Confirmed with Link: Is Glen Sather Stepping Down? [UPDATE: Yes]

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Brooks doesn't like Gorton's rebuild. He doesn't like how Gorton views every player as a trade asset. Brooks has written about that. Brooks would have paid Miller and Hayes. He would also pay Kreider. He doesn't like the idea of being patient and added players when the team is ready to win. He calls it a self fulfilling prophesy. Dave Maloney espouses that philosophy and Brooks listed him as a possibility for the job. Go figure that one. Brooks wrote about the Islanders this week. He likes how they are mostly a veteran team and have a few young players on the roster.

He wants the next president to basically run the team and make a decision on everything. The vision of the team. The GM. He mentions Brendan Shanahan. Brooks acts like Shanahan invented the game. Shanahan gave Babcock an 8 year contract. He hired Lamoriello, Hunter and Dubas. The only one left is Dubas. The Leafs won the lottery in 2016. Shanahan came in and fired everyone. The Rangers aren't the 2014 Maple Leafs.

Brooks wrote Yzerman was interested in the Rangers president's job. I saw Yzerman's press conference. The Wings asked for permission to speak with him in early March. TB immediate granted permission to Detroit. Yzerman couldn't stop talking about his love for the Red Wings and Michigan. Yzerman had many discussions with the Red Wings. How was Yzerman interested in the Rangers job in early April when he had already talked numerous times to Chris Illitch and Kenny Holland about becoming the Wings boss? Yzerman wants to be THE GM. Not the team president.

Hartford is a disaster. The Rangers fired the coaching staff. They have to get that situation right.

This idea about the Rangers talking to as many people as possible about gathering intel on the Rangers operation is whack. Who are they supposed to speak with to gather intel? Al Murray picked the players in TB. Yzerman inherited Stamkos and Hedman. They got Kucherov in the 2nd round because of the Russian factor. Teams were scared on the KHL and their money. Other failed executives? Someone who has never held a position in management?

Whatever.

Easier to sell papers/clicks by writing 20 pieces about exciting expensive UFAs or by waxing nostalgically about stuff the likely readers already have some emotional attachment to.

Reactions: haveandare

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
What are the chances that the Rangers have already interviewed JD and know hes coming?

IMHO - zero

JD wouldn't do it while team's season going on
and i don't think Gorton would ask, while that team's season going on

this isn't like trying to interview an assistant coach for a head coach opening
and with NYR and HWP seasons done, there isn't justifiable urgency to interfere with an active team, even with a #2 pick and AHL coach to address, the GM is in place

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
IMHO - zero

JD wouldn't do it while team's season going on
and i don't think Gorton would ask, while that team's season going on

this isn't like trying to interview an assistant coach for a head coach opening
and with NYR and HWP seasons done, there isn't justifiable urgency to interfere with an active team, even with a #2 pick and AHL coach to address, the GM is in place

Detroit did it with Yzerman.

I don't think its that big of a deal.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
Detroit did it with Yzerman.
I don't think its that big of a deal.

agree to disagree;we are just seeing these cases differently
Yzerman had already begun process of departing TB months ago

Steve Yzerman steps down as general manager of Tampa Bay Lightning in stunning move
Sep 11, 2018 Steve Yzerman steps down as general manager of Tampa Bay Lightning in stunning move
"Yzerman said that his new role will allow him more flexibility to spend time with his family in Michigan"

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
Brooks doesn't like Gorton's rebuild. He doesn't like how Gorton views every player as a trade asset. Brooks has written about that. Brooks would have paid Miller and Hayes. He would also pay Kreider. He doesn't like the idea of being patient and added players when the team is ready to win. He calls it a self fulfilling prophesy. Dave Maloney espouses that philosophy and Brooks listed him as a possibility for the job. Go figure that one. Brooks wrote about the Islanders this week. He likes how they are mostly a veteran team and have a few young players on the roster.

He wants the next president to basically run the team and make a decision on everything. The vision of the team. The GM. He mentions Brendan Shanahan. Brooks acts like Shanahan invented the game. Shanahan gave Babcock an 8 year contract. He hired Lamoriello, Hunter and Dubas. The only one left is Dubas. The Leafs won the lottery in 2016. Shanahan came in and fired everyone. The Rangers aren't the 2014 Maple Leafs.

Brooks wrote Yzerman was interested in the Rangers president's job. I saw Yzerman's press conference. The Wings asked for permission to speak with him in early March. TB immediate granted permission to Detroit. Yzerman couldn't stop talking about his love for the Red Wings and Michigan. Yzerman had many discussions with the Red Wings. How was Yzerman interested in the Rangers job in early April when he had already talked numerous times to Chris Illitch and Kenny Holland about becoming the Wings boss? Yzerman wants to be THE GM. Not the team president.

Hartford is a disaster. The Rangers fired the coaching staff. They have to get that situation right.

This idea about the Rangers talking to as many people as possible about gathering intel on the Rangers operation is whack. Who are they supposed to speak with to gather intel? Al Murray picked the players in TB. Yzerman inherited Stamkos and Hedman. They got Kucherov in the 2nd round because of the Russian factor. Teams were scared on the KHL and their money. Other failed executives? Someone who has never held a position in management?

Whatever.
Are you on Twitter? I love reading your posts on here :)

Reactions: egelband

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If he takes with him Kekalainen as GM.
Doubt that is happening. Sather is staying on as adviser to Dolan and he tends to listen to him. I do not see a version where Sather signs off on replacing Gorton. Frankly, I think that Gorton is cemented right now.

The more I see how things are unfolding, the tea leaves as I read them have Gorton picking up the extra title and holding for a few years, while having a frank conversation with Drury. In a few years, Drury takes the GM title. Why would Drury wait? Because he would get to take title of being GM of the New York Rangers. Gorton waited and got what he wanted. I think the same case could be made regarding Drury.

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
What are the chances that the Rangers have already interviewed JD and know hes coming?

It’s not a formal interview - they know him. He knows them. It’s a boys club. If he wants the position, it’s his. Some of you envision this process as if he’s applying for an insurance adjustment gig in Harrisburg.

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
I feel like @RangerBoy in 240 characters wouldn't be as good. No offense meant, but I like his longer takes. And he writes in a way that is very clear and direct. I don't agree with everything he says, but I also really enjoy his takes.
Yeah, I think you’re are right though I enjoy reading his posts anyway so the more the better even if the length is limited.

Who are your favorite posters to read in the NYR forum? Feel free to DM me if you’d prefer.

Reactions: DanishRanger

free0717

Apr 14, 2004
Old Bridge, NJ
I know everyone on this board will blast me for saying this but I think Brian Leetch would be the perfect team President. First Brian Leetch is loved by the fans. 2. Brian Leetch is very intelligent and analytical. He is tremendous in reading the ice and knowing what needs to be changed. Although inexperienced he would have a lot of executives in the room to lean on. With his superior intelligence he could build the Rangers into the next model franchise . IF was a color man before he got the St.Louis got why not Brian Leetch?

Reactions: egelband

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I know everyone on this board will blast me for saying this but I think Brian Leetch would be the perfect team President. First Brian Leetch is loved by the fans. 2. Brian Leetch is very intelligent and analytical. He is tremendous in reading the ice and knowing what needs to be changed. Although inexperienced he would have a lot of executives in the room to lean on. With his superior intelligence he could build the Rangers into the next model franchise . IF was a color man before he got the St.Louis got why not Brian Leetch?
No.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I feel like @RangerBoy in 240 characters wouldn't be as good. No offense meant, but I like his longer takes. And he writes in a way that is very clear and direct. I don't agree with everything he says, but I also really enjoy his takes.
Me too, even though he has yet to like anybody's posts since they introduced that feature here on HF.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York

I don’t think Leetch as team president would be a good idea. There are more reasonable options out there, with JD being at the top of the list.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
No, If a qualification for the job is must have been a member of the 1994 team then we may as well just go ahead and hire Messier. Leetch looked completely uncomfortable on MSG as an analyst. I don't wanna find out how he'd be in one of the big chairs.

free0717

Apr 14, 2004
Old Bridge, NJ
No, If a qualification for the job is must have been a member of the 1994 team then we may as well just go ahead and hire Messier. Leetch looked completely uncomfortable on MSG as an analyst. I don't wanna find out how he'd be in one of the big chairs.
I disagree

I always thought Brian was insightful and analytical. Not the most exciting personality

we agree to disagree

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
I know everyone on this board will blast me for saying this but I think Brian Leetch would be the perfect team President...

i really don't think that role suits Leetch's temperament or priorities
Even as a great player he didn't prefer the spotlight.

But also i don't think a job at that level goes to anyone without years of genuine full-time administrative experience.
This is the most valuable franchise in the NHL, in a city that never stops paying attention; the Board of Governors has devolved into a pack of self-serving spoiled mercenary millionaires.
Not the best fit for learning-as-you-go newcomer.

ChelFan31

Mar 22, 2016
if JD comes in as President of Hockey Ops ....

how do you see things unfolding with Jeff Gorton ? would there be a big shakeup with him & Schonefeld
do they have a existing working relationship ? or could you see JD bringing in his 'own guy' for the GM position ?

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
if JD comes in as President of Hockey Ops ....

how do you see things unfolding with Jeff Gorton ? would there be a big shakeup with him & Schonefeld
do they have a existing working relationship ? or could you see JD bringing in his 'own guy' for the GM position ?
I think whoever gets hired to be the new President is going to have to be on board for a few more years of Gorton

Reactions: effen

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
I hope whomever comes in as president wipes the slate clean and starts all over.
GM, Scouts, everything.
I love Slats.
But if hes not here just move on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->