph Kreuger...
Buffalo seems to be going after him to be their head coach right now

Reactions: egelband

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Tic tac tic tac

The new president will be given a major role to rebuild the hockey operation in HFD. In the hockey-world, free-agency to 99% are handled in January to March. That is when coaches sign new contracts for next season, outside the NHL. That is when players sign new contracts for next season, outside the NHL. Ideally, our AHL coach for next season should be travelling the globe right now searching for players that fits what he and our brass wants to do with our AHL team. Who is our GM of HFD? Drury, he seems swamped with his AGM duties and have failed to realize what it takes in the AHL. We need an AHL GM, or an AHL AGM for Drury (but how attractive would that job be?)

There is so much work to be done for the new president, and it should have been done yesterday. Sather's hockey operation isn't ideal, far from it. Way to much friends and family. Sather has always been anti-changes and a traditionalist.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Tic tac tic tac

The new president will be given a major role to rebuild the hockey operation in HFD. In the hockey-world, free-agency to 99% are handled in January to March. That is when coaches sign new contracts for next season, outside the NHL. That is when players sign new contracts for next season, outside the NHL. Ideally, our AHL coach for next season should be travelling the globe right now searching for players that fits what he and our brass wants to do with our AHL team. Who is our GM of HFD? Drury, he seems swamped with his AGM duties and have failed to realize what it takes in the AHL. We need an AHL GM, or an AHL AGM for Drury (but how attractive would that job be?)

There is so much work to be done for the new president, and it should have been done yesterday. Sather's hockey operation isn't ideal, far from it. Way to much friends and family. Sather has always been anti-changes and a traditionalist.
I think you’re making this a bigger deal than it is

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Or maybe it's because the position will only be vacant on July 1st. After all, Sather literally said he's stepping down at the end of the season

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Or maybe it's because the position will only be vacant on July 1st. After all, Sather literally said he's stepping down at the end of the season

The background for me is that I have been annoyed for a long time with Sather's lack of interest in improving the organization. I am sure he has written out checks for Reggie Grant if he wants to improve his side, to the scouts if they had an idea that needed funding, to AV's crew and so forth. But we haven't had anyone at the top driving things for a long time.

This has certainly created big holes in the organization, having one of the worst farms etc. We don't have a clue about how to develop a kid. We have made real bad reads in relation to the CBA. Some of these can surely be debated, but OTOH its certainly an area where you only see the tips of the ice bergs if you get what I mean. Right? How is our analytic department?

Who is running our AHL franchise? Its Chris Drury, he has a major work load. Our senior advisors are Slats pals, they aren't pulling any work load for us. Its he and Gorton that runs the show totally outside the amature side. Toronto has -- counting Slats as a bit of a silent president, even if he opened meetings etc -- 6 guys to do the job Gorton and Drury shares. And like: What does Drury know about the AHL? What it takes to have a good organization? What is important for kids? Does it even matter for the kids or not if the product is good? The answer is easy, just look at the horror show HFD have been for years. Since Paddock left.

Now Slats is stepping down. I want someone that really is willing to come in and roll up the sleeves to come in and replace him. Not someone that can just act as a place holder while Gorton have to carry all responsibilities himself with the help of an unexperienced AGM.

Like we are short already after Steve Greeley left to get a better shot at a GM spot in Buffalo (or for whatever reason he left)...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad