Confirmed with Link: Is Glen Sather Stepping Down? [UPDATE: Yes]

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
So I have a question here...

"Duchene said throughout the playoffs he enjoyed “every day being a Blue Jacket,” but the reality is Columbus will have to sacrifice another first-round pick if they re-sign him. Dzingel, who also came over from Ottawa, was a healthy scratch in Game 2 in Boston."

What if CBJ worked out a compensation deal with another team -- sold Duchene's rights to another team for a 7th, then that team signed him, and then traded him to CBJ for a 5th? Is CBJ on the hook for another 1st rounder at that point? They did not sign him directly

Teams aren't going to do that type if shady stuff.

No, they wouldn't be on the hook. They'd also lose the trust and respect of the other General Managers.

And you expect the player to just go along with all this? It's honestly ridiculous and stupid to even bring up.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
"Adviser to Dolan" could literally just mean "I like you and will give you a job in title only to hang around a bit"

I'm not getting the feeling that Sather will have any major input on anything and this is mostly a retirement gig.

Gorton may also not want some of the duties that a team President usually does and would prefer to focus on being a GM, and JD (or anyone) coming in above him in that spot isn't necessarily a bad thing depending on the duties and could even help bring some perspectives and connections to help Gorton out.
Valid points, but I have the feeling that Sather will be a bit more than that. But we shall see.

I also think that Sather will broach the topic of also being President with Gorton. We shall see how it unfolds. One would think that the move would be done fairly quickly.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Valid points, but I have the feeling that Sather will be a bit more than that. But we shall see.

I also think that Sather will broach the topic of also being President with Gorton. We shall see how it unfolds. One would think that the move would be done fairly quickly.

I'm sure they've already talked to Gorton about this whole situation. I don't think they'd just leave him out in the cold about Sather stepping down and them hiring a new President.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
If they hire JD would that increase the odds of signing Panarin?

I think the Rangers probably have their mind made up as to whether or not they want to be involved in the Panarin bidding. I don't think JD will move the needle too much in favor of him. They know he's an elite talent and all that.

Depending on what insight JD has into Panarin, it could actually decrease the odds. If he's a head case or a has big ego or something. However I highly doubt that's the case. He seems like a good egg.

Reactions: Hire Sather

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
No, I meant to gauge his interest in being President.

Yeah I'm saying that I think they've already done that. I have doubts they'd go through this process without discussing with Gorton the possibility of him being President as well.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Yeah I'm saying that I think they've already done that. I have doubts they'd go through this process without discussing with Gorton the possibility of him being President as well.
Do you believe that they spoke to him about it and will still bring in some candidates, with the ultimate decision still up in the air?

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I think the Rangers probably have their mind made up as to whether or not they want to be involved in the Panarin bidding. I don't think JD will move the needle too much in favor of him. They know he's an elite talent and all that.

Depending on what insight JD has into Panarin, it could actually decrease the odds. If he's a head case or a has big ego or something. However I highly doubt that's the case. He seems like a good egg.

Brooks’ article yesterday only fuels my suspicion that the Rangers are not anywhere near as ‘all-in’ on Panarin as some here would like them to be.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Brooks’ article yesterday only fuels my suspicion that the Rangers are not anywhere near as ‘all-in’ on Panarin as some here would like them to be.

Agreed. Seems like a situation where they have a deal where they'd like to get him but aren't going any higher on term or years. The Toronto cap situation is a cautionary tale for this front office. They need to be prepared to keep the young kids in the event that they break out early and demand large second contracts.

Reactions: Riche16 and jas

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

"Duchene said throughout the playoffs he enjoyed “every day being a Blue Jacket,” but the reality is Columbus will have to sacrifice another first-round pick if they re-sign him. Dzingel, who also came over from Ottawa, was a healthy scratch in Game 2 in Boston."

What if CBJ worked out a compensation deal with another team -- sold Duchene's rights to another team for a 7th, then that team signed him, and then traded him to CBJ for a 5th? Is CBJ on the hook for another 1st rounder at that point? They did not sign him directly

I can't see any team doing that. That's a scumbag move and in bad faith.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Brooks also sounded like Hayes was not going to be traded.

In all seriousness, if you are JD, why would you come here? Sather is staying on as adviser to Dolan. There is a GM who has seemingly been given carte-blanche to carry out his vision for building a team. You know that if you come in, that GM is not only staying but will also continue to execute his plan. That plan and vision may not coincide with your plan and vision. At least that is how I am reading the tea leaves.

Gorton has not been acting like a man who expects anything to be different no matter who is named president. I would think that he has assurances from Sather (again, who WILL continue to be the voice in Dolan's ear). His plan in in effect and goes beyond just this draft.

Just makes sense to me that Gorton gets the hat and has a conversation with Drury telling him that his way can be very similar. Apprentice for a few more years and then take the hat of the GM of the NY Rangers. Unless for some reason that Gorton has no such aspirations.
Usually you and I are in complete agreement, but in that Brooks article it says that JD had an out clause in his contract if he was offered the NYR Pres position.

That tells me all I need to know. That JD has coveted that position. I don't see him being a powerless figurehead. I think he comes in on board with the plan that is in place and subsequently provides input on how to navigate going forward.

I think it's a perfect fit.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Usually you and I are in complete agreement, but in that Brooks article it says that JD had an out clause in his contract if he was offered the NYR Pres position.

That tells me all I need to know. That JD has coveted that position. I don't see him being a powerless figurehead. I think he comes in on board with the plan that is in place and subsequently provides input on how to navigate going forward.

I think it's a perfect fit.
Fair enough. We shall see. I would think that they would want to have the new President (JD, Gorton, whomever) in place well before the draft.

Reactions: Riche16

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Fair enough. We shall see. I would think that they would want to have the new President (JD, Gorton, whomever) in place well before the draft.
Wouldn't be surprised if it was announced this week. Exit interviews done, Columbus break down... lots of questions. Columbus would want a new pres in place soon also I would think with the Bob and Panarin issue etc.

The sooner the better for all (if it's happening)

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
JD saw the Rangers dark years. He must know blindly throwing money at the roster is not a solution.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
With Sather staying on as an advisor, I think that they only person they would bring in is someone who would share Gorton's vision and plan.

Which is why, on multiple levels, I think that Gorton winds up wearing both hats and eventually passes the GM one to Drury. Gorton has seems to have carte blanche to carry out his vision to a tee. And he has been operating as such. For someone, even a JD, to come in and be told that we have picked a path and it must be allowed to be executed......well, let's just say not sure how many would sign on for that.

Gorton has been operating with clear eyes and a straight heart. He is not taking into considerations how fans feel about things and his vision has been signed off on at all levels of management. With all that, who better than to continue to execute it on a franchise level?
How do you know JD won’t share the same vision as Gorton/Drury?

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
JD saw the Rangers dark years. He must know blindly throwing money at the roster is not a solution.
I remember when the Rangers traded for Pavel Bure. J.D. used to be on Satellite Hotstove in the 2nd intermission of Hockey Night in Canada. It was the closest thing they had back then to Insider Trading. They were talking about the trade, how the Rangers would benefit. J.D. said what the Rangers need is not Pavel Bure, they need an overhaul of their roster and their roster construction processes. I was excited about the trade so he was kinda killing my high.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

If Columbus did that, Ottawa would file a grievance with the league and you can bet your ass that the league would hammer Columbus for it, and probably the other team involved as well. Collusion is something sports leagues take seriously.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I remember when the Rangers traded for Pavel Bure. J.D. used to be on Satellite Hotstove in the 2nd intermission of Hockey Night in Canada. It was the closest thing they had back then to Insider Trading. They were talking about the trade, how the Rangers would benefit. J.D. said what the Rangers need is not Pavel Bure, they need an overhaul of their roster and their roster construction processes. I was excited about the trade so he was kinda killing my high.

I think JD was often right on with much of what he could/would say without him endangering his broadcasting job. Similar in my opinion to how Dave Maloney is now.

Not that I always agree with them, yet there is some sort of wisdom and honesty that seems to shine through even while they kept/keep their toes on the corporate line.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
I think we're going to be more in on Karlsson, IMO.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Look at the teams JD has built in St Louis and Columbus. His teams are full of big, skilled guys with defensemen who can move the puck but also play a more physical style of game. That's almost exactly what Gorton has stated he wants to build in NY. The two guys seem to have a very similar philosophy which is great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad